Long Way Round and Long Way Down on Netflix now. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Way Round and Long Way Down on Netflix now.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Well worth watching. Very inspiring...the first one, especially in eastern Russia is mind bending.
I like how the are done as well.

240px-Long_Way_Round.jpg

Long_Way_Down_cover.jpg

I love both Long Way round and down. Very different trips. Long Way down had a lot more whining about schedules and stuff, but still enjoyable to watch as they went to some amazing places in Africa. I had read rumours that there was a potential Long Way Up in the works, from the bottom tip of S. America to Ewans home in L.A. Not sure if it will happen, but would be cool. I wonder having done what they have done if they would still use the 1200GSA. I have the same bike they used in Long Way Down and love it, but it is a heavy beast and cannot imagine trying to fight through some of soft sand and terrain they went through. A 700/800GS is probably a better bike for bad roads or no roads.

My Wife and I spent a week or two watching these over the winter last year and loved them. Well worth it just for the adventure of it even if you don't like motorcycles that much.

As for the bikes I totally agree, but I'm willing to bet that riding the 1200's vs the 800's had more to do with BMW's sponsorship. I'm sure that BMW wanted their flagship adventure bikes featured, not their mid-priced model, even if it would be more capable.

Well worth watching. Very inspiring...the first one, especially in eastern Russia is mind bending.
I like how the are done as well.

One of the reasons I ride a BMW

[video=youtube_share;eX5O-ZlWe9g]http://youtu.be/eX5O-ZlWe9g[/video]

Watched them many years ago on youtube - I have been waiting for the long way up for many years which is supposed to be from Argentina to Alaska but it never came.

I prefer Mondo Enduro... no sponsorship, no tail vehicle, no wealth and fame -- the common man's trip around the world:

[video=youtube;beEXfEdpDrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEXfEdpDrk[/video]

Thanks - will look that up. I must admit I was appalled at the amount of gear they carried,

Yeah, Mondo Enduro was a group of regular guys (school teacher, welder, etc) who got a bunch of DR350s, fabricated their own racks, etc, and headed off around the world via the longest route -- Britain to Russian to Alaska to Terra Del Fuego, boat to South Africa, and through Africa back to Britain. 40 months on the road.

They didn't quite do all of Russia though... at the time there was no road through the Zilov Gap, so after a few days of hell in the mud bogs of Siberia they loaded the bikes on to a trans-Siberia train and bypassed a bit of the worst spots. Also, a few of the riders had to bail out -- one due to a crash, another due to a lack of money, etc...

The movie can be found on the bigger torrent sites like kat.ph or piratebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_Enduro

Mondo Enduro was a round-the-world adventure motorcycle expedition in 1995-1996. Team members Austin Vince, Gerald Vince, Chas Penty, Bill Penty, Clive Greenhough, Nick Stubley and Mark Friend set off to go round the world by the longest route possible in the shortest time on Suzuki DR350 Dual Sport bikes.Their route took them from London, through Central Asia, Kazakhstan and Siberia; then from Alaska to Chile and finally from Cape Town through Africa and the Middle East back to London.
The expedition was filmed and was subsequently made into a 2 part TV series. Shown on Discovery Travel and Adventure Channel over 40 times, this has since reached cult status amongst biking and adventure travel fans.
The real difficulties in the expedition came in the Zilov Gap, the 400 mile roadless section in Siberia. The team got bogged down here and eventually ended up taking the Trans-Siberian railroad and then river barge to circumvent this problem.
As well as a cult TV show and DVD, the expedition diaries (ISBN 1-904466-28-1) are a fascinating account of a round-the-world expedition done on a shoestring, with rough camping the order of the day.

My Wife and I spent a week or two watching these over the winter last year and loved them. Well worth it just for the adventure of it even if you don't like motorcycles that much.

As for the bikes I totally agree, but I'm willing to bet that riding the 1200's vs the 800's had more to do with BMW's sponsorship. I'm sure that BMW wanted their flagship adventure bikes featured, not their mid-priced model, even if it would be more capable.

These documentaries sold a CRAP TON of GS1200!

I prefer Mondo Enduro... no sponsorship, no tail vehicle, no wealth and fame -- the common man's trip around the world:

[video=youtube;beEXfEdpDrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEXfEdpDrk[/video]

not a TV series but my wife just bought me The Longest Ride by Emilio Scotto. Guy spends 10 years traveling through 200+ countries around the world ON A GOLDWING! He has no crew...no cash...just the bike. It's absolutely amazing. He's pushing the thing across sand in the Sahara and through mud in African jungle. Gets caught up in civil wars, gets shot at, arrested many times, beaten up and nearly killed in Liberia. Totally changed my views, it's not the bike...it's the rider. Get this book, it's really very very good.

Back
Top Bottom