People in Whitby don't know how to drive! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

People in Whitby don't know how to drive!

I used to live in Toronto, right now I'm boarder line Ajax/Whitby. I usually find more problems out east in whitby. My first accident on my bike with another car was in whitby last year, it was a hit and run. Lady ran off in Whitby Shores.

In general, cars are our enemies when we are on bikes, everywhere.

I've been commuting from Durham to downtown or Mississauga for the last 12 years. My experience is the complete opposite of yours.

ZX600......good luck! Lol

Actually come to think about it there was an obviously new rider the other day riding north on Brock St. It took him atleast 5s to get the bike moving and then proceeded to drive 10km/h under the limit. If this guy couldn't figure out why people were aggressively passing and cutting him off then he needs more than riding lessons. He was on an F4i if I remember correctly trying to follow his buddy.

Last edited:
Go back and re read my post specifically the portion where I stated for the purposes of THAT section given that there are specific requirements spelled out in the HTA for:

1. Motor vehicles;
2. Motorcycles;
3. Trailers; and lastly
4. Trucks

Therefore, one can not "assign" the regs for a motor vehicle to a motorcycle or a truck, (for example there are requirements for marker lamps on trucks that one couldn't assign to motor vehicles nor motorcycles, and vice versa).

But if you feel that a pulse lamp on a motorcycle is prohibited then here is the best advice anyone can get. DON'T install it on your bike. Issue, (for you) solved. For those that wish to use this as a safety feature. I guess they will do it. Until a conviction has been registered and upheld, there is nothing in the HTA, (pertaining to motorcycles), that I have ever been able to locate which prohibits it.

In answer, to your question about Section 128. (1) applying to a motorcycle, yes it does, ONLY because there is not a portion of Section 128. (1) which deals specifically with the various classes/types of vehicles as Part IV Section 62 does. The equipment section (Part IV), has it's own set of regs as the equipment for each class/type of vehicle varies depending upon the regs. Section 128.(1) doesn't because a car, pickup, motorcycle, bus, truck etc ALL are covered because the speed is EXACTLY the same regardless of the class/type of vehicle IE 140 km/h is the same in ALL of them.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Not that I wish to perpetuate what seems to be an argument... but why does it say "No Person" .. How is a Motorcycle not a Motor Vehicle?? Regardless of that fact, section 14 does not use the phrase "Motor vehicle" nor does it refer to one. It says a person.

Obviously it is up to the police officer's on interpretation, as well as their (hopeful) application of common sense, and as this is a safety feature I have a hard time imagining a cop would bust someone on this... But I am still going to fight my side of this, simply by asking if the word "Motorcycle" isn't used in the specific paragraph someone is reading, ANYWHERE in the HTA, are you to assume that it does not apply to you?? Take this quote as an example... does this mean that Motorcycles do not get scrutinized against for speeding?? Not trying to fight, seriously trying to get an understanding of this crap.

Rate of speed

128. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a rate of speed greater than,
(a) 50 kilometres per hour on a highway within a local municipality or within a built-up area;
(b) despite clause (a), 80 kilometres per hour on a highway, not within a built-up area, that is within a local municipality that had the status of a township on December 31, 2002 and, but for the enactment of the Municipal Act, 2001, would have had the status of a township on January 1, 2003, if the municipality is prescribed by regulation;

I've been commuting from Durham to downtown or Mississauga for the last 12 years. My experience is the complete opposite of yours.

Everyone is going to come across a driver or rider that is inept from time to time, and all drivers and riders will themselves do something inept at times. That's just the nature of the beast that is called human fallibility.

But if you (referring to people in general) are constantly finding yourself in bad situations with other traffic, you might want to look good and hard at your own driving and riding habits. Either you are driving/riding so aggressively that you are showing up and doing things that other traffic does not expect and is not able to quickly adjust to, or your defensive driving/riding skills are grossly deficient.

Slamming on the brakes at 120km/h and stopping 30-40ft short of the car infront of you doesn't make me a bad driver, it makes me angry and aggressive so I pass that idiot. Also when I leave 2 car lengths while driving an 8,000lb truck it's because I need that room to stop (I actually need a bit more but if I leave a bigger gap I get cut off twice as much) and people don't understand that. If I was driving slower than the vehicle infront then by all means go ahead however both of these scenarios are a very frequent occurance as soon as I get into scarbrough, so frequent that it's several times per trip per day. I'm not saying everyone in Whitby can drive (far from it) but it's nowhere near as bad as the OP seems to think.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of ONTERRIBLE sucks for drivers

As a Scarberian I find that drivers in Whitby/Oshawa have a much higher skill level than Scarborough. I would even suggest that drivers in Whitby have some courtesy to riders. While in Whitby they might make a mistake, here in Scarborough drivers really believe they don't need to follow rules of the road. I originally wrote something that could be construed as racist against bad Chinese drivers, but I have restrained myself. Do Scarborough drivers really know the rules, much less follow them? The widespread use of cellphones in cars is still very troubling and needs stricter enforcement. Without enforcement, even the proposed increased penalties of max of 6 demerit point fine, $2k penalty, 6mo jail and 2 yr license suspension will be no deterrent. The general public is still not onboard with the cell phone ban, so we must be very vigilant.

