jack up car one side at a time. safe? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

jack up car one side at a time. safe?

I'm sure you're more qualified to make these claims then the engineers but I'll stick to what the manual says
Yeah the same engineers who design an engine that has complete rod bearing failure at 100k? They can't even make a reliable variable valve timing system.

Buy a 80-120k high performance M car and then change the oil every 25k LOL.... retarded.

For you paranoid types, take the old oil to a lab and do a simple oil analysis when you change your oil. It will tell you how dirty your oil is.

For the vehicle I drive, a modern Jap sedan, on the forums, a guy did 12k miles (US) and had his oil tested.

The lab said the oil was virtually perfect, and they felt it could have went another 3k miles before needing changes.

I don't buy the 5k oil change anymore. I truly believe today's modern engines and longer intervals are juuuust fine.

Also, going back to page 1. Using ramps are ghey, waste of money, take up space, and overall useless.

A simple, quality hydraulic floor jack, which comes in handy for oil changes, winter tires, and flat tires. Far more useful than silly ramps.

Sent from my Passport

Yeah the same engineers who design an engine that has complete rod bearing failure at 100k? They can't even make a reliable variable valve timing system.

Buy a 80-120k high performance M car and then change the oil every 25k LOL.... retarded.
The rod bearing failure had nothing to do with oil or oil change frequency. Also, it was limited to the '01-02 M3's, not all e46 m3's. Furthermore, the same oil and change interval was used on all e46 m3's, not just the '01-'02's. Secondly, the vanos issues are due to the rubber chosen for the seals, not the oil. Any oil at any oil change interval would have caused those failures. If you're so dead against long interval oil changes, why not post up some numbers from an oil analysis lab to support your claims?

buddy of mine who was/is a distributor for Castrol motor oils, told me the synthetic oils were good for 25 thousand Km, before starting to break down, it was not something Castrol advertised to the general public, but he had spec sheets that backed up the claim not just from Castrol, but independent labs that do testing as well

For the vehicle I drive, a modern Jap sedan, on the forums, a guy did 12k miles (US) and had his oil tested.

The lab said the oil was virtually perfect, and they felt it could have went another 3k miles before needing changes.

Sent from my Passport

Holy carp if that's true we won't run out of oil in 80 yrs, it'll be closer to 160-200yrs. This could have implications on national security. Maybe somebody should alert the feds?

I'm talking about the e90 m3 and e60 m5.

Knowing that I was driving a car with an engine prone to rod bearing failure and gummed up VANOS would I still change the oil at 20+ mile intervals? No thanks, I'll fork over the extra $300/year.
The rod bearing failure had nothing to do with oil or oil change frequency. Also, it was limited to the '01-02 M3's, not all e46 m3's. Furthermore, the same oil and change interval was used on all e46 m3's, not just the '01-'02's. Secondly, the vanos issues are due to the rubber chosen for the seals, not the oil. Any oil at any oil change interval would have caused those failures. If you're so dead against long interval oil changes, why not post up some numbers from an oil analysis lab to support your claims?

Btw m3 forums are brimming with oil analysis information. Most owners are doing MUCH more frequent changes as a result.

buddy of mine who was/is a distributor for Castrol motor oils, told me the synthetic oils were good for 25 thousand Km, before starting to break down, it was not something Castrol advertised to the general public, but he had spec sheets that backed up the claim not just from Castrol, but independent labs that do testing as well

Again "synthetic" is a weasel word in NA. Even between the same type of castrol oil weights there can be a big difference.

I been told, but never confirmed it, that in europe synthetic oil has to be a group IV or better base in order to be called synthetic. Maybe that's why in europe people go for 25K changes with synthetic.

I go 8K on my 1.8T audi just because of the confirmed sludge issue. Dunno I have a hard time believing oil change interval is a big factor to sludging, but heck it's a real problem so I might as well play along. If I keep the car for 200K, it's 13 extra oil changes if I go to 8000K. That's about $800. Dropping the subframe, pan and doing an oil pump service is about $500 plus my work. I figure I am better off not finding out to save $300.

Last edited:
Here's a question in line with the thread. How do you lift your car without damaging the frame coating? I put some rubber on the jack but the coating peeled in a few spots. Now I just spray dupont chain saver on the frame every time I jack it.

I been told, but never confirmed it, that in europe synthetic oil has to be a group IV or better base in order to be called synthetic. Maybe that's why in europe people go for 25K changes with synthetic.

Was it me? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Here's a question in line with the thread. How do you lift your car without damaging the frame coating? I put some rubber on the jack but the coating peeled in a few spots. Now I just spray dupont chain saver on the frame every time I jack it.

Rubber hockey pucks?

I'm talking about the e90 m3 and e60 m5.

Knowing that I was driving a car with an engine prone to rod bearing failure and gummed up VANOS would I still change the oil at 20+ mile intervals? No thanks, I'll fork over the extra $300/year.
Oh, didn't know it kept going to the newer models. I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with the oil used, rather than how often it's changed? All of their M engines are required to use Castrol TWS, and all of them have rod bearing issues. Strikes me as more than a coincidence. Not to mention the fact that none of the other engines have this problem but they all have the recommended 25k oil change intervals.

Just to note, that 25k on bmw is arbitrary. It fluctuates if you drive it harder

Oh, didn't know it kept going to the newer models. I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with the oil used, rather than how often it's changed? All of their M engines are required to use Castrol TWS, and all of them have rod bearing issues. Strikes me as more than a coincidence. Not to mention the fact that none of the other engines have this problem but they all have the recommended 25k oil change intervals.

It has to do with moronic BMW engineers who apparently don't know a single thing about bearing clearance and eccentricity. The end result will be fried bearings regardless, but a long oil change interval means more metal content in the oil and a much earlier bearing failure.

Obviously this is one special case, and I'm seeing that other cars can get by with long intervals just fine. Personally I just wouldn't risk it to save a hundred or two per year, especially on a high end car.

Back
Top Bottom