CBC Sex-Ed Curriculum Debate | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Sex-Ed Curriculum Debate

Hit the nail on the head.

Ultimately, the curriculum, whatever it is, is going to be butchered by unqualified and unwilling teachers. There will be those teachers who are vehemently against this curriculum, and will take every opportunity to teach to their own, personal standard.

Best materials in the world cannot compensate for broken tools.

Doesn't the inconsistent nature of teachers itself prepare the student for the vagarities of life? Students need to learn, above all else, winning strategies of self actualization. That won't happen by sterile rote.

∆∆good ol wagon jumper here,you thrash the police every chance u get but your all over this guy cuz u think hes a homophobe(prejudice all the same) what a joke,,,

Well I never called him one but a number of statements are common canards of that type of course some people are honestly just ignorant of the the actually history and greater social environment that is involved in the whole Gay and trans rights issues but you also have to want to be educated.

Last edited:
∆∆good ol wagon jumper here,you thrash the police every chance u get but your all over this guy cuz u think hes a homophobe(prejudice all the same) what a joke,,,
Found the other homophobe

I dont think its prejudice, I think its just social justice warriors trying to shame someone for having a different opinion and not thinking the way they do. If the guy doesnt want his 10yr old learning about homosexuality hes somehow a bigot/racist/homophobe/sexist/intollerant criminal that should be jaild and have his kids taken away from him and adopted by gay parents to teach him a lesson...

Personally I would rather be the one to teach the birds and the bees and contraception etc etc to my kids then some random teacher that goes on strike every 2 yrs and doesnt give a sht about actually teaching.

I dont think its prejudice, I think its just social justice warriors trying to shame someone for having a different opinion and not thinking the way they do. If the guy doesnt want his 10yr old learning about homosexuality hes somehow a bigot/racist/homophobe/sexist/intollerant criminal that should be jaild and have his kids taken away from him and adopted by gay parents to teach him a lesson.

Anyone who doesn't want their child to recognize other citizens as having the right to exist deserves to be shamed.

I dont think its prejudice, I think its just social justice warriors trying to shame someone for having a different opinion and not thinking the way they do. If the guy doesnt want his 10yr old learning about homosexuality hes somehow a bigot/racist/homophobe/sexist/intollerant criminal that should be jaild and have his kids taken away from him and adopted by gay parents to teach him a lesson...

Argumentum ad hominem to a straw man nice

Anyone who doesn't want their child to recognize other citizens as having the right to exist deserves to be shamed.

While i'm pointing out fallacies this is also a straw man. Neither DownUnder Senor or CBC has said this we should deal with the claims made not what we assume their opinions are.

I do kind of think that gay and transgendered people have the most to benefit from these reforms. Kids fear and attack what they don't understand. I've experienced bullying simply for being an immigrant in Canada and not speaking English at age 10. I don't have any stats in front of me but I would imagine most gay kids experience some sort of bullying, being left out socially, etc. throughout the academic career, simply because kids don't understand what "being gay" or transgendered really means. The curriculum doesn't have to teach that being gay is right or wrong. Simply teaching kids that groups of people like this exist and it's not just "one kid being weird" is a step in the right direction IMHO. Don't worry, this doesn't mean that gay people are going to walk into your house and disrespect your butthole.

I do kind of think that gay and transgendered people have the most to benefit from these reforms. Kids fear and attack what they don't understand. I've experienced bullying simply for being an immigrant in Canada and not speaking English at age 10. I don't have any stats in front of me but I would imagine most gay kids experience some sort of bullying, being left out socially, etc. throughout the academic career, simply because kids don't understand what "being gay" or transgendered really means. The curriculum doesn't have to teach that being gay is right or wrong. Simply teaching kids that groups of people like this exist and it's not just "one kid being weird" is a step in the right direction IMHO. Don't worry, this doesn't mean that gay people are going to walk into your house and disrespect your butthole.

Well said

I don't believe in giraffes. I don't think our school system should teach our kids that giraffes exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tall order.

The Funny part is that there IS a ton of other stuff being taught in schools as "facts" that's often completely disproved years later. Two hundred years ago kids were taught that the earth was flat even though there was no proof of this. It was just an assumed "fact" based on some flawed theories and observations. Now a days, if you take a psychology class you are taught that depression is caused by low serotonin in the brain and schizophrenia is caused by high dopamine in the brain. If you actually do some research yourself you will learn that there is absolutely zero proof of this and in fact, those statements are probably completely false. Also, History is taught by the Victor. I wonder how much of what you learn in history class is BS and the "triumphant hero" was actually the oppressing tyrant.

Now I don't have kids so really, my opinion on this means nothing but I think teaching your kids to question everything they are taught is probably one of the best things you can do. School for the most part doesn't teach kids to think for themselves. It simply teaches them sets of rules and how to be a good citizen and follow them to a tee. No one ever became great following the rules 100% of the time.

The Funny part is that there IS a ton of other stuff being taught in schools as "facts" that's often completely disproved years later. Two hundred years ago kids were taught that the earth was flat even though there was no proof of this. It was just an assumed "fact" based on some flawed theories and observations. Now a days, if you take a psychology class you are taught that depression is caused by low serotonin in the brain and schizophrenia is caused by high dopamine in the brain. If you actually do some research yourself you will learn that there is absolutely zero proof of this and in fact, those statements are probably completely false. Also, History is taught by the Victor. I wonder how much of what you learn in history class is BS and the "triumphant hero" was actually the oppressing tyrant.

Now I don't have kids so really, my opinion on this means nothing but I think teaching your kids to question everything they are taught is probably one of the best things you can do. School for the most part doesn't teach kids to think for themselves. It simply teaches them sets of rules and how to be a good citizen and follow them to a tee. No one ever became great following the rules 100% of the time.

This is a common flaw in criticism of science.

Science doesn't tell us facts about the world around us. Science helps us understand the world around us based on our current knowledge. Science is dynamic, not static.

The earth was believed to be flat because we didn't have the tools or knowledge to understand otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a common flaw in criticism of science.

Science doesn't tell us facts about the world around us. Science helps us understand the world around us based on our current knowledge. Science is dynamic, not static.

Exactly science and History(although to a lesser extent) are both self correcting mechanisms. And also the greeks knew the earth was round was before thats the affect of the dark ages when you loose all that classical knowledge and we had to start over. It takes time and rigorous peer review to change established science its a slow process but its the best process we have to gaining new knowledge.

I would also caution you when you go "research yourself". If you are trying to find an answer to a scientific question google university is not the way to do it you need to use peer medical journals not some blogger.

But you are correct teaching kids scepticism and critical thinking tool sets is the best way forward.

Last edited:
Doesn't the inconsistent nature of teachers itself prepare the student for the vagarities of life? Students need to learn, above all else, winning strategies of self actualization. That won't happen by sterile rote.

You cannot observe inconsistencies without first having a measure to compare with. Young minds are only developing that baseline, and to start skewed could be a great disadvantage. An inconsistent authority figure will also cause young minds to question authority - which actually may not be a terrible thing, on its own.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of unreliable with respect to the teachers. Differing teaching styles do allow kids the opportunity to discover how they best learn, but the proper content still needs to be there.

I did not know the term homophobe had anything to do with not believing a group of should exist ,so I will edit my post and please excuse my ignorance,anyone that knows me knows I am certainly not that kind of person...I didn't watch the vid(because of ****** internet connection) nor did I read the whole thread so I may have missed a few things,my apologies

Back
Top Bottom