2015 FZ-07 Security | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 FZ-07 Security

timtek

Hi everyone,

so finally, after years of waiting, researching, asking y'all questions, testing out bikes, borrowing my friend's 125 for a bit, and all the hassle of buying a bike... I'm finally a proud owner of 2015 Yamaha FZ-07.

I'm not sure if it's because the bike is relatively new introduction to the market, but I'm not seeing a lot of information about its security, accessories, etc.

I'm planning on getting a windshield for sure, but the first in line to get before anything is a security device. We have a garage that locks but I work at YMCA and it's a long hour shift sometimes. Considering YMCA has accept-anyone policy, we have some... "weird" people coming in (including rowdy kids that I don't know how they're always getting away from punishments)... with that in mind, I'm looking for a good security device.

I'm looking at Xena XX brake disk locks but ..... I'm not sure which models fit the bike... My guess is the XX6 but there's someone in FZ07 online forum that bought a XX15 (but ... according to Xena website, that shouldn't fit the bike)!

anyone with info on Xena disk locks, or have recommendations of their own about security, let me know.

I can't help you on security except to say I've been on the FZ-07 forums for some time (considering a purchase this spring) and have yet to see anyone mention it.

Nice bike btw ... hoping to get grey in a month or so after the May demo rides. 400 lbs is light!!

If you're really worried about theft than invest in a good loud alarm and a solid disk lock. And always park as close to the front entrance as possible so if someone does try something, odds are there will be other people nearby. Never hurts to sneakily disconnect something during a long shift so that the bike won't start should they get past your other measures.

The bare minimum in security devices is theft insurance. Better is comprehensive, in case somebody tries to steal it and fails, but messes up the bike in the process (vandalism). That said, Xena has a sizing template for their locks on their website. I've never owned a disc lock, some people like them, some people don't trust them because of the danger they present if you forget you have a disc lock. I would never trust myself to remember to remove it every time. If you're lucky, the lock shatters. If you're unlucky, you drop the bike. Again though, some people have no problem at all with them. Another issue is that disc locks do nothing against the type of theft where people pick up your bike and throw it in a van, which is relatively common in the GTA.

But if someone realllllly wants it, odds are they'll take it. I would think that if thieves are going to risk stealing a bike, they'd go for a more expensive brand like harley or ducati or beamer

If you're really worried about theft than invest in a good loud alarm and a solid disk lock. And always park as close to the front entrance as possible so if someone does try something, odds are there will be other people nearby. Never hurts to sneakily disconnect something during a long shift so that the bike won't start should they get past your other measures.

There is a motorcycle parking spot in basement of the facility where it is apparently under CCTV at my work but it's better to have security measure.

The bare minimum in security devices is theft insurance. Better is comprehensive, in case somebody tries to steal it and fails, but messes up the bike in the process (vandalism). That said, Xena has a sizing template for their locks on their website. I've never owned a disc lock, some people like them, some people don't trust them because of the danger they present if you forget you have a disc lock. I would never trust myself to remember to remove it every time. If you're lucky, the lock shatters. If you're unlucky, you drop the bike. Again though, some people have no problem at all with them. Another issue is that disc locks do nothing against the type of theft where people pick up your bike and throw it in a van, which is relatively common in the GTA.

I have the insurance as well as a warranty against theft. I'm aware of those kinds of thieves but I've not yet witnessed it. I'm quite good with remembering stuff like that and I plan on getting some kind of orange strap that connects the lock to a handle bar (was it Kryptonite lock?) that will remind myself that there is a lock. of course, like what Beekman said, if they want it, they'll find a way to take it.... and I'm just hoping they dont want it as much, and that they'll be deterred by the locks and security.

Trackimo is another alternative for security. Gps tracker that can be hot wired to the battery and give accurate coordinates plus history of where the bike goes.

Trackimo is another alternative for security. Gps tracker that can be hot wired to the battery and give accurate coordinates plus history of where the bike goes.

gps jammers are readily available for the serious thief.

but a gps tracker is a good thing to have incase they dont have a jammer.

Last edited:
... I plan on getting some kind of orange strap that connects the lock to a handle bar (was it Kryptonite lock?) that will remind myself that there is a lock..

studiocycle sell such a thing for $5. loops over opposite handlebar. mandatory for disk locks. luckily I was easing out real slow because I was tight between two cars and realized quickly why the bike was resisting...no drop or damage. 10 minutes later I paid my fiver.

My advice... get a decent paging alarm like the Scorpio i900 series. Easy to install (I've installed about 8 scorpio alarms in recent years)
The main reason I got an alarm was to keep kids and undesirables off my bike. Also, if parked downtown, or somewhere public, if the bike is knocked over the alarm will sound and hpoefully get attention. The driver of the car will less likely do a runner, and hopefully some passerbuys gets a licence plate and description if they do. This scenario has been posted on this forum serveral times in the years i have been reading it.

Insurance is good to have, but some people here think its a "prevention" which it isnt. lol! It will just help you out *after* the bike is damaged or stolen.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom