Cracked gsxr frame help! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cracked gsxr frame help!

yardi

So I noticed a small hair line crack on the bottom of my frame on both sides right on the factory welds. Got the bike completely taken apart and noticed an even bigger hair line crack on the inside of the frame right on the same factory weld. I need to get this properly welded by someone that knows what there doing. Anybody know a good welder that can do this for me? Thanks

What gen GSXR is it ? and what model ?

Good luck, Ive had this issue fixed on older GSXr's with welding only to have the crack eventually come back through the new weld. Nice to see Suzuki is still building bikes with frames that stress crack

I also just got a 04 ZX10 in the shop to be powder coated with a small crack through the powder coat that was on it, I chemically stripped the old powder off and sure enough the crack is in the fame also...Im going to get that tig welded but again there is a good chance of it coming back through the new weld in the future

Last edited:
So I'm I screwed? I don't do wheelies or stunts. Nor was this bike in an accident. So I don't no what would make my frame crack? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
So I'm I screwed? I don't do wheelies or stunts. Nor was this bike in an accident. So I don't no what would make my frame crack? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Wrong settings on the welding equipment by Suzuki at the factory.

Welding too fast, globbing the weld material on, but not getting adequate weld penetration into the parent metal.

They had a recall on certain years of GSXR1000 to either replace the frame if it was cracked or epoxy (!) a stiffener plate in place, but the 600 and 750 frames have the exact same weld, probably welded at the same station by the same guy using the same settings (it's not a robotic weld ... if it is, their robot programmer needs to be taken out back).

Wrong settings on the welding equipment by Suzuki at the factory.

Welding too fast, globbing the weld material on, but not getting adequate weld penetration into the parent metal.

They had a recall on certain years of GSXR1000 to either replace the frame if it was cracked or epoxy (!) a stiffener plate in place, but the 600 and 750 frames have the exact same weld, probably welded at the same station by the same guy using the same settings (it's not a robotic weld ... if it is, their robot programmer needs to be taken out back).
I'm surprised that pass through QA

Op Its fixable, the weld needs to be ground out and rewelded. Its not hard to do but it does take awhile. Call some local mechanical contractors. Any good welder can do it if he has the proper equipment. But only a small shop will take the time to do it.

Personally. I would do as asbove. Grind reweld. Then have a joining plate welded over it. Extra ins. Cant hurt.

My 04 zx10 cracked and it was in a place where the frame had to be stripped down to get it in a position to weld it properly. Instead of risking it cracking again or in another area I replaced the frame with a blank which was apparently a revised version from the factory for $750.

I would contact Suzuki and see what a new frame costs and have your vin stamped into it. It may only be a few dollars more than all the hassle of getting yours welded and fixed.

Back
Top Bottom