CAA Plus deal | GTAMotorcycle.com

CAA Plus deal

marktwothousand

As a new rider I wanted to get CAA Plus, of course I hope to never have to use it. I don't have access to any corporate rates so I was faced with paying full price. I wanted to share a deal I found. I called and asked for promos. They gave me $35 off the $114:

- $10 if you enable auto renewal on your credit card (you can remove this later if you like, they said)
- $25 for holding on the line and getting an auto insurance quote.

I had to Hold about 10 min to get the auto quote coz they were very BZ but well worth the savings.

FWIW, the auto quote was TWICE what I was paying now, so I politely declined :)

Last edited:
Depends on what services you will need. I think MotoLimo is CAA affiliated, but don't know what they charge for a tow. I used to have CAA, but stopped it 'bout a decade ago. So I guess I saved a grand or so. Been fortunate so far.

How does ama work in Canada?

Are they any limitations or can it be used all over?

Never had a problem. I call them up, they send a tow truck. Simple as that.

With an aging fleet of work vehicles, a trailer, personal vehicles and formerly a bike, my membership has been paid for many times over.

A single tow with a private company is easily over $100. For $49US membership, with all the other added benefits, simply a no brainer.

Never had a problem. I call them up, they send a tow truck. Simple as that.

With an aging fleet of work vehicles, a trailer, personal vehicles and formerly a bike, my membership has been paid for many times over.

A single tow with a private company is easily over $100. For $49US membership, with all the other added benefits, simply a no brainer.

What is their arrangement with local tow operators? Can you use anyone or do you have to wait for a specific company to respond?

I like CAA because from experience they have been the quickest to respond (Canadian Tire Auto Club took over 3 hours to respond once), however, CAA is 2x-3x the price of AMA.

CAA Plus peace of mind at any price. Pulled me out of the boondock mud day before Christmas Eve. Will re up.

What is their arrangement with local tow operators? Can you use anyone or do you have to wait for a specific company to respond?

I like CAA because from experience they have been the quickest to respond (Canadian Tire Auto Club took over 3 hours to respond once), however, CAA is 2x-3x the price of AMA.

They use local tow operators. I've noticed they are all ones that don't work for CAA and have nothing good to say about them. As far as I can tell they are small to medium size towing services.

Every call I had the guy was typically 30 min wait, but never more than an hour.

Once, when I was stranded on the highway, they came and towed my car to the mechanic (30 minute drive), and then drove another 10 minutes and dropped me off at home. Needless to say I gave him a $10 tip for great service.

just took a look at AMA and they say they tow up to 35 miles while CAA Plus tows up to 200 km...what if you're stuck out in the boonies somewhere?...wouldn't CAA's distance be a better option in that case?...

My only negative with caa are the brainless trolls they have answering phones. I argued with one during a call that I needed a flatbed as my car is low. The idiot sent a regular truck who pulled in and said the was no way he was attempting to hook up something that low. At the end the flatbed driver was super nice but it took a couple hours from start to finish.

just took a look at AMA and they say they tow up to 35 miles while CAA Plus tows up to 200 km...what if you're stuck out in the boonies somewhere?...wouldn't CAA's distance be a better option in that case?...

I've gone beyond the "35 miles", and the tow guys don't care (within reason). As long as they get paid for the call. Haven't needed to do it yet, but I assure you if they mention the distance, and you shoot them 20 bucks, they will help you out.

From my experience, always easy going guys, that just drive you where you want to go, not totally paying attention to distance unless its super out of the way....

My beef with CAA is the price and max 4 calls, I believe when I was with them a few years ago, it was max 3 calls. I used them all up once, and they wanted big bucks when I needed an additional call. Screw them! With AMA, its UNLIMITED.

Whatever the case, if you feel like CAA is for you, go for it!

Last edited:
CAA Plus peace of mind at any price. Pulled me out of the boondock mud day before Christmas Eve. Will re up.

I agree.
It might be higher than AMA but hey I'm Canadian and the service is there quick with courteous driver service ( in my experience) so worth it.
Texts or App keeps you posted with status updates.

+2 for +1 for CAA Plus

I used my CAA Plus this year and it was a pleasant experience, though it took about 1.5 hrs for the tow to come (it was a Saturday morning?)

The driver was very friendly and helpful, the dispatch I spoke with was as well.

AMA still piques my interest....sounds almost too good to be true if its $49 with unlimited tows (services once a week max)? Is that for real? I'm also a bit confused by their statement that it applies to everyone in the family, but then there is a family membership that says good for up to 5 members?

AMA still piques my interest....sounds almost too good to be true if its $49 with unlimited tows (services once a week max)? Is that for real? I'm also a bit confused by their statement that it applies to everyone in the family, but then there is a family membership that says good for up to 5 members?

I can confirm its true with unlimited tows as I had a bad year once with our fleet vehicle break downs, along with my personal car. But, as you mentioned, only 1 of each type of service per week (ex. 1 tow per week, 1 flat per week, etc)

Not sure how the family thing works, but I've used my membership on family members cars with no issues.

It was posted here a while back, but I recall somebody mentioned Costco has a good auto service club as well. I cant remember the details, but I remember it was better than anything CAA offers at a cheaper price as well.

Some might want to check that out too....

my experience with CAA has been great on the two occasions that I had to use them...one was for a flat tire on my car while I was at work and the other was when a bimbo backed up into my bike and knocked it over...on both incidents the dispatcher was very helpful and help arrived within the stated timeframe...for the bike, a flat bed was dispatched and the operator knew exactly what to do with it...very courteous, polite and efficient in both cases...

however, for $49 US and unlimited tows, I may look into the AMA thing a bit further...

my experience with CAA has been great on the two occasions that I had to use them...one was for a flat tire on my car while I was at work and the other was when a bimbo backed up into my bike and knocked it over...on both incidents the dispatcher was very helpful and help arrived within the stated timeframe...for the bike, a flat bed was dispatched and the operator knew exactly what to do with it...very courteous, polite and efficient in both cases...

however, for $49 US and unlimited tows, I may look into the AMA thing a bit further...

So you've had excellent service from CAA but the US company comes in a couple bucks cheaper........

Costco does come in cheaper, but they also have some poor reviews: http://www.costco.ca/Standard-Plus-Emergency-Roadside-Assistance.product.10364545.html

Their higher packages might be better, but I see no mention of bikes or trailers in there.

My CAA packing is nearing $150 per year now... I went with the CAA Premium as it has trip interruption coverage and vehicle relocation coverage -- which I wanted during my Trans-Lab ride, as if I had had a breakdown in the middle of nowhere it would have been nice to have some reimbursement for the no-doubt high costs I would have had to pay.

I've been a member of CAA for going on 10 years now, and I don't think I have used it in 8. The last time I used it I was not happy -- my crappy VW diesel wouldn't start in -30 weather and when the guy finally showed up (at least an hour wait) to try and boost me he wouldn't let me warm up in his car stating that he had things stolen from there before -- meanwhile I was getting hypothermia sitting out there waiting for him.

I'm considering giving AMA a chance because it is nearly $100 cheaper for a service I have almost never used anyway (knock on wood).

Back
Top Bottom