Hi I'm new here and I have a bunch of questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi I'm new here and I have a bunch of questions

So I am ready to write my M1 written test, I just have a couple of questions to sort out before I commit to the next 90 days before the written qualifications expire.

My current situation is I have no motorcycle qualifications right now, and I don't have any personal riding experience yet. I have studied the MTO book and that's about it. What I want to know is should I get the bike I want sorted out, write the test and contact insurance about my situation and in what order would be the best to do this?

Also, the bike I am looking to use for riding is a family bike we've had for a while, A Yamaha Heritage Special (I think its the XS400, not 650)

But the bike hasn't run in maybe 20 years, just been stored in a garage. So I'm thinking there is a ton of work to be done to that first.

I guess I'm just wondering what the other more experienced people on this forum would do in this situation, what do I tackle first?

Thanks very much!

Book the course and then get the M1 to sync with it, if you are committed to being a rider. If the XS is going to be the bike, see if it can be brought back to life first. If yes, call around for insurance. If not, start looking at bikes and then call the insurance for an exact quote before buying a bike.

Last edited:
Book the course and then get the M1 to sync with it, if you are committed to being a rider. If the XS is going to be the bike, see if it can be brought back to life first. If yes, call around for insurance. If not, start looking at bikes and then call the insurance for an exact quote before buying a bike.

Good advice here. :)

How old are you?

Old guy + old bike (Yamaha xs400) = ~$300/yr insurance
Young guy + old bike (Yamaha xs400) = ?!?

There's no harm in looking at the bike now. Get a manual and start reading on the internet. There's lots to learn. You can even get it started, if you can. No harm.

The easiest approach, although not necessarily the cheapest, would be to book a course, and use their bike to get your M2.

You would then find out if riding is for you, it's not for everyone, before investing in a bike and insurance.

You'd also have 3 or 4 years to resurrect the bike in the garage, and begin riding it.

How old are you?

Old guy + old bike (Yamaha xs400) = ~$300/yr insurance
Young guy + old bike (Yamaha xs400) = ?!?

There's no harm in looking at the bike now. Get a manual and start reading on the internet. There's lots to learn. You can even get it started, if you can. No harm.

I am 23 years old haha. I only want to ride for the summer months as well.

The easiest approach, although not necessarily the cheapest, would be to book a course, and use their bike to get your M2.

You would then find out if riding is for you, it's not for everyone, before investing in a bike and insurance.

You'd also have 3 or 4 years to resurrect the bike in the garage, and begin riding it.

I had considered doing a riders course, but I didn't know I get can get licenses from them. I thought in order to do the driving tests I would have to go to an ontario drive test centre?

There are a few places to check out: MTOhp, RTI, Motorsoul, etc. Will run you about $400. Weekend course with M2 test. I also second Riceburner & Iceman's advice.

This is probably your best advice. See if you or a family member who knows bikes can have have a look and get a general idea of what's needed? There's likely some wise members on here who would possibly help you our there. Rti is the best thing you can do to learn. Do it!

P.S. welcome to the forum

Good advice above so far. Here are my thoughts if I were in your shoes:

1. Pass the M1 test.
2. Buy gear.
3. Take a motorcycle safety course. I recommend RTI.
4. Pass the M2 test.
5. Get the bike checked out by someone you trust.
6. Depending on the outcome, decide whether or not to get it fixed or buy a new/used bike.

I hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

So I got my M1 today and I've been looking at places to do the road test/basic training course.
Looked at Humber and RTI, both are about the same distance from me. Is RTI a better program from what I've seen you guys say on the forums.

I emailed both of them asking about their programs and only Humber got back to me.

So I got my M1 today and I've been looking at places to do the road test/basic training course.
Looked at Humber and RTI, both are about the same distance from me. Is RTI a better program from what I've seen you guys say on the forums.

I emailed both of them asking about their programs and only Humber got back to me.

i prefer Humber myself, but that's what I took. RTI does offer a free retest I believe, if you fail, Humber I believe, you pay extra for a retest.

Code:

When I went to get my Canadian licence I used Humber for the M2 and M2 Exit . It was really good and I have nothing bad to say. Very eye opening at the M2 exit to see people who couldnt control their motorcycles (ie. several instances of dropping and no low speed control) trying for their M. :rolleyes:

Good advice all along here. Pass the tests, price out the bike, price out insurance, review bike choice. I second RTI, thats who I was referred to and found the teachers to be excellent and the info useful. If you don't pass, you retest for free the next week or when you can schedule the test. You can take the M1 exit at any time after writing the M1 but you will have to wait until 60 days after writing to hand in paper work to get M2.
Good Luck and Welcome

I think I may go with Humber then for the simple reason that I can get into a course starting this Thursday and be done by Sunday.

I don't want to wait lol!

i feel that any m1 exit training is better than none. and i don't believe there's a bad choice on any of them.

i personally went to durham college to take my m1 exit course/test. they also do m2 exit which i will be taking.

I am 23 years old haha. I only want to ride for the summer months as well.

Well you cannot ride in the winter.....more or less.....LOL

I know, I know, if it's nice out, roads are dry, sun is out and all that good stuff you might get a few days of riding in the winter, a few in the fall as it will get colder, and a few in the spring as well, but overall you will be out and about from May to October give or take....but you will pay for the insurance all year round.....

Have fun on 2 wheels.....

Cheers

.but you will pay for the insurance all year round.....

There is no options for insuring it month by month? I haven't looked into insurance yet (I know it will cost a lot though)

Also on another note, I am looking for a good helmet. Would like to just go out to a place a buy one, but can't find many places near Newmarket/Aurora.

There is no options for insuring it month by month? I haven't looked into insurance yet (I know it will cost a lot though)

Also on another note, I am looking for a good helmet. Would like to just go out to a place a buy one, but can't find many places near Newmarket/Aurora.

you pay for the whole year, plus you need continuous insurance to benefit, and hope it will go down in price the more years you have yourself insured and a clean record

Royal Distributing has a big sale on right now, check them out, they have a few locations to chose from I think the Innisfil location is probably your closest one, or the Oshawa one

Back
Top Bottom