Toyota to spend $1 billion on new factory in Mexico. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toyota to spend $1 billion on new factory in Mexico.

Skully

this not new, out since wednesday but seems to be in the press more so today!!

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to spend $1 billion to construct a new auto factory in central Mexico where it will build the Corolla sedan.

Toyota is joining other automakers rushing to build cars in Mexico, where low labor costs and extensive free trade agreements have turned the nation into a manufacturing powerhouse.

The move is part of a realignment of the Japanese company's North American manufacturing that will also include additional investment in Toyota's Cambridge, Canada, factory to switch from producing Corollas to mid-sized, higher-value vehicles.

The new Mexican plant will be built in the state of Guanajuato in Central Mexico. It will employ 2,000 workers and have the capacity to produce 200,000 vehicles annually. Corolla production will begin there in 2019 starting with the 2020 model.

"Our next-generation production facility in Mexico will be a model for the future of global manufacturing and set a new standard for innovation and excellence," said Jim Lentz, chief executive of Toyota North America. "Transforming our Canadian vehicle assembly plants is an equally important part of our strategic plan to position the North America region for sustainable long-term growth."

The shift is part of the automaker's strategy to organize factories by car platform. The new Mexican factory and existing Corolla plant in Blue Springs, Miss., will have the flexibility to produce a variety of compact cars. After the realignment, Toyota's factories in Canada will produce a variety of mid-sized models based on a larger platform.

Toyota already has a plant in Baja California, Mexico, where it makes the Tacoma pickup truck.

"Having produced vehicles in this country for more than 13 years, we know that the strength of the workforce and manufacturing capabilities in advanced technology make Central Mexico the right place for our newest facility," said Mike Bafan, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing de Baja California and project leader for the new plant.

Toyota also said it would spend about $400 million to expand a factory operated by its Chinese joint venture Guangzhou Toyota Motor Co. to build a new model in 2017.

Toyota said the cost of manufacturing a vehicle at the new factories will be approximately 40 percent less than what it spent to produce a car in 2008.

Other automakers are also eying Mexico.

Later this week, Ford Motor Co. is expected to announce a $2.5 billion plan to expand existing engine and transmission plants in Mexico, according to Reuters.

Earlier this year, a company affiliated with South Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia said it would spend more than $400 million to build an auto parts factory near Monterrey.

Last year, Kia said it would open a $1-billion auto plant in northern Mexico.

BMW also revealed plans for a $1-billion plant in San Luis Potosi last July, a month after Mercedes-Benz and Nissan announced plans for a joint, $1.4-billion plant in Aguascalientes. Audi is building a $1.3-billion factory near Puebla.

Honda, Mazda, Volkswagen, General Motors and Ford already assemble vehicles in Mexico. LINK

Adios, Corolla & Poloz stands pat: BUSINESS WEEK WRAP.

One of the biggest news stories this week was word on Wednesday that Toyota would be moving its Corolla production from plants in Ontario to a new one in Mexico.

The Woodstock and Cambridge, Ont., plants have made more than three million Corollas since the first plant opened in the late 1980s. But the company is moving production to Mexico, where costs are much cheaper.

It's not the end for Toyota's presence in Canada. Although short on specifics, the company says the Ontario facilities will be modified to build what the company calls more "high value" cars. That may be a nebulous bone to workers worrying about their jobs, but the head of the largest autoworkers union in the country isn't buying that positive spin.

"It's a terrible day for the team members of Toyota," Unifor president Jerry Dias said. "You can't take the number one selling vehicle that Toyota has in North America out of an assembly plant and somehow think that everything's going to be fine cause it's not going to be."

CBC link HERE

oshawa gm, toyota looking to move, regardless of them saying that they will continue in cambridge, i know that once something is gone, it stays gone for good. sell off partial hydro, insane unemployment...wtf is goin on in this province??? easier access to beer is good i guess:lmao:

This Provincial Govt either doesnt seem to care or is incompent in realizing what really is important. All I hear from them is how there are dealing with issues that have little to no importance such as beer in grocery stores, full time kindegarden....etc.. People are losing their jobs and these guys come out with half *** changes that mean next to nothing....

Don't forget "cap and trade".

scenario playing in boardrooms in car companies all over the world :

"hmmm, should we open a plant in Mexico and take advantage of free trade and $1 an hour wages... or Canada and pay gargantuan taxes, deal with ridiculous unions and pay $35 an hour + benefits."

What would you choose?

What sunny said. There is no incentive for them to open things here and our gov't is ****** anyways.

I'm not sure how things work in Japan and some of the other Asian countries that import their vehicles here . But I dont understand how those countries dont seem to import too many North American made vehicles yet we allow them to import them here. There should be some protection that restricts the amount of imports from other countries based on either if they allow us to export to them or they have to build a certain amount of vehicles here.

Liberals running the country to the ground

It is easy to blame the Ontario Liberals and they do in fact carry much of the blame. BUT at the same time we have a federal conservative government that believes in and bases policy in supply side economics (a thoroughly disproven theory) and has also further run manufacturing into the ground by favouring a resource based economy.

We are being screwed in Ontario, but it is not just the Liberals...

No matter who is in government its a simple fact Mexican labour is cheaper. There is no way to compete with cheap labour under free trade.

I disagree, as noted above this is not just an Ontario Liberal problem.

