Big ass ticket | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Big ass ticket

Re: Big *** ticket

More reliable than the people that made up the rules?

Wow-the lawyers who drafted the legislation are going to answer the phone? I assumed I would wait half an hour on hold to speak to some underpaid junior clerk with inadequate training. That's more or less how it is every time I call the courts personally or professionally. That is Toronto courts though. I will let you know how it goes. In the mean time if anybody knows the answer...

Big words from the guy with the ticket

Alright--I was wrong. Dealt with in 5 minutes. Spoke to an eloquent and knowledgeable person who said that choosing option 3 would "probably" result in the ticket being amended up prior to the court date.

That is: I choose to go to trial, I get the disclosure which is damning, but in the meantime the officer sees I am fighting it, says "last time I give a guy a break, I'm amending up", and paying the original ticket is no longer an opt out. Instead, I am fighting a 4-pointer. (If there is no fear of amending up then paying the ticket is an option throughout the process.)

Sod it, stupid ticket with no excuse and I did get a big break. I'll just pay. Fighting also requires a lot of travel as mail-in is not an option.

Nice to see some municipalities still manage their administrative affairs with courtesy and proficiency.

Alright--I was wrong. Dealt with in 5 minutes. Spoke to an eloquent and knowledgeable person who said that choosing option 3 would "probably" result in the ticket being amended up prior to the court date.

That is: I choose to go to trial, I get the disclosure which is damning, but in the meantime the officer sees I am fighting it, says "last time I give a guy a break, I'm amending up", and paying the original ticket is no longer an opt out. Instead, I am fighting a 4-pointer. (If there is no fear of amending up then paying the ticket is an option throughout the process.)

Sod it, stupid ticket with no excuse and I did get a big break. I'll just pay. Fighting also requires a lot of travel as mail-in is not an option.

Nice to see some municipalities still manage their administrative affairs with courtesy and proficiency.

Sorry I was away, so I didn't respond to your question. But you already have your answer, once you turn down the crowns offer and opt for a trial then the offer is witdrawn and you takes your chances as they say, with the original amount.

One minor clarification though it wouldn't be the officer saying" last time I give a guy a break, I am going back to the original charge" The decision to offer a "deal" rests solely at the discretion of the crown not the officer. Once the paperwork is turned over to the crown for prosecution they make all determinations as to deals etc. They "may" consult the officer if they are there just to make sure there aren't any reasons there shouldn't be an offer made, (But MOST times the officer isn't present).

One minor clarification though it wouldn't be the officer saying" last time I give a guy a break, I am going back to the original charge" The decision to offer a "deal" rests solely at the discretion of the crown not the officer. Once the paperwork is turned over to the crown for prosecution they make all determinations as to deals etc. They "may" consult the officer if they are there just to make sure there aren't any reasons there shouldn't be an offer made, (But MOST times the officer isn't present).

Thank you--very useful. The clerk didn't say it would be the officer amending up, that was just my assumption. The ticket has a code ("L" I think) and the actual speed written under it so all is transparent to the crown.

Back
Top Bottom