Things I should know ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Things I should know ...

Owlman

Hi All!

I'm looking to get my first bike. I have my M2 and am thinking about starting at no more than 500cc until I can build up some skills and cred. What should I be looking out for when shopping around for insurance? Any providers that are better than others? I did my M1 Exit with Rider Training Institute ... does that help?

Anybody have any thoughts on insurance costs vs. size/type of bikes? I understand sport bikes fall on the *undesirable* side of the cost/benefit scale ...

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all for your time!

B

Insurance rates depend on a lot of factors and you will only get a good idea by talking to an agent. You're on the right track by avoiding SS and high cc machines. RTI helps as well. Where you live is also a factor as is type of coverage.

Good luck.

Age, bike and location make all the difference. If you're under 25, even a 125 will be expensive to insure. That's just the way it is. If you're over 25, things get more affordable, especially if you've been driving for 5+ years and can go with State Farm.

Drop your coat and touch your toes... Got my first one when I was 24 and paid about $1600/year for a 30yo POS Virago500 (mind you I didn't do the rider training course that should help you a bit).

Then last year I decided I wanted something a little more.... modern.. aka disk brakes, ABS, fuel injection, 6 speed transmission.. so I got a 2011 CBR250RA and my rate was still about $1400..

This year my rate dropped to about $1100/year but I'm hoping when I get my full M class in the next 6 weeks that will help again. Oh and all this with TDMM and a clean record :p

Drop your coat and touch your toes... Got my first one when I was 24 and paid about $1600/year for a 30yo POS Virago500 (mind you I didn't do the rider training course that should help you a bit).

Then last year I decided I wanted something a little more.... modern.. aka disk brakes, ABS, fuel injection, 6 speed transmission.. so I got a 2011 CBR250RA and my rate was still about $1400..

This year my rate dropped to about $1100/year but I'm hoping when I get my full M class in the next 6 weeks that will help again. Oh and all this with TDMM and a clean record :p

You had it easy. I paid $430/month on my first bike. Works out to like $5000/year.

Back
Top Bottom