Öhlins > Showa | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Öhlins > Showa

Does anyone have specific experience with the Race Tech Gold Valve kits in Showa BPF forks and shock?

I have a Racetech shock/cartridge kit on my Gsxr. I like it enough that I was contemplating on using it when I built my zx10.

Z1 or Pro6 could do your suspension Mina.

Had the shock fitted this morning and took the bike for a spin. Early days and I'm wary of the placebo effect but the bike feels a lot more planted with no wallowing which is good. Only thing now is that the front needs tweaking. John Sharrard suggested the gold valves kit and new springs for my bike. I might just start with new springs if tweaking doesn't do much.

I checked the manuals. The TTX rear says racing ever 10 hours 20 maximum or 30,000km street use. The 30mm front says, racing use only service every 10 hours.

TTX service schedule is way more maintainance intensive than the old PRXLS stuff was.

Had the shock fitted this morning and took the bike for a spin. Early days and I'm wary of the placebo effect but the bike feels a lot more planted with no wallowing which is good. Only thing now is that the front needs tweaking. John Sharrard suggested the gold valves kit and new springs for my bike. I might just start with new springs if tweaking doesn't do much.

Is the length of the new Penske adjustable, and if so, was it set at the same length as the oem? That could account for the different feeling of the bike.

My TTX had 12 days on it when I had it serviced last Fall at AT and the oil in it was so bad it stunk up the shop bigtime.

Is the length of the new Penske adjustable, and if so, was it set at the same length as the oem? That could account for the different feeling of the bike.

My TTX had 12 days on it when I had it serviced last Fall at AT and the oil in it was so bad it stunk up the shop bigtime.

Not sure what you mean? Ride height? The Penske is adjustable for ride height but it's set at the same as stock for now. Just the increased stiffness feels better. The bike doesn't wallow (sort of a bouncy feeling, side to side sometimes) in corners anymore.

The ride height (a.k.a. overall eye-to-eye length of the shock) is one thing, but the rider-aboard sag (a.k.a. preload) setup will affect how the bike feels on turn-in also, because it will change the height where the rear of the bike is sitting with you actually on the bike. Even if that is the same, if the spring rate is different, it will change how much the shock compresses under cornering load. It ain't simple. That it feels better for you ... is a good thing.

I have a Penske shock on my street FZR400 and it works well.

The ride height (a.k.a. overall eye-to-eye length of the shock) is one thing, but the rider-aboard sag (a.k.a. preload) setup will affect how the bike feels on turn-in also, because it will change the height where the rear of the bike is sitting with you actually on the bike. Even if that is the same, if the spring rate is different, it will change how much the shock compresses under cornering load. It ain't simple. That it feels better for you ... is a good thing.

I have a Penske shock on my street FZR400 and it works well.

I might pick your brains on how to go about setting the rebound and compression accurately at some point unless trial and error is simply the best way.

Back
Top Bottom