Apple Watch = Hand-held Device? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apple Watch = Hand-held Device?

FLSTC

Just curious...

Hand-held devices prohibited

Wireless communication devices
78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages.
Entertainment devices
(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle.
Hands-free mode allowed
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode.

Seems pretty clear to me... it's not hand-held, it's worn. We may see it tested in court one day. Can you use Google Glass while driving? Again, according to those definitions, I don't see why not.

It will be interesting. I would argue the opposite, it clearly say "Entertainment devices" are a no-go, hand-held or other.

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle..

On top, the Watch is not hands-free, by definition you are using at least one hand.... :p

It will be interesting. I would argue the opposite, it clearly say "Entertainment devices" are a no-go, hand-held or other.

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle..

On top, the Watch is not hands-free, by definition you are using at least one hand.... :p

Your bolded part says hand-held specifically. You don't hold a watch. What are the "other" prescribed devices? Too lazy to look it up.

Your bolded part says hand-held specifically. You don't hold a watch. What are the "other" prescribed devices? Too lazy to look it up.

It says hand held OR other... which covers any electronic device unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle...

Honestly, it could go either way, but I think it will be interesting arguments.

If the law says "any electronic device unrelated to the safe operation of a vehicle", then why are their factory installed radios in vehicles??

So what if I have my phone strapped to my arm with one of those cases made for running? Not in my hand. But it is a "hand held device". This watch will be interesting.

My external xm radio is near my shifter and when I change stations I bet it looks like I'm texting. Wonder if I could fight that if it ever happens i he a ticket.

There's a loophole in that law. If your phone is in a phone holder mounted on the dash, you can text with it.

My external xm radio is near my shifter and when I change stations I bet it looks like I'm texting. Wonder if I could fight that if it ever happens i he a ticket.

I'm calling the cops on you, and then we'll find out!
:p

There's a loophole in that law. If your phone is in a phone holder mounted on the dash, you can text with it.
On a different topic, related to text, I was looking at this aftermarket Pioneer unit that replaces the factory radio. It has a very large screen, and one of the best functions is voice-to-text. You talk the commands and the message that you want to send, the radio has voice recognition and talks back to confirm every step, and when the message is OK, the radio "texts" it to the recipient of your choice (it is going really through your cell phone via Bluetooth connection to the Pioneer).

It works flawlessly and now you can text while driving... hands free.

My Windows phone will text via voice command as well. I thought they all do it now.

So what if I have my phone strapped to my arm with one of those cases made for running? Not in my hand. But it is a "hand held device". This watch will be interesting.

Is a hand gun no longer a hand gun when it's in a holster? Is it a hand gun when it's encased in several tons of concrete and therefore useless?

My phone is hand held but goes either in a holder or stays in my pocket. When a call comes in I must touch a button on the aftermarket bluetooth receiver clipped to my visor.

You can't touch a cell phone when you're driving even if it's just to keep it from falling off the seat. That's been to the supreme court.

Last edited:

Hand held and hands free are not the same.

Somewhere someone was selling a phone or tablet holder that mounted to the middle of the steering wheel.

At least in the event of a collision the driver gets a facefull of airbag driven phone.

Cell phone laws are another example of trying to find a way of holding the clean end of a turd.

All of the focus is directed at the hands when the true danger comes from mental distraction and vision issues.

The present laws make the vision issue worse. When texting was legal you could hold the phone up where you at least got some peripheral vision. Now when you cheat the phone is on your lap.

Some studies put cell phone usage while driving in the same risk category as drunk driving. Why not the same penalties? Loss of licence.

Last edited:
Somewhere someone was selling a phone or tablet holder that mounted to the middle of the steering wheel.

At least in the event of a collision the driver gets a facefull of airbag driven phone.

Cell phone laws are another example of trying to find a way of holding the clean end of a turd.

All of the focus is directed at the hands when the true danger comes from mental distraction and vision issues.

The present laws make the vision issue worse. When texting was legal you could hold the phone up where you at least got some peripheral vision. Now when you cheat the phone is on your lap.

Some studies put cell phone usage while driving in the same risk category as drunk driving. Why not the same penalties? Loss of licence.

Because you don't sober up when the light turns green. You can put the phone away and be smart when you use it.

Because you don't sober up when the light turns green. You can put the phone away and be smart when you use it.
No, the Average Joe cannot be smart about it. That's why I'd like to see zero tolerance re: cell phones and driving... most people just cannot do it in s smart, reasonable way.

Who uses watches anymore for anything more than as fashion accessory? if I want the time I look at my phone, or car, or computer. We didn't have these things before hence why the watch was necessary.

What's next? an I-telegraph

Only reason why Apple will make another zillion in sales is because of ...... people

I would rather wear plastic casio than apple-watch.
I 100% agree that wristwatches are status symbol, and anyone wearing apple-watch would not be taken seriously.

Back
Top Bottom