The are many ways to control costs and to make the environment prime for manufacturing.

If we raise corperate taxes but at the same time provide aggressive tax breaks per employee, we encourage hiring. In the end Ontario is a big market for selling so smart taxation will pay big benefits.

Hydro rates are likely about 10% of the cost, lowering these rates lowers cost.

Environmental laws need to be relaxed intelligently, lowering cost.

Employment laws need to be relaxed, again intelligenctly. Less redtape is key.

A low dollar is ideal, IMO right about where we are now is ideal. We have been too high for too long.

I can go on for pages.... the important part is to encourage manufacturing through policy and taxation. Mexico has its issues like security.... low wages are just a small part of the equation.

wages are a small part, overall lower costs are the deal. You could put a 35% import tax on a Mexican car and it could still be better for an auto maker than being here.
Between our unions, environmental concerns, compliances, its hard to be on side.

This Provincial Govt either doesnt seem to care or is incompent in realizing what really is important. All I hear from them is how there are dealing with issues that have little to no importance such as beer in grocery stores, full time kindegarden....etc.. People are losing their jobs and these guys come out with half *** changes that mean next to nothing....

They only care about what's on the news and what people will pay attention to. They want votes and care about nothing else than fulfilling their own agendas while in office.

Don't like it? Start a revolution!

This current liberal provincial government the most f*ck-ed one in Ontario history. The damage it has been doing to this province will probably be felt by our grandchildren. I despise those stupid retards who voted it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ford announced its spending $2.5 billion in mexico right around the time the toyota story came out, there leaving in droves, so the
largest employer in this province with the highest paid employees is. THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT. wtf, where did all the work go??? :confused:

Ford to spend $2.5 billion on plants in Mexico, angering UAW

(Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Friday it will spend $2.5 billion to build a new generation of fuel-efficient engines and transmissions in Mexico, creating 3,800 jobs.

The United Auto Workers union, in response, said putting jobs in Mexico rather than the United States will be a major issue at its upcoming U.S. labor talks with Ford, General Motors Co and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

The UAW president, Dennis Williams, said Ford's announcement is "disappointing, but not any more disappointing than GM's decision to invest $5 billion in Mexico,” or those made by all six of the top-selling automakers in the U.S. market.

The companies are drawn to Mexico for its proximity to the lucrative U.S. market as well as lower worker pay than at U.S. plants.

The draw of Mexico complicates the UAW's effort to raise worker pay and keep jobs at U.S. plants.

Ford said its investment, made in its 90th year in Mexico, is a way to keep the company competitive with other global automakers.

Ford said it will build a new engine facility within its engine plant in the northern state of Chihuahua. The facility will build a new gasoline engine that will be exported to the United States, Canada, South America and the Asia-Pacific region.

Production of Ford's I-4 and diesel engines at the Chihuahua plant will also be expanded, making it the biggest engine plant in Mexico.

The company said it will also build a transmission plant in the central state of Guanajuato, in partnership with German transmission maker Getrag.

Ford's announcement, confirming an earlier Reuters report, is the latest in a recent series of auto investments in Mexico.

Earlier this week, Toyota Motor Corp announced it would spend $1 billion for its first passenger car plant in Mexico, and last month, Volkswagen said it would invest $1 billion to expand its plant in Mexico's Puebla state. link to story HERE

(Reporting by Luis Rojas in Mexico City; Additional reporting by Bernie Woodall in Detroit; Editing by Peter Galloway and Leslie Adler)

This current liberal provincial government the most f*ck-ed one in Ontario history. The damage it has been doing to this province will probably be felt by our grandchildren. I despise those stupid retards who voted it in.

It is sad that no one better would run against them they won by being the better choice of the 3 presented. Hopefully next time someone will offer a better choice to vote for.

As an employee that lost his job to a company shutting down due to heavy mfg costs in this country I can definitely sympathize with the situation here. Our costs for mfg were massive in comparison to other countries.

On the other hand, we have a union that continues to demand increased pay, benefits, and all that when they can clearly see that the whole industry was in the shitter. At the costs it takes to mfg in Ontario today (salary, hydro, tax, etc.) It's little wonder that manufacturers are looking to get out of this country. Basically this province punishes manufacturers for doing business here.

The current $ is Def helping out, but should it start climbing again we will see much more of this where we shift our mfg away from ontario and Canada.

We should adopt the same strategy here like they do in Asia . If you want to sell your cars here. Then you need to build a certain amount here. I'm sick of these Japanes and Korean **** boxes being dumped here. Yet they dont allow us to import anyhing over there.

It is sad that no one better would run against them they won by being the better choice of the 3 presented. Hopefully next time someone will offer a better choice to vote for.

Don't count on it. If there is one thing the Provincial Conservatives can do it is disappoint me. Time will tell if they can choose and field a moderate, progressive, leader. For some strange reason they still seem to think that a Mike Harris type of candidate and course is what we are looking for. Veer to the left and offer a real, slightly right of centre candidate and plan and I am confident that they will have a chance to lead the next Ontario mandate. Try to emulate the Neo-Cons running Ottawa right now will lead to another trouncing at the polls.

I have no problem with union in private sectors as there is always a cap what they can squeeze out of the company before the company goes belly up. I have a huge problem with the unions in the public sectors as technically they can squeeze as much as they want and government in general won't easily go bankrupt.

Back
Top Bottom