Scarborough go boom | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scarborough go boom

Well, pretty much done with you, your condescending know it all attitude, and your insults.
Have a nice day :)
I don't consider it a know it all attitude, I consider it educating you on something you don't understand.

I don't consider it a know it all attitude, I consider it educating you on something you don't understand.

Of course you do...

Hope were finished with that now.

What do you think about that quick clean burn of the gas?

Although the recent explosion in Barrie was more flaming.

I read in the Hamilton Spectator over lunch that it was a natural gas leak and that it could be set off by something as simple as carpet static or light switch. Is that wrong?

I read in the Hamilton Spectator over lunch that it was a natural gas leak and that it could be set off by something as simple as carpet static or light switch. Is that wrong?

Why don't we ask slim Jim and iceman.

Why don't we ask slim Jim and iceman.

I just saw on CBC news fire guy doesn't know for sure what happened, still open to possibilities. This is vexing. Also not getting consistent weather from various sources. May have to go outside.

There was some radio banter today about now suspected liquids involved in the expolsion.

Acetylene tanks.

could be suicide

AWH, CHS yes, doorbell, light switch, garage door opener doubt it. I've argued this in my explosion investigation courses many times. Chances are so unlikely to be doorbell, garage door opener, or light switch

A switch handling an inductive load (like an electric motor) is prone to "arc flash": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_flash and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1diE6FZv4

A 110V circuit won't have as much energy behind it but a spark doesn't have to be very big to ignite a near-stoichiometric mix of natural gas and air.

You're supposed to face away from electrical disconnects when switching them, in case this happens ...

A switch handling an inductive load (like an electric motor) is prone to "arc flash": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_flash and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1diE6FZv4

A 110V circuit won't have as much energy behind it but a spark doesn't have to be very big to ignite a near-stoichiometric mix of natural gas and air.

You're supposed to face away from electrical disconnects when switching them, in case this happens ...
A switch for a motor is totally different then a light switch. We are suppose to wear a face shield when shutting off a disconnect switch. The spark doesn't have to be big, but has to have enough heat energy to ignite it, and light switches rarely spark. I know about most of the natural gas explosions in Ontario over the last 25 years, they've either been by contractor mistake, or deliberate acts. Sometimes for insurance or suicide.

Both of you should have a look at those sparking switches and replace them. Doesn't sound safe.

For me, it was about 2 days ago when I flipped a switch in a dark room, and could see the spark illuminate the switch lever from the inside.
I've never seen a switch spark when turning on a light switch, in sure like everything else they become faulty. I've even tried to make a switch spark but rapidly turning them on and off, I've used a thermal camera to check any energy released from a switch. Natural gas requires an ignition temperature of approx. 1200 F to ignite. On top of that the mixture has to be within the explosion range of the gas. Getting to that range by normal leak is next to impossible. I walked into a house on a call years ago and I could smell the gas at the front door, the leak was at a union in the basement, work performed by the owners brother six months previous, who was not licensed. They had AWH, CHS, clothes dryer and a range in the house and not even close to the LEL. Every year we issue thousands of red tags for leaks in the GTA, yet explosions are extremely rare. I don't know of any Nat gas exploration that was the result of a normal leak, like I said usually they are deliberate, or the result of pressure gas filling a building.

Back
Top Bottom