track suit shopping | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

track suit shopping

If you don't mind waiting for a custom made suit, I highly recommend these guys:

http://www.batesleathers.com/race_suits/onepiece.php

didn't even know Bates was still around. Bates,Vanson,, bullet proof old school,, heavy,heavy suits. The armour in the Bates is not as good as the Vanson [Just working on a Vanson] But personally I would put aftermarket armour in any suit. Vanson/Bates will last you a long time and take some real abuse,,, fit is not as good as the leather is thicker, but the fit is appropriate for the type of leather. "If" "I" was buying a custom suit I would go Pilot,Vanson,Bates,, and please,, go to a good tailor, flip the guy what ever he wants to measure you. Don't get your significant other to measure you,,PLEASE! Why is it people think leather lasts for ever! Get a new suit and save your butt. Five years is a long time now days!

I think you just don't like how they smell after 5 years. J/k

I bought my current suit as I was scared of the backlash from you for repairing the Nexo again.

When you are too embarrassed to go to the guy who fixes your suit ya know it's time for a new one!

Last edited:

I get my leathers fixed (and so do several friends of mine who track) at a mennonite harness/saddle maker. Believe me, suits smell nowhere near half as bad as the crap (literally) on that farm on a mild day.

I bought my current suit as I was scared of the backlash from you for repairing the Nexo again.

When you are too embarrassed to go to the guy who fixes your suit ya know it's time for a new one!
No worries there,, been repalming hockey gloves for 30 years and they have everyone beat so far!
The biggest issue is the UV and sweat. Worst thing on any fabric is those two things. People ride more and leathers are made thinner.
As well you can stitch a piece of leather to rotten leather and it looks like it might work. Until you hit the ground and the new leather patch disappears.
Anybody can patch stuff,, not many will say "No" to your money. I can attest at 220 KPH sliding down the pavement is not the time to think about the $10 you saved on that repair job!

I did not know leather rots...

The tanning process just delays the inevitable. As well, "you" can delay that decaying process by how you look after it. Now it can dry out and have dry rot,, or it can be so damp and wet it can just rot that way. I have actually taken leathers that people have brought me to repair and pulled the leather on the inside zipper flap apart like wet cardboard.
So leather does not last for ever and again,, UV rays and sweat all have a factor in how long it lasts.

The tanning process just delays the inevitable. As well, "you" can delay that decaying process by how you look after it. Now it can dry out and have dry rot,, or it can be so damp and wet it can just rot that way. I have actually taken leathers that people have brought me to repair and pulled the leather on the inside zipper flap apart like wet cardboard.
So leather does not last for ever and again,, UV rays and sweat all have a factor in how long it lasts.
Thanks good to know..

There is some excellent advice in this thread from Bickle Racing. Thank you for posting so we can learn.

If you would like two more (unmentioned) brands to look at: Held and Furygan.

There are many brands that are popular Europe that we don't see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the WSS, WSBK, moto3/2/GP races and you'll see many suits that aren't even available in. North America.

Why do I never hear about Kushitani anymore?

not imported here anymore? Like TaiChi, is there a CDN distributor anymore?

09f773d09bff4441aeacd0adeaf0bd38.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe someone here can explain the way the suit should fit. I personally like mine on the tighter side. Not enough to pull down on the shoulders and cause pain when standing. But when on the bike it loosens up, and again not enough it causes too much drag by flapping in the wind.
That's my personal opinion. I lack the science of it, so maybe someone could chime in and help some of the new shoppers on here

Mine is snug/tight with my back protector in. I can't raise my arms over my head all the way...at least not if I don't want pain. All other movement is fine.

It should fit like a second skin but not restricting while ON the bike. I have a hell of a time getting my suit on/off even with under gear.

well , one you should be able to breath comfortable.
You should be able to squat and sit on your heals. Now if you can't do that with leathers off then you should be able to get the same mobilty you can in street cloths.
Now you are not going on 20 K run with the suit so don't get hung up on weight.
You want it as tight as possible but remember the breathing part. Tightness is not so much for wind an flapping as it is for sliding. If it is loose and has bunches/wrinkles,, those are what bunch up and help you get road rash under the leather. YES,, you can get road rash and not have exposed skin. So mobility is important and snug fit. The heavier/thicker the suit the less mobility you will have. Usually, more money equates to a better fit and better protection. Better fit means you have more mobility as well.
And all this is with armour. You can not have enough armour. So make it part of the purchase,, and thought process for buying a suit. Cheap isn't allways the bad way,, fit is most important. Then add your armour.
A fashion statement looses some of it's impact from a hospital bed.

well , one you should be able to breath comfortable.
You should be able to squat and sit on your heals. Now if you can't do that with leathers off then you should be able to get the same mobilty you can in street cloths.
Now you are not going on 20 K run with the suit so don't get hung up on weight.
You want it as tight as possible but remember the breathing part. Tightness is not so much for wind an flapping as it is for sliding. If it is loose and has bunches/wrinkles,, those are what bunch up and help you get road rash under the leather. YES,, you can get road rash and not have exposed skin. So mobility is important and snug fit. The heavier/thicker the suit the less mobility you will have. Usually, more money equates to a better fit and better protection. Better fit means you have more mobility as well.
And all this is with armour. You can not have enough armour. So make it part of the purchase,, and thought process for buying a suit. Cheap isn't allways the bad way,, fit is most important. Then add your armour.
A fashion statement looses some of it's impact from a hospital bed.

Great advice. Don't think armour can be stressed enough. People think the leather is all you need. Proper armour, fitment and placement is everything in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom