I have money to burn and want a new toy! | GTAMotorcycle.com

I have money to burn and want a new toy!

Mikel

I don't actually have money to burn, but I am interested in getting a new toy. Back in October I tried atv'ing at Ganaraska Forest through TrailTours and now I'm interested in getting one. My big dilemma right now is I own a street bike and a dirt bike and to be realistic I would have to get rid of one to make space for the new toy. The reason I don't ride my dirt bike at the ganny is because it's an American bought bike and never registered it here, so no plate or insurance.
I was thinking of getting rid of the dirtbike to buy a big bore atv like a 1000cc Polaris or Canam or possiblya Yamaha Raptor 700, I mostly plan on riding it either at the Ganny,Gopher Dunes, or B & D atv park. Just wanted to get opinions onwhich machine would be best for these locations? Or should I just buya green plated bike and ride single track at the Ganny?

Why can't you get your bike played here? I know there's some hoops to jump through, but it is possible.

Yah thought about doing that, but I find it often depends on the employee at the MTO, sometime they simply refuse to deal with anything off road related. I also have this itch for massive big bore power and this craving to give a machine way to much throttle and have the rear end slide loose, I just feel an atv might do that better than a bike...I dunno? I could try TrailTours again and rent one of the crf450x's and try single track, I've only ever ridden the Ganny once before.

Riding a 450 in the Ganny on tight singletrack ain't no fun... If your a seasoned rider on tight stuff then go for it. I've ridden both my Huskys in the Ganny and believe me, a lightweight 2smoker 125 is plenty....and it'll still rip 45mph down the wider double trails.

Plate yours and see how you feel after a season, I would never trade a dirt bike for a quad but that is just me.

While I think the others are on to something recommending you register your current bike.

I used to own a Raptor 660R and have ridden a few raptor 700s.

The 660 I owned was great at the Ganny and gopher dunes had lots of fun and would recommend a quad to anyone.

Basically had to let it go when I had kids as a bike became a more realistic way to get my fix.

Drifting a sport ATV is a awesome feeling! Go for it!

Green plate the dirt bike. You can access many more trails in the Ganaraska on two wheels than four.

ATVs look like fun too I suppose, but if you're already predisposed towards riding a motorcycle the thrill might wear off.

On the other hand an ATV has the advantage of being able to be ridden in some places that dirt bikes aren't. I think some of the rail trails are off limits to 2 wheels but OK for 4. Maybe there will be riding opportunities closer to where you live with an ATV.

I did ganaraska with trail tours on dirt bike. Was my first time on dirt. LOVED IT. and so did my buddy who'd only done ATV'ing in his teens.
Other buddy who grew up on dirt bikes also liked the crf230 they gave him.

Yah it's a tough decision. I used to take my bike to motopark mostly but now that I live in Burlington it's 2 hours 20 min away. Gopher dunes and the Ganny are only 1 hr 30 min away. One of those big bore quads will cost almost 16-17 grand out the door. Whereas I could buy a new Raptor for much less. Or maybe I should buy a 2nd smaller bike for the woods? Bikes don't take up much space right? I should try and spend more time in the Gann before I make my decision. I don't think the ganny needs all the power 4x4 and clearance to ride it.

I ride the ganny on an xc 250 and have also ridden a 800 sportsman there , it's like comparing an apple to an orange, I wanted to buy a xc450 but unless your only ridding the double wide trails its to much for the single track, you may get board real fast on a non sport atv, so if your atv bound get a new raptor or a good used 450 or 525 sport quad for the ganny, my 2 cents

If you are thinking quads my take is to get a 2 wheel drive sport quad, the raptor 700 is excellent. I have ridden a few big bore 4x4's such as the renegade 800 and they all feel a bit too heavy and difficult to handle.

I imagine the single track at the Ganny is very nice, however we did find lots of fun places for the quads too!

One thing I always like about the sport quad was it's overall fun level.

All that being said I am thinking of renting a bike this summer and trying the Ganny on two wheels.

Btw; no need to plate the bike for Gopher dunes...

Call up Sam101, he doesn't need his cbr1000 anymore.

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

I've ridden quite a few trikes and ATVs in the Ganny, and on 4 wheels my favorite is still the Banshee. Like you said, you don't need a 4x4 at the Ganny since there aren't any mud pits and the trails are pretty good. A 2 stroke ATV like the Banshee is a LOT of fun power sliding around corners and playing in the sand or tackling the hills.

Last edited:
Living in Burlington you could check out Steel City Riders. It's on private property so there's no need for a plate.

But if you do get a plate there's always Simcoe County trails around Barrie. I'm in Brampton and that's usually where I head to.

Thanks for all the comments. I am definitely reconsidering my lust for a big bore machine. I've always had a soft spot for Banshee's and the beautiful 2 stroke pinging sound. The Raptor 700 looks like an overall improved version of the banshee, although the front end probably weighs more. I also used to belong to Steel City Riders for a season, I didn't really enjoy their track......I found out later why I didn't like it, I only rode it a few times (mostly due to working too much that year) but the times I rode it, it was very wet or had just rained. After talking to a SCR member, he educated me on the type of soil that's around there and it is just terrible to ride in when it's wet, which maybe why I didn't enjoy the track at all.

Riding a 450 in the Ganny on tight singletrack ain't no fun... If your a seasoned rider on tight stuff then go for it. I've ridden both my Huskys in the Ganny and believe me, a lightweight 2smoker 125 is plenty....and it'll still rip 45mph down the wider double trails.

+1
While I'm working my drz400 through the ganny single track a buddy who must have 50 lbs on me goes anywhere with ease on his kx?220 kawi 2 stroke

Back
Top Bottom