Pennsylvania during Weekdays, and in Mid May | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pennsylvania during Weekdays, and in Mid May

Skinnaird

I've got a week off Mid-may and was starting to plan a 2-3 day trip down to and around Pennsylvania.

My thoughts are that weekdays would probably be good (less traffic, better room rates, etc...)?
Is that a safe bet?

Also, does anyone know what the general road conditions are that early in the season? (I'm expecting it to be similar / better than around here (Niagara region)).

I'm getting a pretty good idea of what roads to hit, and where to stay from some other threads (Thanks!) but was still wondering about the above.

I don't think traffic on weekends is of any concern. Once across the border it's pretty well smooth sailing there and most of the good roads are barely used. As for the road conditions would probably be same as our neck of the woods it is early but as long as temps are good you should be fine.

Ps make sure you ride wykoff run here is one from last year posted may 18th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kF9TezkN8Y

Ok, so I'll pick my days based more on weather, than weekday / weekend.

Most of my route planning seems to be coming from this thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?188167-Where-should-I-go . After reading that, I kinda thought you might help me out about traffic, etc. (Thanks).

Is 2 days generally enough to hit the majority of the roads? (Perhaps leave the third day to repeat my favourites if I'm still up for it?) Or should I bank on 3 days? (I realize this depends on how many food stops, length of them, how many hours / day I can ride, etc..) This will be my first multi-day motorcycle trip, so I'm trying to find that balance between not being rushed, and not pushing my aging body more than I should. I'm probably too old to be riding a SS ;)

Figure 4-5 hours each way to get there and back (from Oakville anyways, maybe an hour less from where you are), taking a good chunk out of your first and last day. For this reason, I like to go down on the first day, ride around there for two days and come back on the 4th day. You can stay in Lock Haven as a good central basecamp and do 300-500 km day loops from there.

I am also in the aging body category, and around there 300-500 km a day will be both fun, and enough, without rushing anything. Enjoy!

I take two long days and snake down to Lock Haven and stay at the Best Western there. Its long days but get to do some good roads twice. Three days is better but I find two is great cost vs time.
This time of year you get then pop up rain in the mountains and wet roads. Other than that, the best two days you can spend on two wheels.

During the week is ideal. Most of the Population is on the east coast or around Pittsburgh, so avoiding those areas during the week will give you some great rides

Pennsylvania_Population_Map_Cropped.png

Depends on when you leave and how far south you want to go.

For 144/44 555 and Wykoff and others 2-3 days is fine.

Further south of Renovo you want 3-4 days.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Pennsylvania_114.html

As mentioned traffic in PA is not an issue...traffic getting to PA across the border can be.

Careful of morning and evening riding....loads and loads of deer and bear in the area.

Leaving early ( 7 am ) by slab to Buffalo you are in good riding in 4 hours. And can get a half day in nicely.

You can do similar even if heading further south by hitting Coudersport by noon and then Cherry Springs over to 144 and follow it south past Renovo and then hit State College for over night.

You should try and incorporate Wykoff and Kettle Creek - Wykoff superb, Kettle creek - I have yet to find really sensible crisscross that catches them all. 144 either north or south of Renovo is some of the most fun riding anywhere and it's different depending on your direction of travel.

If you hit State College then ride the southern part of the good roads and stay overnight - then slab back perhaps using Harrisburg as a base for the second night - there are good roads in the area if you get the Motorcycle Roads.

I'm not as familiar with that area as I'd like and will correct that this year :D

http://goo.gl/maps/enwYh

Coming home it's tempting to stay east but annoying when you get up near Rochester :( - ask me how I know.
Best to swing back west and come up directly below Buffalo.

I tend to come up a back way towards Lewiston to get to Letchworth State park around 5 pm for a wickedly good meal....you can also ride to Buffalo from Letchworth.

You could combine Finger Lakes but there is not much in the way of quality roads and it can be crowded compared to PA ( almost anything is crowded compared to backwoods PA )

Don't rely on cell contact ...you need an offline GPS program....TomTom, MotionXGPS, ForeverMap

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips / info, everyone. With that, it looks like the only hard parts now are going to be getting the weather to co-operate, ang getting 3 people's schedules to line up.

The only downside of paper maps is you need to know where you are first. :D

BTW - early in the season PA can swing from zero to 30 C - take layers.

Last edited:
skinnaird-
i'm 90% sure i'm going on a ride to pa from 16 may. riding with someone is always more fun. if you don't mind waiting for an old slowpoke and the time fits youre schedule lemme know.

Unfortunately, we're going earlier in the week (looking at Tues/wed right now, but that predicted low of -3 makes me a bit nervous). I promised my family I'd be home for the long weekend with them.

Was there on the weekend (May 9 - 10 ) Roads were in pretty good shape - Traffic is not a problem. 2 days will get you on tons of nice twisty roads.
Just leave very early. Wykoff Road says closed - but it is open - they have a small bridge that is dirt filled to cross - that's it.

We're back! (Last night, actually).

First, thanks to everyone in this thread, and all the other threads about riding PA. It made the trip easy to plan, and we had a GREAT time! (Definitely going back.)

We took 400/16 on the way down. It was a relaxing ride (even though it was a little too cold/damp for how I dressed...) but I think I'll take 219 down next time (we took 219 home, and it was faster, and a little more interesting to me. Mind you, we got stuck behind a couple school buses, and I wasn't in the best mood for part of it because I didn't dress properly for the weather).

Stayed at the Laurelwood Inn. Room was decent, and in a good location for the area (close to 44, bar/restaurant attached, Fezz's for breakfast, gas station close by).

After getting to the motel, we checked in, grabbed some food in Coudersport, and went out around 44/144. Awesome roads! (On the way back down 44 we got behind a small tractor/trailer truck and I figured the fun was over unless we pulled over and waited. I was wrong. I have NO idea how the driver was getting that truck down the road that fast. I could have sworn it was going to tip at least 3 times, but he held it together. I'm still amazed at it).

Back to The Laurelwood for some steaks/beer.

Note: there are a few patches that they used tar/gravel to fill potholes on 44. Not terrible, but worth watching out for.

The next day, we headed out 44/144 again, got lost a bit on the way to Hyner View. (If your GPS suggests taking Ritchie Road because part of Hyner Mountain Road is closed... don't. (Unless you're looking for some nice dirt trails to try).

Headed down 120 to Wykoff Run rd (AWESOME!) and meandered over to 219 and headed north to home.

Note: Near the north end of wykoff (for a mile or two) there are some strips of the road (couple feet, the width of the road) that are dug up/fiulled with gravel. Again, not terrible, but worth watching out for. The road no longer has a sign saying it's closed.

I used CoPilot to map out some routes, and to adjust / change as we needed. It worked great, and I'll be using it again. Didn't matter where we stopped, it was always able to find where we were on the map. The phone I was using it on didn't even have a sim card in it, so it can be used without data.

I'm still sore (until this, I don't think I'd been on the bike for more than 4 hours in a day) but already planning for the next trip!

Back
Top Bottom