Michelin PR2s at the track? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin PR2s at the track?

Chaos

My monster has new Michelin PR2s (1000 or so touring KMs on them). I want to try tracking my bike (Monster 696) at the Mosport RDT this summer.

Will the PR2s do the job, or would it be a better idea to get something more track appropriate?

If it is your first time on the track I'll bet they will be enough tire. Most people wouldn't use an ST tire on the track, but today's ST tires can get you knee down (not that that should be your goal necessarily). If you do manage to get your corner speeds up quickly you'll feel them get pretty squirmy - I am guessing it won't be subtle.

Remember to take a lap or two easy each session to warm them up.

The main problem with a street tire on track is the over heating. AT RTD there are no real straights and the sessions are 15 min and at beginner pace you should be ok.

If it is your first time on the track I'll bet they will be enough tire. Most people wouldn't use an ST tire on the track, but today's ST tires can get you knee down (not that that should be your goal necessarily). If you do manage to get your corner speeds up quickly you'll feel them get pretty squirmy - I am guessing it won't be subtle.

Remember to take a lap or two easy each session to warm them up.

I've done track days, but not on my own bike. I would rent bikes from Racer5 so it's already track prepped.

The main problem with a street tire on track is the over heating. AT RTD there are no real straights and the sessions are 15 min and at beginner pace you should be ok.

I'd likely run in the green group the first time out on my bike.

I ran my first track day at Shannonville on a Yamaha FZ6R (not as much power as your Monster) with Bridgestone BT-021's with about 2000 km on them. I ran in the green group with 15 minute sessions, and I melted the tires. After about 6 laps each session in the afternoon, I could feel them getting really greasy. Even the starter (from Riders Choice) commented that I'd better replace them, just by looking at them before I went out. I put Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's on before the next track day and it was an unbelievable difference. I would say, be prepared for them to get greasy later in the day. They really can't handle the heat they'll generate on the track.

Back
Top Bottom