Side stand and rad guard | GTAMotorcycle.com

Side stand and rad guard

Xrayhonda

I've seen a couple youtube clips with people with side stands on their track bikes. Does anyone here have one on their track bike? Whats the pro/con with a side stand on a track bike? Is it allowed at all tracks? Also is a rad guard worth it for a newbie at the track? How much does it affect air flow to the rad?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Most race clubs require side stand removal. Track day riders are more likely to leave them on as they can be a pain to re-install. Rad guard won't protect your rad in a crash and so why spend the $$ on one. It might make sense if your track has gravel traps in run off areas but most Ontario tracks have dirt/grass/walls :-(
parillaguy

I've seen a couple youtube clips with people with side stands on their track bikes.
Some track day providers make you zip tie them up for safety. You can just break the zip ties by kicking down on the kickstand when you pull into the pits so you can still use it when you park the bike. Automatic wheel chocks allow you to just ride in and back out of them and they will hold the bike up without using the rear stand, kick stand, etc. They have em at Royal Distributing, I think it was $89 on sale.

1008817_701826689834459_1483534893_o.jpg

Sorry but a rad guard is an excellent investment on our race tracks.

You will often find small stones or pebbles on the track, when a bike in front of you kicks one up it could easily hit and puncture your rad. Every track bike I've owned has had a rad guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, I have one on my rad and one on my oil rad. Small investment that can potentially save you $$
Sorry but a rad guard is an excellent investment on our race tracks.

You will often find small stones or pebbles on the track, when a bike in front of you kicks one up it could easily hit and puncture your rad. Every track bike I've owned has had a rad guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most track days I've attended allowed side stands, some require it to be tied up.
One of the concerns I been told at tech is that hitting a bump will cause the side stand to move enough that it'll momentarily kill the engine. Possible I suppose, some of our tracks are very bumpy.

I bypassed my side stand switch to take it out of the ignition circuit, then rewired the switch to a custom circuit. Now, if the side stand is down and the ignition is on, the left signal flashes on the dash.

Just make your own rad guard out of mesh from home depot. I've made 6 so far out of $17 of material and still have a bunch left.

Just make your own rad guard out of mesh from home depot. I've made 6 so far out of $17 of material and still have a bunch left.
Pics?

Having a kickstand makes life so much easier at home and at the track.

I've ridden very bumpy roads and never had the bike temporarily cut off due to the kickstand.
Doubt that will be an issue at any of our local tracks. Even Shannonville.

Rad guards are inexpensive and a great investment IMO. Every bike I've owned had one.

Safety measures are not for the things that happen often but also the things that 'never happen' ... Just something to think about.

I didn't initiate the rule but from experience turn 2 pro track is very hard to make with your side stand down.

A friend of mine sells these side stands to be used at the track

10369602_10152036533736191_6403775760018493227_n.jpg

1508635_10151728851441191_1017063279_n.jpg

10372894_708997952474737_2537125205531429315_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom