Öhlins > Showa | GTAMotorcycle.com

Öhlins > Showa

ABCarr

Site Supporter
I'm looking down the road at potential suspension upgrades for my 2011 GSX-R750. My normal riding mode does not include track use at present, but I would like to have my setup "track-able", if that makes any sense. I would like a setup that allows adjustability for a fairly plush ride on the street if desired, yet can be optimized for the track when needed.

I don't think many SS track enthusiasts would argue that the Öhlins R&T forks/cartridges with TTX GP shock are anything less than top-tier components. This is likely one of the most adjustable arrangements available. Ideally, with cost-no-object, I would plunk down the cash for the full Öhlins setup, but that is probably not going to happen.

The Showa BPF and shock have received fairly decent recognition, and are track-capable with a bit of work. If I keep the Showa stuff, I would consider upgrading with the Race Tech Gold Valve kits and springs.

I know that some will consider me foolish for thinking about Öhlins for the street.....my real question is, how "good" can I make the Showa setup? Or would the purists say "nothing compares to Öhlins", and to start saving my pennies?

Have the oem stuff setup for you before you spend any extra money. Do a track day and see if the bike does anything wrong, if not you've just saved yourself $$$. The oem stuff doesn't compare to aftermarket components but is it necessary, no.

A GSXR is a street legal track bike. It's trackable from the factory, except for the obvious track day prep. Change the rear shock spring to a softer one as its set up for carrying a passenger and is way to stiff from factory, but you'll have to dial up the prelod quite a bit any time you intend to carry one or it will upset the geometry and handle terrible.

I had a 2010 750 with stock suspension setup properly for my weight, rode the crap out of it and even took it to track when I was a new track rider. More than enough, that bike stock has a decent suspension.

Agree with Dricked

....and if you do upgrade look at used too. I just scored a $1000 upgradeable, user replaceable spring (no special tools) Penske rear shock for $500 but that's because my bike was set up from the factory for bulimic ethiopian dwarves on a diet.

....and if you do upgrade look at used too. I just scored a $1000 upgradeable, user replaceable spring (no special tools) Penske rear shock for $500 but that's because my bike was set up from the factory for bulimic ethiopian dwarves on a diet.

Curious... How much will it cost to refresh/re-spring to your weight?

Curious... How much will it cost to refresh/re-spring to your weight?

I got the shock with the right spring in, but a new one is $112 or thereabouts from what I can see. Yes, I could have just got a new spring for the OEM but Triumph cheaped out on a few parts on the Tiger and the shock was one of them. I could also have gotten a cheaper shock with less adjustability but the one I got came highly recommended. Will I use it to its full potential? Maybe not...but I do know that the new one will let me play a little more off road and it will also help the bike on road too.

Waste of $ until you are flying at a trackday (top group) or actually racing.

I got the shock with the right spring in, but a new one is $112 or thereabouts from what I can see. Yes, I could have just got a new spring for the OEM but Triumph cheaped out on a few parts on the Tiger and the shock was one of them. I could also have gotten a cheaper shock with less adjustability but the one I got came highly recommended. Will I use it to its full potential? Maybe not...but I do know that the new one will let me play a little more off road and it will also help the bike on road too.

Well then for the second part, how much to have the shock properly serviced? Unless it came with a recipt showing it was done right before you got it you should have it done. If it didn't have the spring and needs to be refreshed/valved for your use/ability that's a $900 used shock...

The problem with Ohlins for the street is the service interval, 10 hours on most fork internal kits...How many street riders are actually going to dissasemble, clean, inspect, and replace the oil in their forks and shock every 10 hours or less...

Ive never needed suspension upgrades for a street bike, only when I reached a certain level of track riding was suspension upgrades needed

The problem with Ohlins for the street is the service interval, 10 hours on most fork internal kits...How many street riders are actually going to dissasemble, clean, inspect, and replace the oil in their forks and shock every 10 hours or less...

Ive never needed suspension upgrades for a street bike, only when I reached a certain level of track riding was suspension upgrades needed

This is the only reason why I didn't put ohlins on my bike.

The oem showa big piston fork works very well. I believe they were on the box at daytona not long ago. A rode stock non BP 2009 model until 52,000km. The rear was getting a little loose by then. So I went ohlins, did the front just so it matched the rear. So my suggestion is, if the rear is old 25,000km or more replace it, have the forks serviced, new oil does wonders. When you are running near the front of red group, then decide if you want to spend $2000 on forks. And the service intervals are not that bad. 10 hours of racing, or 15,000 or 20,000kms on the street. I will check my ohlins manual when I get home to make sure.

The oem showa big piston fork works very well. I believe they were on the box at daytona not long ago. A rode stock non BP 2009 model until 52,000km. The rear was getting a little loose by then. So I went ohlins, did the front just so it matched the rear. So my suggestion is, if the rear is old 25,000km or more replace it, have the forks serviced, new oil does wonders. When you are running near the front of red group, then decide if you want to spend $2000 on forks. And the service intervals are not that bad. 10 hours of racing, or 15,000 or 20,000kms on the street. I will check my ohlins manual when I get home to make sure.

10hrs is 30 20min track sessions so let's say 5 track days. This is also only if you want to keep your shock working at it absolute best. It won't self destruct after 11hrs.

10hrs is 30 20min track sessions so let's say 5 track days. This is also only if you want to keep your shock working at it absolute best. It won't self destruct after 11hrs.
Ohlins shock service interval is that short? Just had mine refreshed but damn

Ohlins shock service interval is that short? Just had mine refreshed but damn

This is what I've been told. I'm sure it will still work obviously but to keep it performing at its best... I prefer the once a year approach as opposed to 3.

Well then for the second part, how much to have the shock properly serviced? Unless it came with a recipt showing it was done right before you got it you should have it done. If it didn't have the spring and needs to be refreshed/valved for your use/ability that's a $900 used shock...

No idea but I trust the person I got it from and it came from the same bike, same model, same intended use and a rider of the same approximate weight and very low kms on it. The OEM shock is rebuildable to a degree but then I'd be out some riding time too.

While we're on this topic. Who can refresh/rebuild/set up my suspension? Got off the phone with accelerated technology and they said about 3 weeks to have the forks done. :shock:

Does anyone have specific experience with the Race Tech Gold Valve kits in Showa BPF forks and shock?

Back
Top Bottom