Big ass ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Big ass ticket

K4D4

Ok so I'm riding on a back road with a friend and I got clocked going 130 in a 60.. He Reduced the ticket to 109 so that I'm going 49 over not 50 . The ticket is 360 ******* doallers should I fight it still?? Has anyone fought a ticket? This my first one give me some tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Big *** ticket

the answers you seek are probably better found in the Legal Forum

**** bro. 49 over is still going cost you 4 points demerits. not only that I think this would classify as Major conviction. Which in fact will cost you, your insurance. I would fight it. Get it reduced to maybe between the 16 – 29km/hr over = 3 points (minor infraction). I would start attending church and pray that the cop doesn't show up.

**** bro. 49 over is still going cost you 4 points demerits. not only that I think this would classify as Major conviction. Which in fact will cost you, your insurance. I would fight it. Get it reduced to maybe between the 16 – 29km/hr over = 3 points (minor infraction). I would start attending church and pray that the cop doesn't show up.

lol, key part.

Ok so I'm riding on a back road with a friend and I got clocked going 130 in a 60.. He Reduced the ticket to 109 so that I'm going 49 over not 50 . The ticket is 360 ****ing doallers should I fight it still?? Has anyone fought a ticket? This my first one give me some tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

130 in a 60? 70 over? Reduced to 49 over? And you are thinking of fighting it?

Would you prefer to be fighting the original amount of 70 over? That's what they can do if you do decide to fight the discounted ticket.

Go fight it. I was in a rush that day meeting friends for wing night going 50 over (stupid I know) and cop gave me 49 telling me how nice of a guy he is too :). I made a court date, and got it reduced to a minor infraction which was better than nothing. The ticket did not affect my insurance rate either.

130 in a 60? 70 over? Reduced to 49 over? And you are thinking of fighting it?

Would you prefer to be fighting the original amount of 70 over? That's what they can do if you do decide to fight the discounted ticket.

No. They cannot raise it up after being lowered. Where did you come up with that?

No. They cannot raise it up after being lowered. Where did you come up with that?

Oh yes they can they, simply amend the charge the officer will have noted the ACTUAL speed on the ticket for the crown to use as a bargaining chip. It is done hundreds of times everyday here in Ontario. So yes if he decides to proceed to trial the AMENDED charge will be read into court as Speeding to wit 130 Km/h in a posted 60 KM/h zone.

They could if they REALLY wanted to screw over the OP amend the charge to read 172 stunt driving , (of course the OP would at least be spared the impound as well as other immediate normal "roadside" actions involved with a 172 charge.

Given that the crown will already know the charge was dropped from 70 over to 49 over they are unlikely to be pursuaded to offer much of a "sweetened" deal.

You'll never know unless you show up. In my case they sweetened the deal. Keep in mind it was my first and only offense though. It appears to be OPs first offense as well so I think it will be worth his while to show up and try to get a reduced charge.

Given that the crown will already know the charge was dropped from 70 over to 49 over they are unlikely to be pursuaded to offer much of a "sweetened" deal.

Oh I agree, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just don't wnat the OP to walk hoping to see it reduced substanitially to say 29 or 19 km over. The Crown may offer something, but there isn't a "big incentive" for them to deal it down much.

Good luck OP. Also PLEASE keep the speeds down to a more reasonable pace more than double is generally unacceptabel if someone had pulled out unexpectantaly it wouldn't go well..lol We don't want to see yu appearing in the down/fallen riders sub forum.

You'll never know unless you show up. In my case they sweetened the deal. Keep in mind it was my first and only offense though. It appears to be OPs first offense as well so I think it will be worth his while to show up and try to get a reduced charge.

I got a ticket on the 407 a few weeks ago in the car. 30 over, I had it at 130 on cruise control, just going with the gang. He gave me 5 over, $35 and zero points after sitting in his car for over 20 minutes. Does my record show how hard I fight tickets in the past so he's like "damn this guys gonna haul me in big time if it's too big" so he nickels and dimes me?

Oh I agree, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just don't wnat the OP to walk hoping to see it reduced substanitially to say 29 or 19 km over. The Crown may offer something, but there isn't a "big incentive" for them to deal it down much.

Good luck OP. Also PLEASE keep the speeds down to a more reasonable pace more than double is generally unacceptabel if someone had pulled out unexpectantaly it wouldn't go well..lol We don't want to see yu appearing in the down/fallen riders sub forum.

+1.

I don't want to come across egging on the OP but the cost of that ticket, plus whatever you will be paying for hired help to fight the ticket probably enough to pay for track days.... just saying.

Rule of thumb is you always fight the ticket, and hope you learned a lesson along the process. Cops get paid for showing up in court, and the court nowadays seems to line up all the tickets written by same officer (at least what I saw on the docket was the same officer's badge number all morning) so chances of them not showing up the first appearance is almost zero.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rule of thumb is you always fight the ticket, and hope you learned a lesson along the process. Cops get paid for showing up in court, and the court nowadays seems to line up all the tickets written by same officer (at least what I saw on the docket was the same officer's badge number all morning) so chances of them not showing up the first appearance is almost zero.

Good luck.

Rules of thumb always have caveats.

His 49 over ticket $360 fine is based on a set fine of $6 per km over plus a 25% victim surcharge.

The set fine penalty for speeding 50+ km over is $9.75 per km over plus 25% victim surcharge. Based on the original 70 km over measured by the cop he's looking at a potential fine of $850 if he fights and the court then convicts on the original speed and set fine for that speed. That's an increase of $490 from the original fine.

Sometimes you should just be thankful for what you avoided. If the OP was to fight the ticket and it goes south on him, just the difference in fine amounts would have paid for even more track days than the original fine.

Last edited:

@griff2: This was a good reference. To summarize, the driver was clocked doing 71 km/h on a 50 km/h street. The officer used her discretion and lowered it to 60 km/h as a motivation for the driver to settle it out of court. The driver fought the ticket but was convicted, and the rate of speed was amended back up to the original 71 km/h.

"... in the matter before this Court, after considering the factors provided in section 34 of the Ontario Provincial Offences Act, I am granting the amendment to ‘amend up’ the rate of speed on the Certificate of Offence from 60 kilometres per hour to 71 kilometres per hour in a posted 50 kilometre per hour zone."

Rules of thumb always have caveats.

His 49 over ticket fine is based on a set fine of $6 per km over plus a 25% victim surcharge.

The set fine penalty for speeding 50+ km over is $9.75 per km over plus 25% victim surcharge. Based on the original 70 km over measured by the cop he's looking at a potential fine of $850 if he fights and the courts then convict on the original speed and set fine for that speed.

Sometimes you should just be thankful for what you avoided. If the OP was to fight the ticket and it goes south on him, just the difference in fine amounts would have paid for even more track days than the original fine.

Couldn't agree more :)

The "130 in a 60" is still quite uncomforting, backroads or not.

Figure out what the downside scenario is (possible 172?) and then decide if that is something you can live with.

And when this process is over I think that you will find out that the $360 is the least of your worries. Your insurance may go up many times that.

Nobody gives a **** about demerit points - worry about insurance. 49 over is a major violation by their playbook, and your rates will go up as soon as they find out about it. With some companies (State Farm still?) it puts you right on the threshold on them cutting you off - any other convictions and you're out the door. If you get convicted of this, and then get another ticket, you will be paying through the nose for insurance. I would fight it

Back
Top Bottom