Bike moves with clutch lever fully pulled in | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike moves with clutch lever fully pulled in

marktwothousand

Hi everyone. I went out riding today, and everything started OK. then, about 15 minutes in, I lost my ability to shift... Ie. I kicked the shift pedal when going from 1st to 2nd, but it wouldnt go out of first. Scary moments because I was in traffic and had to pull over. Finally...after a little riding, it seemed to fix itself.

Then, I noticed that at stops, with the lever fully pulled in, the bike was still slightly in gear (ie moving)!!!

so what does all this mean, do I just need to adjust my clutch cable? I tried adjusting it and it seems to have fixed the problem of "being in gear while the lever is fully pulled in". Could these two issues be related...I am thinking maybe I couldn't shift out of 1st, because, in reality, when I had the lever fully pulled, the clutch wasn't fully disengaged!

btw it's a Honda CBR250.

You might have to check down below where the clutch cable goes in to engage and disengage.

I found that a shop hadn't adjusted my down there, and it caused some freeplay in the cable that couldn't be taken up by adjusting it at the grip.

But there are many smarter people here who know better than I do.

You should have just a small amount of play at the clutch lever, about 10 millimeters at the lever end. Adjust accordingly - if the lever play is bigger, then tighten it. If there's no lever play at all then loosen it until there is a small amount. You can also google clutch lever play > Images. Hope this helps.

I would imagine it was your cable. Likely clutch was dragging and when everything warmed up it got worse. Follow the adjustment procedure in the service manual.

A few possible causes:
1. Stretched cable preventing clutch from being fully disengaged when pulled in.
2. Wrong oil causing clutch plates to swell. Can happen with some automotive oils.

Good luck!

Also sound like it may be slowly ripping. That usually occurs by the lever, check it out.

Hey all, sorry to revive an old Thread but I'm really Having trouble with this. :(

I find that the adjustments at the grip, I can't get perfect. Either the bike is too "in gear" with the lever fully pulled, or if I adjust it, the clutch slips too much. And the bottom line, is that as someone who is struggling to learn how to bike, this is making it really difficult.

Does this mean I probably should adjust it from the inside adjuster that's In the bike? It just seems like that is a bit drastic as the adjustments I'm making are so fine. I fear adjusting it from the inside will completely throw everything off, and I'll have to resort to bringing it into the shop, which seems overkill, just to adjust a clutch.

Hey all, sorry to revive an old Thread but I'm really Having trouble with this. :(

I find that the adjustments at the grip, I can't get perfect. Either the bike is too "in gear" with the lever fully pulled, or if I adjust it, the clutch slips too much. And the bottom line, is that as someone who is struggling to learn how to bike, this is making it really difficult.

Does this mean I probably should adjust it from the inside adjuster that's In the bike? It just seems like that is a bit drastic as the adjustments I'm making are so fine. I fear adjusting it from the inside will completely throw everything off, and I'll have to resort to bringing it into the shop, which seems overkill, just to adjust a clutch.

Either you have an exotic clutch operating technique or something is wrong (worn out cable or toasted clutch). It's also worth making sure that the clutch cable isn't sticking, they need to be lubed once in a blue moon. I doubt a CBR250 could be old enough for the latter, I could see freak circumstances causing it to fray at the lever though

Check your owner's manual.

Mine says exactly how to adjust it down below, and how much free play should be at the lever.

Cables stretch, and the adjustment at the grip is only meant for fine tuning on my bike.

Back
Top Bottom