Cancellation issue and question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cancellation issue and question

DJM

Site Supporter
Called to switch bike coverage but needed a day of dual coverage in order to ride the old bike to dealership to do trade-in.

My insurance company requested a signed cancellation letter be emailed to them that specifies when I want coverage to end on the old bike. I specified April 29 @ 0001 hrs. They rejected the letter, saying the time is incorrect and needs to be 12:01 am. I know I'm nitpicking, but I thought the 24 hr format was used and recognized universally. Is it invalid?

Ins. is stuck in the pattern they use. 12:01 am is pretty standard...even hard printed on the forms. Just resend the letter to their specs and be done.

Are yo insuring the new bike with the same company? If so why do they require a cancellation letter? Your NOT canceling your modifying an existing policy, (changing vehicle). I have done this probably 30 times with various vehicles in the last 35 years. Not once did I ever send a cancellation letter, just added new vehicle and deleted old vehicle. Now I have cancelled policies when I moved companies.

Called to switch bike coverage but needed a day of dual coverage in order to ride the old bike to dealership to do trade-in.

My insurance company requested a signed cancellation letter be emailed to them that specifies when I want coverage to end on the old bike. I specified April 29 @ 0001 hrs. They rejected the letter, saying the time is incorrect and needs to be 12:01 am. I know I'm nitpicking, but I thought the 24 hr format was used and recognized universally. Is it invalid?

Yep, same company and policy#. The agent specifically stated that I had to send a signed letter of intent to cancel the coverage on the first bike. Like I said, I'm nitpicking with the time format but it's a hassle to try to redo when you're doing 12hr shifts at work.

I'm yet to see any legal document using the 24hr format, everyone uses 12:01am format.
They are only doing that so they can cover and not charge you for an additional day, be appreciative and comply.

I normally don't do that to my clients, but I've heard of it being done.

Last edited:
I'm yet to see any legal document using the 24hr format, everyone uses 12:01am format.
They are only doing that so they can cover and not charge you for an additional day, be appreciative and comply.

I normally don't do that to my clients, but I've heard of it being done.

My work requires 24hr format, no chance of mistaken times so I'm used to expecting it I guess. I'll comply and be cordial, but appreciative is not in my plans.

It's BS. You have automatic coverage for change of vehicles for 14 days from time of delivery. Cancelling will cost you prorata premium for the previous vehicle because you are likely cancelling before the term expires.

It's a simply change of vehicles and it happens all the time. Not sure why you are getting the run around?

Who is the insurer?

RP is agent and I believe it's Echelon that underwrites. My current term expires 3rd week of June. I'll call Monday morning and speak with a different agent to figure it out.

Just carry your liability slip for the old bike.

If you get stopped, it won't be a problem. The cop will see it's a new registration etc.

You will have full coverage.

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm not sure why they would have you do it another way?

You're taking the old bike in and picking up the new at a dealership. Don't see how this is different from a car and the policy is transferred all the time for cars. The ins. companies just overlap coverage for the day. Shouldn't need a cancellation.

The time issue is simple, just comply with the pigeon holers. The only time I could see a problem would be if the first bike was being kept and an underwriter thought might it get ridden.

This is a change in coverage not a cancellation. Cancellations have serious costs attached.

I have never had to do this on a cage. I advise the insurer ahead of time getting an idea of any rate change and usually get a fax / email confirming the discussion.

I can see where a computer would get upset and make an unrealistic demand.
Let's say the transfer date is April 30th. If your old bike is covered until midnight then you don't have coverage on your new bike unless the ownership exchange is done at midnight.

Is RP getting into this nit-picking?

Last edited:
You work for the military? they're the only ones i know that use this format. :)

Not so. Police use 24 hr format, some compnies that run 24 hour operations also use it to avoid confusion as to weather something occurs at 23:15 (11:45 pm) or 11:45 am.

But yes insurance slips always have, (since 1979 when I got my first policy) show as 12:01 am

Not so. Police use 24 hr format, some compnies that run 24 hour operations also use it to avoid confusion as to weather something occurs at 23:15 (11:45 pm) or 11:45 am.

But yes insurance slips always have, (since 1979 when I got my first policy) show as 12:01 am

23:15 = 11:45pm?? eeeeeentereshting......

Just opened my new renewal policy. Got dinged $84 for the "cancellation" FFS. Called RP and they have to have an adjuster look at it. Agent said that I shouldn't have used that term, I said I was told to, piss me right off.

Back
Top Bottom