Paid work | GTAMotorcycle.com

Paid work

kcalB

Hey guys, as some have seen I need to replace the 2nd and 6th gear

If any one has time, and the know how to tear down and rebuild a YZF600R motor, I'll gladly pay you for your time. The bike still runs so I can bring it to you. Added bonus if you have the chain tool. My chain is shot, and needs to be replaced.

Last ditch effort to either avoid paying 2 k garage price (although taht includes the parts) and avoid having to buy a new bike. As I think the only real issue with mine is the 2nd gear.

If your interested, let me know, and we can sort out a price.

My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

Last ditch effort to either avoid paying 2 k garage price
If you're going to pay 2k for something try and find a friend that has access to the police auction. Watch for a Canadian R6 from 2006 and up without keys. They sell cheap due to it normally costing $2800 to replace the keys. My friend bought an 06 R6 with 8300km's for $2200 and I was able to get him a new complete set of keys cut for $80. Just something to consider as a cheap but nice replacement.

Frekeguy ... Both me and my friend go to him for our bikes

$2000 ????? wtf??? I have done complete rebuilds , rings, new bore (steel),clutch, and tranny parts (2nd-6th) gaskets ect for under $1000. does it cost a $1000 to drop and install an engine? ask who ever how much if you bring the engine.

The parts alone for the dreaded 2nd gear issue for a YZF 600 is about $400. This is all caused by Yamaha re-using the basic engine and trans architecture from the FZR400, to the FZR600, to the YZF600. While that trans was okay at 50 hp, it is overstressed at 85 + hp, and rough shifts tend to affect this bike more and sooner than most others. I raced mine with no 2nd gear and decided not to fix it because a cost vs. value was established and it simply wasn't worth it on a 1994 racebike. Far cheaper to do a whole motor swap. That bike has been handed down to my son, and is undergoing a motor swap this weekend in fact.

Here is a detailed how to :
http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31974

TJ (carboncat) has done the exact job you are trying to do. If you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too hard if you are neat and careful in disassembly. Barring that, you can probably expect ot pay a mechanic for 8 hrs plus parts.

Last edited:
$2000 ????? wtf??? I have done complete rebuilds , rings, new bore (steel),clutch, and tranny parts (2nd-6th) gaskets ect for under $1000. does it cost a $1000 to drop and install an engine? ask who ever how much if you bring the engine.

That's the parts cost with you doing the labour yourself. The problem is having to pay someone the going labour rate to do it.

I'm familiar with what's needed in this job but the original poster won't like my hourly rate (and I don't do this sort of work for others).

8 hours might be about right for just the disassembly and re-assembly, but carefully cleaning and inspecting and measuring everything will roughly double that. And it doesn't include remove and install the engine from the bike, which for a street bike (more crap to deal with than a race bike) will be another few hours.

Last edited:
If you're going to pay 2k for something try and find a friend that has access to the police auction. Watch for a Canadian R6 from 2006 and up without keys. They sell cheap due to it normally costing $2800 to replace the keys. My friend bought an 06 R6 with 8300km's for $2200 and I was able to get him a new complete set of keys cut for $80. Just something to consider as a cheap but nice replacement.

My issue with this is the thindercat is a "spot tourer" while the R6 is considered a Super Sport. Since I got my G1 when i got my M2, then waited four years to get my g2 (I had a bike not a car, i figured why would i waste time and money to get a G) insurance will be between 5-7k. As it is I pay 26 hundred and change for the season with the TC. Will be getting my G this summer, then will b looking into statefarm, as apprently they have decent rates?

The first trans I ever rebuilt was from my 01 R6, local shops quoted me $2000 and up to fix it with me bringing in the whole bike. I didnt have money back then so I did it myself, the parts alone with new oil and gaskets cost me roughly $500-600

Shops generally charge $80-100 an hour for labor like this, and it takes many hours just to remove the bodywork then then engine to do the work and then again to put the engine and bodywork all back onto the bike and getting it running again...Do the math 10+ hours or so total time x $80-100 an hours ends up being $2000+ with parts easily

Ive rebuilt many since then for people and I usually charge around $500 labor, but I am not a shop I dont charge anywhere near $80-100 an hour. I just did one for another member on here last season on 05 ZX6R....He was lucky because I had used parts to sell him, his was bad he needed a shift drum and that part alone would have added $200+ to his cost....

Thats another thing you have to consider 9 out of 10 times the drum is ok, but you dont know until you take the engine apart to inspect it...So you cant really estimate parts accuralty until you actually get the trans apart to inspect and see how much was damaged. The longer the person rides the bike with the trans issue and lets it pop out of gear, the more damage that it can do and cost more

Last edited:
Good to know. I am still riding, but there is no gear popping any more as I give it pretty much no gas in second gear. Yeah i figured there could be more damage then expected. I've had **** luck with bikes..... Dam

I have a motor out of a 96 thunder cat. I believe the odometer said 35000 km on it when I took the motor out of the bike. It ran when I took the motor out. If you are interested pm me.

I have a motor out of a 96 thunder cat. I believe the odometer said 35000 km on it when I took the motor out of the bike. It ran when I took the motor out. If you are interested pm me.

if that motor will fit that yzf6 - that would be the best $$ option

Last edited:
I believe that the yzf600r went unchanged from 96-04. But I could be completely wrong, been known to happen.

In 96 we got 2 versions. The old YZF600R with the twin "foxeye" headlights from 95 and the new Thundercat(European name). The US got it the year later and it's been pretty much unchanged till 07 end of production. Though the last few years had the Cali smog parts as standard.

Freakyguy is really busy,

So I'm thinking i'll pull out the motor myself. Now i gotta find some one that can do the work. If any one wants to work on the engine i'll pay ya!

Freakyguy is really busy,

So I'm thinking i'll pull out the motor myself. Now i gotta find some one that can do the work. If any one wants to work on the engine i'll pay ya!

sorry, I was playing fetch with my dog.

If you pull the motor out , who ever is going to put the motor back in will take longer. It is better to have the same person who drops the motor put it back in. Process will go much smoother with fewer headaches.

Back
Top Bottom