jack up car one side at a time. safe? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

jack up car one side at a time. safe?

It does matter on the car, you cannot place a jack where ever you feel like on certain vehicles, some spots cannot carry the weight of the vehicle you will end up with a jack through the floor board, or you will bend something or another......cars of many many years ago yes, today's cars.....no way

It does matter on the car, you cannot place a jack where ever you feel like on certain vehicles, some spots cannot carry the weight of the vehicle you will end up with a jack through the floor board, or you will bend something or another......cars of many many years ago yes, today's cars.....no way

I thought my post was clear. Jack the car up from the location that is reccomended, you then place the jack stand under a solid point on the car. I guarantee the control arms don't just float around on a bmw nor are the mounted to an unstable part of the car ie the floor board. The jack is taking all the weight and the stand is there to save your bacon if the jack fails. Obviously you don't place the jack stand under the gas tank and expect it to take the weight of the car.

Ps, my cars not that old

I thought my post was clear. Jack the car up from the location that is reccomended, you then place the jack stand under a solid point on the car. I guarantee the control arms don't just float around on a bmw nor are the mounted to an unstable part of the car ie the floor board. The jack is taking all the weight and the stand is there to save your bacon if the jack fails. Obviously you don't place the jack stand under the gas tank and expect it to take the weight of the car.

Ps, my cars not that old

That is the problem, there are not many solid places on today's cars, and they will not hold the weight, try and find a solid spot on a front wheel drive car, take for example a Mazda 3, no where in the back to jack the car up, other than the designated spot for a jack, don't use the spots that are designated and your crushing the lip of the car body and whatever else is under there, or the skirting, and so on, if your using points not designed to hold the weight your twisting the body or the frame and things will get out of alignment quickly, try jacking up the rear end of a C63, unless it's the jacking points, first off it's so low even a low profile jack can barely get under, and then there is nothing solid to place the jack to lift and or hold, and so on, even the OP's BMW does not have a lot of solid points to jack up and or hold a car up on jack stands.

not sure what car you have, but I know of the many recent cars I have had, you don't just lift a car from where ever you want....

And the cheap version is a drill-operated pump at $10.49 plus tax and a length of refrigerator ice-maker water supply tubing if still needed to step down tubing size. You just have to supply your own pail.

This is pretty much what I use.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/self-priming-drill-pump/A-p5770771e

5770771.jpg

Wow nice.

The OP's original method will work. My 330's rigid enough that jacking under the rear jack pad will lift the entire side of the car, the rear more than the front obviously, but the front will come up. And your car will not flip off the jack stand, it will settle down and sit there, no worries about that. The area of concern is the jack you intend on using. If it's the stock emergency jack, STOP!!! That thing is a piece of $#!T and will probably crumble if you try to lift the car high enough in the rear to put a stand under the front. If you're going to do this, get a good low profile hydraulic jack, and jack the entire front of the car up, or ramps as mentioned earlier.
One other thing to note:
Oil change at BMW - $100 + tax

7L of GC (German Castrol) 0W30 at Can.Tire - $91 + tax
Mann Oil filter - $10 + tax

You really aren't saving anything going at it yourself unless you buy cheaper oil.

That is the problem, there are not many solid places on today's cars, and they will not hold the weight, try and find a solid spot on a front wheel drive car, take for example a Mazda 3, no where in the back to jack the car up, other than the designated spot for a jack, don't use the spots that are designated and your crushing the lip of the car body and whatever else is under there, or the skirting, and so on, if your using points not designed to hold the weight your twisting the body or the frame and things will get out of alignment quickly, try jacking up the rear end of a C63, unless it's the jacking points, first off it's so low even a low profile jack can barely get under, and then there is nothing solid to place the jack to lift and or hold, and so on, even the OP's BMW does not have a lot of solid points to jack up and or hold a car up on jack stands.

not sure what car you have, but I know of the many recent cars I have had, you don't just lift a car from where ever you want....

This is my last post about this. I never said just jack the car up from wherever, I said place the jack stand under a solid point on the car so if the jack fails you won't be crushed you still need to jack the car up from the reccomended points. You weight the stand slightly so it will stay in place. Also were doing an oil change so we're jacking up the front of the car...

My cars an 02 wrx but it's not the only car I've ever slid a jack under. If your driving a C63 chances are your not servicing the car in your driveway either.

Just like to add always put a safety device under the car when jacked. I normally put the removed wheel.

Also you can use the differential as a jacking point. Just use wood or rubber to prevent scratches

Why does the entire front end need to be in the air for an oil change anyway?
get your hydraulic floor jack out. Put the corner up. Jack stand for support. Drain plug and filter out. If you have to, lower the car for 2 mins to make sure all of the oil is out. Throw her back up and reinstall plug and new filter. Drop car and refill with oil. Have a beer and contemplate your manliness.

2 page discussion on how to lift a car in the air for an oil change lol

Oh yes MOST C63 drivers change thier own rear tires/brakes/diff fluid in their driveway. Ffs

not my fault some cannot be so intimate with their cars

but if it can be done in my driveway it is, as I enjoy it

so much that the garage will be insulated and heater installed so work can be done even in the winter

Well I learned how to prevent scratching my differential. I just need to consider which option is best. Right now I'm leaning towards wood. I'll trade a little scuff for the surefootedness of wood over rubber.

Wtf is wrong with people these days?!?! too many video games and participation trophies!

I've lifted up the whole side of a good many cars by using a good long section of 4x4 lumber along the rocker panels to spread out the load (a lot).

You can also lift at suspension attachment or pivot points or spring / damper attachment points if you are careful. If your car has long skinny suspension links/arms, lift or support near their ends (near the pivots) not in the middle where you will be putting a big bending load into them.

I've lifted up the whole side of a good many cars by using a good long section of 4x4 lumber along the rocker panels to spread out the load (a lot).

You can also lift at suspension attachment or pivot points or spring / damper attachment points if you are careful. If your car has long skinny suspension links/arms, lift or support near their ends (near the pivots) not in the middle where you will be putting a big bending load into them.

No way, you'll put the jack through the windshield. Haven't you jacked up a car before? And not one of the old ones a new car.

Back
Top Bottom