Excessive Noise Ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Excessive Noise Ticket

Hammie

Site Supporter
I know this one has been discussed at length-yes I did a search. One question only, not looking for the opinions on whether loud pipes save lives.

Watched my neighbours kid get a ticket for excessive noise in his Honda Prelude yesterday. No measuring device was used, just the Peel Cop issuing the ticket for what he deemed excessive noise. I do have a Hindle can on one of my bikes so it got me to thinkin'. Mine isn't very loud compared to some brands so doubt it's an issue.

My question is can the ticket be issued without a calibrated device just on the officers opinion?

Thx

Can the ticket be for him revving the snot out of a stock exhaust...i.e. disturbing the peace? Then I would think, yes. And maybe yes if it not a stock exhaust, cause then it's not road legal.

Wasn't revving the engine. Cop was at an intersection. Kid stopped, proceeded through at normal pace and was immediately pulled over. It is admittedly a loud aftermarket exhaust.

[h=3]Unnecessary noise[/h] (4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

I think a db needs to be used to assess a noise level. I think there is a max db at idle and another at 2-3k rpm.

(Excessive noise ticket)

I think a db needs to be used to assess a noise level. I think there is a max db at idle and another at 2-3k rpm.

(Excessive noise ticket)

Only local by-laws use this method citing SAE J2825. The HTA, which I posted, has no provision for actual dB levels.

I know this one has been discussed at length-yes I did a search. One question only, not looking for the opinions on whether loud pipes save lives.

Watched my neighbours kid get a ticket for excessive noise in his Honda Prelude yesterday. No measuring device was used, just the Peel Cop issuing the ticket for what he deemed excessive noise. I do have a Hindle can on one of my bikes so it got me to thinkin'. Mine isn't very loud compared to some brands so doubt it's an issue.

My question is can the ticket be issued without a calibrated device just on the officers opinion?

Thx

Both the bylaw and HTA tickets are rather subjective. The language of the applicable HTA section is remarkably dated. No measurement device is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom