Looking to join track days this season, getting my first track bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to join track days this season, getting my first track bike

cool

Banned
I'm a noob and looking to join this season. I'm thinking of picking up a used track bike. I like SV650, is the engine forgiving? for a novice, is it easier to control the throttle than a 4 cylinders? Any tips? should I convert street bike (from good condition) or buy a used track bike (possible abused) ?

Ps, i'm using IE8 and I cant go down for a paragraph... weird. A used track bike has one advantage is it usually comes with goodies (suspension, race body..)

Buying a bike already set up for track has the track essentials (bodywork, etc) and you'll save a ton of cash. I wouldn't necessarily say the SV is any more forgiving than a I4 but each would have their pros/cons. Depends if you like the power curve of a twin on the track or not.

BTW, welcome to the fun (expensive) club :)

When you say noob, do you mean new to riding or just new to track? What have you been riding up till now?

Pick up a used track cbr or gsxr if you can since these are the most popular bikes (lots od parts available) also r6 but its pretty mean to short guys so leave that upto your discretion.

Considering your street bike, the sv will be fine. Get a track prep bike as others have stated

Depends on what your goals are and your budget. Add in leathers etc it can become expensive. How mechanically inclined are you as well?

I see lots of people try on bikes that are too big for them and they struggle to learn.

A cheap CBR125, CBR250 or SV650 are your best bets to try the sport with and to learn on. This is a sliding scale. Costs go up as you move up. As does the maintenance and tire/equipment costs.

CBR125s are harder to find track ready now but are cheap to buy and run. The downfall is you would likely outgrow it in the first year.

A CBR250 would likely hold your interest for 1 to 2 seasons and you can get one for $2500 to $3500. Cheap on parts and a set of tires will last you the whole year.

The SV will vary in cost based on it being 1st or 2nd Gen and how many parts are on it. It would hold your interest for several years. But if you are learning it will be the harder option to learn track basics on of the 3 options.

I would never recommend an I4 to someone who wants to "learn" and see if they like the sport. Especially someone coming from a rukus.

My 2 cents. Which most people ignore cause they convince themselves that they want an I4.

A 250 would be my recommendation for all the reasons above and they are a lot of fun at the track, but it all depends on your budget, not for a second think that you are buying a bike and you are set for the track.

My first bike and track bike was the SV650. I loved it, so much. Although the suspension really sucked compared to my R6 or any decent bike really, once you got it leaned in, it did ride like it was on rails. Very smooth power delivery coming out of the corners. Sounds great. Way slower than an inline 4 on the straights... but let me tell you, there was no feeling better than passing someone riding a 600 or a Ducati 748 or whatever on the brakes.

After I felt like I was at my limit on the bike for speed without having to upgrade the suspension, I decided to buy another bike.

If you got one that was already setup with good suspension, you might never want to sell it even if you do get a faster bike.

And I will have 3 250s for sale later this year. :)

A 250 would be my recommendation for all the reasons above and they are a lot of fun at the track, but it all depends on your budget, not for a second think that you are buying a bike and you are set for the track.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think SV650 would be my best bet. I want to have more time on one bike until my skill is improved

My stree bike experience is not consistent, also with tons of bad habits. I've riden nsr125, rgv125 , bw 50, ninja 250, zx6r, ducati monster, rebel 250 and Ruckus. Most of them are overseas and not in Canada. I dont have much time to ride on street so i figure might as well do track days only from now.

My most concern with used track bikes is longevity ....as its usually abused alot more than street bikes

Talk to me later in the racing season. They aren't for sale right now.

They will be for sale once the youngest kid moves to an SV650 depending how his season goes.

Are you looking for an SV650 this season then? Maybe at the end of the year?

Back
Top Bottom