Can taxpayers sue school board for breach of contract? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can taxpayers sue school board for breach of contract?

BrownBrady

*** deleted insensitive thread ***

Guys, my apologies. It was insensitive of me for posting this thread. I didn't mean to offend anyone or start a flame war. I already got my answer on page 1. Mods please delete or lock this thread. Thanks.

EDIT:
*** The question has been answered *** The answer is "no." Tax payers elect the government into power which is directly responsible for hiring & managing school boards. Thank you for all of your replies.

Last edited:
What about the rest of us who pay education taxes through our property tax and dont have kids? What service are we getting whether they are on strike or not? Just pointing out a different point of view....

Last edited:
Well I feel ripped off all year long...lol.. I understand its all for the greater good of our society to have a good education.

a class action could work.. if they can show this is a standard ongoing breach of a bonafide business contract.

Just treat the teachers like the government employed babysitters they are. Don't mind humiliating them in public. You pay the bills.

Just thought though, if a lot of people in Durham withheld the education portion of the next payment, that would really sting lol.

Email them all, copy all your friends in the region, tell them you don't want to pay. Post their replies publicly. Most won't. A couple will give you some canned response about how they know it sucks but they are doing their best (and the apologize for the inconvenience, TTC style bla bla bla) and a few will be ***** and tell you that you have no right to complain shut up and pay.

http://www.ddsb.ca/Trustees/ContactYourTrustee/Pages/default.aspx

I would investigate some sort of passive-aggressive-faux introvert approach. Done correctly you might right an injustice and and attract some birds* in the bargain.

* British for chicks oh behave.

What about the rest of us who pay education taxes through our property tax and dont have kids? What service are we getting whether they are on strike or not? Just pointing out a different point of view....
Did you go to school?
You're now paying for the education you received earlier in life.

As for suing the school board...I'm curious.

That's a very good question.

My oldest son is in his last year in High School in Durham so its actually a very important year for him. If he fails to get the grades to move on to Uni, or at least the program that he wants would the Union and/or Board be liable? It seems neither want to resolve the situation, but the kids are the ones who are suffering.

Aren't these people paid enough already?

The police are over-paid. Any who thinks that teachers are, should give it a try. Not as easy as you think. Sure there are some bad teachers and some teachers who are jerks, but you'll find that in every occupation.

That's a very good question.
My oldest son is in his last year in High School in Durham so its actually a very important year for him. If he fails to get the grades to move on to Uni, or at least the program that he wants would the Union and/or Board be liable? It seems neither want to resolve the situation, but the kids are the ones who are suffering.

Your son may have stay an extra year to get the grades he needs. Sorry for being too simplistic, but if I hired a contractor to renovate my home, and he/she was a no-show or failed to complete the job on time, I could sue --- at least in small claims court. But just doing some googling now, it seems lawyers are hesitant to take on the unions.

Have you stopped for a second to ask yourself why are the teachers on strike?

You pay your taxes to the government and not the school board, so you should sue the government for keeping the teachers now for over 2 years without a contract.

Do you really want your kids in classes where there are no limits to how many kids they can put in one class? You think teathers will be able to provide your kid with any kind of one on one time or even time to answer a question if they have 60 kids in one class. But yet you want to sue them.

Give yourself a slap and you may want to read a little about it.

So a fire fighter and police officer can make upwards of 120k - There are no teachers on the sun shine list but yet you think a cops job is more important than the one of a teacher who takes care of your childs education. - This is directed at Rockerguy!
My daughter, who is in grade 11 is in her second week of missing school because her teachers are on strike again. This is the 2nd interruption in 2.5 years. Meanwhile, every year, I keep my end of the agreement by paying the school board via property taxes but in return, I am getting unacceptable (or lack of) service. What rights do taxpayers have besides voting? Can tax payers sue the school board for breach of contract?

Last edited:
Aren't these people paid enough already?

Wages have been frozen for the last 4 years without even a cost of living increase.
They are now going to have larger class sizes and less prep time. The More kids per class the less effective the teacher can be...Your paying the same tax for a less efficient product

Teachers arn't paid as well as you think considering the amount of time they spend outside of school doing work such as lesson prep and marking (decent ones at least). Its a very important job and we don't treat them well and their own union also screws over the good teachers by basing employment on seniority rather than their merit.

Last edited:
A lot of people think teachers are underpaid and overworked. The other half of the population thinks opposite.

Don't rag on anyone for their opinion. It's not the way to change it. A lot of people in today's economy have been "asked" to do more, for less pay. If you don't have a union to represent you then you agree. Just ask anyone in small businesses or self-employed.

I don't like watching teachers strike every few years, but without a pony in this race I have no real issue with it. Other than holding the kids hostage - has a strike ever happened over the summer?

Please don't take hostage the wrong way, but I remember freaking out the year I went to college as the teachers went on strike. Grades, transcripts and that HS diploma were near impossible to get. Thank dog for a student friendly admissions office that understood the holdups as we were applying for post-secondary.

You pay your taxes to the government and not the school board, so you should sue the government for keeping the teachers now for over 2 years without a contract.

Thanks, I have my answer with ZX600's reply, and the answer is "no." It looks like it's the government that has to answer to me, not the school board. Thanks for your replies.

Give yourself a slap and you may want to read a little about it.

So a fire fighter and police officer can make upwards of 120k - There are no teachers on the sun shine list but yet you think a cops job is more important than the one of a teacher who takes care of your childs education. - This is directed at Rockerguy!

I got my education from a board that wasn't unionized. My classmates turned out pretty good.

Firefighters & police save your life directly. Teachers not so much.

Oh yeah as for class sizes, how about university?
Wages have been frozen for the last 4 years without even a cost of living increase.
They are now going to have larger class sizes and less prep time. The More kids per class the less effective the teacher can be...Your paying the same tax for a less efficient product

Teachers arn't paid as well as you think considering the amount of time they spend outside of school doing work such as lesson prep and marking (decent ones at least). Its a very important job and we don't treat them well and their own union also screws over the good teachers by basing employment on seniority rather than their merit.
Everytime I turn on the tv they're on strike

The current strikes are more about claw backs of behefits and about class sizes than straight up pay. If you are wondering about pay the average income in education is around 55k. This includes teachers and support staff, but most of it is teachers...source statscan.

Top of the top pay scale for a regulat teacher is sub 100k (A4 at 10 years), there are some teachers on the sunshine list but they are doing special jobs at the board and/or coordination positions.

In Ontario 23% of the workforce is in a union, this is trending down. This works out to be close to 40% of all households. Of the total workforce 12.3% are part of a public sector union. Again statscan. Striking is part of the process, unless they become an essential service, then an arbitrator decides, this is how cops and fire have been getting the fat raises.

When it comes to teachers the amount of schadenfreude amazes me....haters gonna hate.

Oh yeah as for class sizes, how about university?

Different styles of educations you cant compare a classic self direction university education to that of public to high school

Everytime I turn on the tv they're on strike

There are multiple boards with different contracts throughout the country. Ontario teachers have not been on strike since 2012 as a whole.

Last edited:
There are multiple boards with different contracts throughout the country. Ontario teachers have not been on strike since 2012 as a whole.
I'm not good with arithmetic, I went to a public school, but 2012 is only three? years ago so it doesn't appear a long time between strikes.

Back
Top Bottom