New exhaust = backfire | GTAMotorcycle.com

New exhaust = backfire

robm

Hi all,

Total newb here... I just had to run out and get an upgraded exhaust for his bike before I did any research on potential problems it could cause.

Long story short is I installed a complete Yoshimura exhaust on my 2014 Kawi ER-6N. Now it's backfiring just about every time I come off the throttle, at first I thought it didn't sound that bad but after a few hours of riding it got a little annoying. I also have some concern of long term damage I could be causing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Embrace it. Nothing like riding around at night with the occasional flame coming out of the back. It looks amazing. Sometimes I'll make my bike do it on purpose.

Makes me giggle everytime.

I heard this happens though because the bike is lean. Some guys on ninja forums have taped a portion of their air filter to balance out the extra air in the air fuel mixture. I wouldn't recommend that though

Get it tuned. Running lean means running hot, and it's not good for the engine.

FYI backfire is through the intake, afterfire is through the exhaust. Get it tuned and disable the air injection system, it helps quite a bit.

Bad exhaust gaskets will do that.

Not sure about kawi's but on gixxers most just block off the smog lines or get block off plates and that cures the problem, tuning works best.....sometimes both

Afterfiring on the overrun is usually a sign of an air leak somewhere within the first 20" or so of the exhaust system. It could be exhaust port gaskets not sealing, exhaust headers insufficiently torqued, or an air leak where the exhaust header transitions into the muffler. Check your installation. If needed, use a gasket to seal the joint where the muffler attaches. If your bike is equipped with an air injection system, disable it as suggested above.

If you've installed freer flowing muffler, then the mixture will have changed and you'll have to have the system retuned to bring the AFR back into line with manufacturer's recommendations.

So you're the one that beat me to the user name "robmack"!

I will check everything you listed, seems reasonable based on the fact I do not own a torque wrench... If that doesn't clear it up I guess it's the power commander/tuning route.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!

Afterfiring on the overrun is usually a sign of an air leak somewhere within the first 20" or so of the exhaust system. It could be exhaust port gaskets not sealing, exhaust headers insufficiently torqued, or an air leak where the exhaust header transitions into the muffler. Check your installation. If needed, use a gasket to seal the joint where the muffler attaches. If your bike is equipped with an air injection system, disable it as suggested above.

If you've installed freer flowing muffler, then the mixture will have changed and you'll have to have the system retuned to bring the AFR back into line with manufacturer's recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom