Perforated leather overpants? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Perforated leather overpants?

unL33T

Don't think I've posted this question on this forum before...

Does anyone know of a company that makes perforated leather over pants? With a full length zipper down the side to get on/off easily over your clothes. I don't need anything special. I don't even care if knee armor is included (I have strap on knee armor that will probably stay in place better, anyway).

I can find perforated pants and non-perforated over pants, but few, if any, options for perforated over pants. Looking for over boot/touring style.

Vanson Leathers told me they can make any of their pants in perf but there's an extra charge and their stuff is already pretty costly.

If you can suggest a solid leather pant with decent ventilation I might consider that, too. I saw a few mesh/leather ones but they had no leather over the front which is a part of my body I find very dear to me.

Thanks.

I have been wearing the RevIt Gear 2 pants for a few seasons. While they're not perferated per se they are more of a mesh/leather hybrid. All the impact areas are lether so the safety aspect is there. They have a waterproof liner that you can use to block the airflow on cooler days. I've worn them down in to the low single digits with some Under Armour Cold Gear and been fine.

[video]https://youtu.be/uoYkXdxdvgk[/video]

I thought those ones didn't have the side zipper? Also, my comment about no leather protecting the front bit was actually targeted towards these pants. If those bits get injured I might as well be dead lol.

See if you can find some Icon Compound over pants on closeout. Leather and textile construction. Knee pads have different pockets you can slip them into to adjust for leg length. Been using mine for a while now without issue. Don't buy larger than your normal pant size (unless you're really beefy) - they fit large intentionally. Made that mistake and had a pair sitting on a shelf for almost 1.5 years before managing to sell them. Also

Looks like those are the same with little protection in the front. Otherwise they look quite nice. Maybe I'm worried about my junk more than I need to be.

Looks like the Revit Gear (not 2) had leather across the front, which they took out for the 2nd version for whatever reason. But it's still missing the full side zippers (because they are pants, not overpants).

attachment.php
vs
gear-2-front.jpg

I don't think there's much chance of you sliding down the road on your junk unless you're in some wierd yogo position when you dismount.:lol: I don't know that you'll be able to find a leather overpant with a full side zipper. The zip is a weak spot and having it in the impact zone of leather pants would be a bad idea. Like you, I want to take good care of my stuff and thats why I like to let it breathe.;)

Icon Compound Overpants, check Canada's Motorcycle, Kijiji or RE-Gear. I have a pair and they are great! I wore them down to Deal's Gap last summer and was very comfortable/safe. Over heating was not an issue.

You'll probably not find anyone making pants with a side zipper. Too much grief. You'd have the zipper bending at the waist then the knee.Zippers today don't like bends.
It would also mess you up bad if you slid down the road on it. Pretty much a design flaw that would create returns/repairs.

I don't think there's much chance of you sliding down the road on your junk unless you're in some wierd yogo position when you dismount.:lol: I don't know that you'll be able to find a leather overpant with a full side zipper. The zip is a weak spot and having it in the impact zone of leather pants would be a bad idea. Like you, I want to take good care of my stuff and thats why I like to let it breathe.;)

You'll probably not find anyone making pants with a side zipper. Too much grief. You'd have the zipper bending at the waist then the knee.Zippers today don't like bends.
It would also mess you up bad if you slid down the road on it. Pretty much a design flaw that would create returns/repairs.
I can find quite a few pants with a side zipper. Actually, most of the overpants I find have side zippers. I just can't find any that are perf/mesh with leather AND have the side zipper.

Never really thought it'd be much problem but maybe you're right that it's not a great idea.

These have side zippers but, alas, not leather.

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-ge...cya1372JJq8agJCz3g-wWCpnvmPc84BeBoBoCsaPw_wcB

makeyourownjeans.com has agreed to make me some perforated leather jeans with full length side zipper but seeing as they aren't a motorcycle gear company I'm hesitant to go with that product.

Another option is I just buy leather overpants and perforate them myself but that would probably turn out not very good.

Last edited:
I like the leather overpants with side zip. I have a pair that I bought at the show many years ago - but they are quite thick and warm. I recently bought a second pair - River Road Pueblo Cool Leather Overpants (bought from Dennis Kirk - also avail from Canada's motorcycle). Supposedly they have some sort of reflective layer that reduces solar heating... I went down one size so I could just wear these by themselves or can fit with thin dress pants (office wear). They do feel cooler than my original pants, thinner than my other pants but still thick enough for better protection than jeans. Time will tell how the summer goes on. If it does get too hot during the commute, I'll just use them by themselves.

Have a pair of those. Very nice quality overall. No perforations though - there is a zippered vent on each thigh that is about 4.5 inches long or so. Apply some good waterproofing and they won't let you down.
Are they going to be really warm even with the vents?

Lots of articles out there about areas which will most likely see abrasion as a result of you going down. Fortunately your crotch is the least you'll have to worry about.
Honestly if you want the most protection factor in this - perforation on any kind of leather reduces its integrity. That's why racers don't have any perforation on impact areas. The more seams and zippers you add the likelihood the compromise will take there......in the end you get what you pay for. ICON makes some nice looking gear but honestly compare their product to Dainese or Vanson and you'll see the difference. I know not everyone can afford Dainese or Vanson but if you want the best leather product for protection you'll have to pay....or buy used.
Honestly don't even know how much of a cooling effect perforation will have on overpants if you have jeans on underneath. Good luck.

I read that perforated leather is almost just as strong as non-perforated. But that may have been bogus information.

Vanson does make these: http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-HIGHWAY_101_PANTS-2.aspx?

And they said they can make them perforated, but they are very expensive compared to some other options. I'd be looking at $500 USD plus an extra $75 charge for perforation. A bit high for me.

See if you can find some Icon Compound over pants on closeout. Leather and textile construction. Knee pads have different pockets you can slip them into to adjust for leg length. Been using mine for a while now without issue. Don't buy larger than your normal pant size (unless you're really beefy) - they fit large intentionally. Made that mistake and had a pair sitting on a shelf for almost 1.5 years before managing to sell them. Also

I also have these pants, they're fantastic, however they do run a little bit warm on a hot day, but I suppose that can't be helped since they are leather. I got them at the kahuna closeout sale.

They have full length zippers running all the way down the sides, and are easily adjustable.

I did have to take mine to the seamstress though to get them to fix a few threads that were running at the bottom of the pants.

I also have these pants, they're fantastic, however they do run a little bit warm on a hot day, but I suppose that can't be helped since they are leather. I got them at the kahuna closeout sale.

They have full length zippers running all the way down the sides, and are easily adjustable.

I did have to take mine to the seamstress though to get them to fix a few threads that were running at the bottom of the pants.

Do you have the textile version or the mesh version? I can find both. Textile is available in Canada for $226 CAD while the mesh one I can find out of the US for $226 USD (strange that they match despite being different currencies and different stores).

Are they going to be really warm even with the vents?

I wore them down in N. Carolina and Tennessee last summer. They're warm, sure. Was wearing compression shorts and not much else underneath and it wasn't too terrible.

Back
Top Bottom