Does anyone have experience with a Dry Cooling Vest (Macna or similar)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does anyone have experience with a Dry Cooling Vest (Macna or similar)?

Bruzza

I'm going on a road trip around in Phoenix in June, and after checking the daily avg temps (being in the 100*F range), decided to look into cooling vests as I tend to run hot even without the desert sun.

Don't like the idea of soaking a vest and wearing that under my mesh jacket, so came across the Macna Dry Cooling vest.

www.kimpex.com/en-ca/jackets/vest-dry-cooling/macna/499173

Wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and if so, hoping you'll share your experiences?

Although I appreciate your opinions, I'm really looking for some insights on this actual product.

Thanks!

[video=youtube;YrCe4wRQhis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrCe4wRQhis[/video]

I did see that video, and the video from Twisted Throttle, but was hoping to hear from someone who's not a dealer trying to sell the vests. :)

Thanks though.

Why hello there....I'll take 10! lol Sorry had too. She's a cutie!

Need to move to Long beach..sigh

lol... yes... California is a very fun place to live..

I did see that video, and the video from Twisted Throttle, but was hoping to hear from someone who's not a dealer trying to sell the vests. :)

Thanks though.

lol.. yah.. its kind of hard to find riders in ontario that would be worried about the heat..(esp. with the winters being so long) but out there its a real concern. What kind of bike do you ride? I also did see some other units that have a actual water pump, seemed a little much, but if you have a cruiser and room on your bike, I would consider it, especially if you are going to be riding through the desert.. I used to live in a desert, and I can promise you that you will want SOMETHING..lol.. good luck on your search! I will keep my eye on this thread out of curiosity!

I don't have the vest but I had a look and it seems like it would work. My concern would be how comfortable it would be but it only weighs a kilo filled with water and it has a fleece liner. In order for it to really work well though you need to be able to let the evaporated water escape easily. When I've ridden in stinky hot weather what I find also works well is something like a neckerchief/buff/bandana soaked in water and wrapped round my neck to cool the carotid area.

I have tried the regular dipping type vest she refers to and I dont see how this will work much better only longer.

With the traditional water dipped vest in hot weather it works well for an hour or so then re-wet it.

BB

In Australia I picked up a "croakie". It's like a handkerchief or small scaff, with crystals. You are supposed to wet it a d use around your neck. The cricketers used to use them years ago. I haven't tried it yet but will give it a go one day. It does look gay though. Lol

Just to circle back on this, I did buy the Macna, and I did wear it in Phoenix over the weekend when it was 90-100*F outside.

In terms of the vest itself, I think it's well made and looks like it'll hold up over time. Filling it up was fairly easy, although you have to really move the water around evenly for maximum performance. Fit was a bit snug, although I think that's the point. I'm about 6'2", 215lbs and I normally wear a size large t-shirt. I bought the L/XL and could zip it comfortably with a dry-fit shirt under it. Bottom of the vest barely made it to my belly button though, so found it a bit short.

In terms of the cooling performance of the vest, I rode with and without it on a number of legs, back to back, over the weekend, and can say that it does help cool your core temp down a bit, but I don't think it gives you $250 worth of cooling. Worked best for me when riding around town at 50-70KPH, because with that speed you get a little bit of airflow. Didn't find much of a difference on the highways with lots of airflow on my body. Also, the water did evaporate very quickly on the highway, given the extra air, heat and lack of humidity.

If it was $100-$150 less expensive, I'd recommend it. Given the price and the inconsistent performance, I'd suggest there might be other options to choose from.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom