SENA 20s or Scala Rider G9x? | GTAMotorcycle.com

SENA 20s or Scala Rider G9x?

xX-GMan-Xx

Site Supporter
I'm looking into buying a helmet headset. SENA 20s and the G9x by Scala are presently top of the line.
has anyone got either or both?
Which one is better than the other?

Are there other options that may be available that offer more value for money?

I purchased the Sena SMH10 last year and have had absolutely no issues. Clear intercom, speakers and microphone.

I have talked to several customers while riding the bike, and they didn't even know I was on the motorcycle. Also the battery life has been phenomenal.

Granted I have not tried the Scala..... but the Sena has been very good for me.

Most will not have tried both, because they are both good and typically is no need to switch. Every now and then someone buys a lemon from one of the brands and swears that the brand has let them down and blah blah.....

Sena seems easier and more intuitive to use. Scala seems louder and has better range. I owned both and stuck with the Scala only because I was already happy with it and the G9 is a great unit. They both have excellent features most notably being waterproof and very good for talking/listening while moving at speed.

As for value for your money - probably the Sena SMH10 is the best value, because it's cheaper. Not sure if the issues with the 20s have been worked out yet.

I would advise against the 20s they seem to be very buggy and not at all reliable. I have 2 and when they work are fantastic unfortunately they randomly shut off change modes etc. SMH10 might be a better choice.

I would advise against the 20s they seem to be very buggy and not at all reliable. I have 2 and when they work are fantastic unfortunately they randomly shut off change modes etc. SMH10 might be a better choice.

Had the same problems, and returned them. Now have two new units. Hopefully, they work better.

Most will not have tried both, because they are both good and typically is no need to switch. Every now and then someone buys a lemon from one of the brands and swears that the brand has let them down and blah blah.....

Sena seems easier and more intuitive to use. Scala seems louder and has better range. I owned both and stuck with the Scala only because I was already happy with it and the G9 is a great unit. They both have excellent features most notably being waterproof and very good for talking/listening while moving at speed.

As for value for your money - probably the Sena SMH10 is the best value, because it's cheaper. Not sure if the issues with the 20s have been worked out yet.

I have both (well I have a G9, not sure what the G9x is). I haven't had the 20s long enough to perfect all the settings and earphone placement yet but first impressions are that the G9 is actually a more friendly unit. For instance, whereas the Sena states that it has hands free operation, it really doesn't. Only in standby mode can you say "hello Sena" and then put music on etc. When music is running or some other operation is running you have to tap or double tap buttons or the unit to enter voice command mode. With the G9 I could use truly hands free commands to skip music tracks or stop music etc.

Vote for the scala. Me and the gf use it and it works well. Lotsa settings to custmize it to your liking. Buttons are a little fidgety to use, but im under the impression itll be like that for all comms because of the gloves you use.

But there is no wrong answer or bad unit. I guess whatever fits your budget?

+1 for scala. Love mine. Proper hands free voice commands. I don't find the buttons hard to touch with gloves either.

Happy Sena SMH10R customer here. Love the slim profile. I get asked about it while riding around town.

Have used the intercom function once during a 600km day trip, worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
I don't have a sena or scalla rider, i have these instead (a pair is $80) been using them for the last 3 years, 1km range how ever you can only link up with 2 other riders (total of 3 talking together)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1000M-B...rcycle-Helmet-Stereo-Headset-FM-/201279127157

for $10 more ($90) you can get a pair that will link up to 6 people

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-BT-Blue...Intercom-Headset-1200M-6-Riders-/151484048229

I have mine linked to my iphone, listen to music with them, can take calls, can change the headphones for ear buds if one wants so someone in a chase vehicle would be able to run them without having to wear a helmet.

First off thanks CruisnGrrl for the most economical recommendation. Sometimes the simplest of things work the best. and one cant argue the bang for the buck in going with these two.

On a second note, SENA announced in February their new product SENA 10C. it seems they are upgrading 20s with a Camera. sounds like a good option where you wont have to worry about attaching two seprate accessories and make the best of it with this 2 in 1 option. For those looking for more information check out the link below.

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/10c/

I don't have a sena or scalla rider, i have these instead (a pair is $80) been using them for the last 3 years, 1km range how ever you can only link up with 2 other riders (total of 3 talking together)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1000M-B...rcycle-Helmet-Stereo-Headset-FM-/201279127157

for $10 more ($90) you can get a pair that will link up to 6 people

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-BT-Blue...Intercom-Headset-1200M-6-Riders-/151484048229

I have mine linked to my iphone, listen to music with them, can take calls, can change the headphones for ear buds if one wants so someone in a chase vehicle would be able to run them without having to wear a helmet.

Great suggestion, but is it compatible with any other brand's Intercom? A lot of people use Scala/Sena.. so it's easy to hook up with them.

The newer Sena's/Scalas are suppose to be somewhat cross/brand compatible.

I got 2 Sena SMH10's for $179. They have a long battery life and work flawlessly so far. Takes 2 seconds to intercom pair them.

I just wish the Sena had more buttons, and less-all-in-one-button.

One of the two replacement units are now toast. I'm beginning to regret going the Sena route. Anyone else issues with the 20s'?

Theres no wrong unit. Go with whatever most of your friends ride with (as you can have group conferencing while riding)

Great suggestion, but is it compatible with any other brand's Intercom? A lot of people use Scala/Sena.. so it's easy to hook up with them.

The newer Sena's/Scalas are suppose to be somewhat cross/brand compatible.

I got 2 Sena SMH10's for $179. They have a long battery life and work flawlessly so far. Takes 2 seconds to intercom pair them.

I just wish the Sena had more buttons, and less-all-in-one-button.

Haven't tried it with any other brand.

I've been using the SMH10 i got around christmas (not a lot of seat time with it), but it's been working flawlessly for me.

First off thanks CruisnGrrl for the most economical recommendation. Sometimes the simplest of things work the best. and one cant argue the bang for the buck in going with these two.

On a second note, SENA announced in February their new product SENA 10C. it seems they are upgrading 20s with a Camera. sounds like a good option where you wont have to worry about attaching two seprate accessories and make the best of it with this 2 in 1 option. For those looking for more information check out the link below.

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/10c/

First post-er over here!
I own the G9x and am very happy about how happy I am with it. I am interested in the new PackTalk model that Cardo has coming out.

I did see the announcement for the Sena 10c, but my concerns are this:

- One angle for the camera. Ever. The whole right side of the video will be filled with helmet!?
- No lens protection.
- 2 hour battery life while using camera. Camera dies, intercom dies.
-Size. (looks big in photos at least)

I initially thought the concept was very interesting, but in practice I believe it to be MUCH better to keep these two worlds separated.

Of course, this is just my two cents!:p

First post-er over here!

I did see the announcement for the Sena 10c, but my concerns are this:

- One angle for the camera. Ever. The whole right side of the video will be filled with helmet!?
- No lens protection.
- 2 hour battery life while using camera. Camera dies, intercom dies.
-Size. (looks big in photos at least)

I initially thought the concept was very interesting, but in practice I believe it to be MUCH better to keep these two worlds separated.

Of course, this is just my two cents!:p

Well I think you have some valid points there.
about the camera angle; isn't it the same for every brand. with Go Pro attached to your helmet you only have one angle which moves as your head moves?

Not sure how long is Go Pro battery life but yeh 2 hours is nothing for video recording...

One of the two replacement units are now toast. I'm beginning to regret going the Sena route. Anyone else issues with the 20s'?

I've heard about this latch issue, where this latch to lock the Bluetooth unit to the helmet clamp may break (since its made of plastic) and then the whole unit is pretty much useless as you cant lock it in place. However Sena has now replaced the plastic latch with an aluminum one.

Never heard of ant technical issues.

Back
Top Bottom