Gear Indicator - Will This Work? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear Indicator - Will This Work?

Bradsma

I have been contemplating getting a gear indicator for my 2008 Kawi Z1000. After a little searching I found a few plug and play very easy to install options, but at 150+ US I cant justify it just to prevent the 7th gear shift or the odd miss shift into first.

I did come across this option on ebay but wasn't sure if it would work so I figured I'd leave it to the capable minds here to help me out.

www.ebay.ca/itm/FOR-Kawasaki-ZR1000-Z1000-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-Gear-Indicator-/201104130231?hash=item2ed2bd80b7&vxp=mtr

My question is in the description it states "The gear indicator is suitable for use on the majority of motorcycles equipped with an electronic speedometer and rev counter"

My Z has an electronic speedo, but has a sweeping dial (analog?) tachometer. Is my tach still electronic to a point and a signal is then sent to the needle to start it moving on the tach to match the motors revs? Will this indicator work? Or is it for a fully electronic speedo and tachomter?

Any help you guys can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would expect that your tach is electronic. Usually it's the speedo that might not be, as it can be a cable running to the front wheel. Do you have a wiring diagram?

I bought the exact same one but under another title for my R6. My problem was that there aren't different speed and tach wires going to the gauge cluster. It seems the data is run through a single wire with a more complex protocol.

Theoretically you might be able to even wire it to your spark plugs or crankshaft position sensor for an engine speed signal. As you can imagine support for cheap Chinese stuff on Ebay is non-existant, so you'll be on your own if you go that route.

I will try and find a wiring diagram and see where that leads me. I wasn't going to rely on ebay tech support from the seller so the hunt continues for info. Any one else have a say on this?

08 z1 the tach and speedo are electronic. Nothing other than wires going to gauges.

SNAFU nice to see another Z rider. Based on what you've stated would you venture to guess that the indicator in the link would work then?

Last edited:
Looks like it would work. To be sure as other have said, verify with wiring diagrams in the manual for the
speed and tach wires. The manual is available online for download.

I have seen a video on youtube with the same indicator installed on this bike.

Mark on this forum has an intense electrical background. If I was you I'd try to find him

Since it's not immediately obvious to anyone who is not familiar with motorcycles pre-1990:

"Electronic" speedos and tachs refer not to whether or not the information is presented digitally or on a clock face, but how they are connected to the wheels and motor. Mechanical speedometers might not be completely dead yet, but are reasonably rare: instead of taking a signal from a sensor on the wheel or output shaft on the transmission, they are usually attached to a spinning, sheathed cable driven by a gear on the front wheel. Mechanical tachs (have not been around for a while, though GS500s still had them up to 2004) operated on a similar principle - attached to a spinning sheathed cable driven by a gear on a camshaft.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to pop into the local Kawi dealer tomorrow and see if they'll supply me with a print out of a wiring diagram forthe "dash" on my bike. Based on that I'll see if I should order. I'll keep this updated if I order and install and how the product works for others if they are interested.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to pop into the local Kawi dealer tomorrow and see if they'll supply me with a print out of a wiring diagram forthe "dash" on my bike. Based on that I'll see if I should order. I'll keep this updated if I order and install and how the product works for others if they are interested.
Why go through all that, the thing is cheap already. If you can't get it wired, it's not a total loss. It's cheap already

I understand its 20 bucks and I'm pretty much going to order it either way. But if they'll print a wiring diagram for me why wouldn't I take it. Makes my life that much easier when it comes to hooking it up. Also, the kawi dealer here is very friendly and helpful and its not out of the way to pop in and ask for a diagram.

Back
Top Bottom