We are very early in the riding season. Drivers have not gotten used to bikes on the road yet. Eventually they will, and shortly after it will be winter. Their lack of attention to bikes occurs yearly in the spring. This is so predicable that the police put out a public service announcement style news article on TV. You cannot control the behaviour of other drivers, so it is best for us to be even more alert than usual.

And I agree, if you are meeting lots of bad drivers, you might want to look at your riding style. You might be catching people by surprise, being in a certain place at a certain time when they are not expecting you. You may be legally in the right, but what's the point if they cause you to crash and burn?

The OP has no clue what he's talking about. Whitby is one of the best populated areas to drive in the GTA. The actual reason? People from Canada, who didn't come from some crap over populated country, hence the sh*t driving and insurance rates in Bramptanistan. They speak English at Tim Hortons here in Whitby. Good luck finding someone else who speaks Engriwsh.... wait... English at a Tims elsewhere in the GTA.

The OP has no clue what he's talking about. Whitby is one of the best populated areas to drive in the GTA. The actual reason? People from Canada, who didn't come from some crap over populated country, hence the sh*t driving and insurance rates in Bramptanistan. They speak English at Tim Hortons here in Whitby. Good luck finding someone else who speaks Engriwsh.... wait... English at a Tims elsewhere in the GTA.

yeah ok, so now I gotta deal with the doosh bags in their F150s with "nuts on the hitch" and Saturn SL2s driven by fat women in grey sweat pants.

"people from Canada" gee mate, you really need to show some class.

Each area in the GTA has their fair share of bad drivers.

yeah ok, so now I gotta deal with the doosh bags in their F150s with "nuts on the hitch" and Saturn SL2s driven by fat women in grey sweat pants.

"people from Canada" gee mate, you really need to show some class.

Each area in the GTA has their fair share of bad drivers.

Whitby or WHITEBY is not so white anymore.... I think it probably has the highest rate of mixed couple's per capita....

all the whitey women stated to import dark meat and a lot of the white guys import dark holes.

Pictures didn't turn out well enough but saw a senior citizen couple (65+ for sure but not 80s) in a convertible Sebring parking in the Expectant Mothers parking space at the Walmart at King/Townline.
Figured they were from Toronto though. I find just the fat chicks in SUVs and guys in F150s that are obviously not using the truck for work (hence the scrotum on the hitch) are the worst drivers in Durham but nothing compared to closer to GTA. ******** know what they are doing, people in Scarborough or Brampton likely have no clue. People are moving in because it's the cheapest area in the GTA for a house so it's not going to get any better.

another one in the east end: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...Brock-Rd-off-ramp-401WB&p=2298152#post2298152

Generally, I move faster than the flow of traffic (not fast enough to get a 172) so don't worry about what's behind me (unless I'm coming to a stop, RTI taught me to check my behind lol). If I see someone on the cell phone (most obvious indicator is inability to stay in their lane), I will shift down into 1st or 2nd (city vs highway) and pass them as close as safely possible while staying in my lane.

Results I have gotten from this:

They slow down , freak out, and get off the phone (YAY!)
We stop at the red lights where they give me a rude look and I get to yell get the **** off your phone
They blow by me giving me the finger while I do a happy dance because I scared the **** out of them

Either way, they can't say they didn't see you!

EDIT: As an immigrant from Taiwan, I'd happily read your racist comments regarding Chinese drivers. I wish I could ***** slap every "C-lai" I see that pulls the driver seat all the way to the front and has a driving posture similar to the hunchback of notre dame.

Last edited:
i live out in brooklin and work in toronto so i drive through durham region everyday. i find that the reason why durham region drivers are terrible is that it is not as populated as toronto. and so the drivers tend to put there guard down when driving through, i tend to always have my thumb on my horn when a car is near me, just in case.

油井緋色;2299314 said:
Generally, I move faster than the flow of traffic (not fast enough to get a 172) so don't worry about what's behind me (unless I'm coming to a stop, RTI taught me to check my behind lol). If I see someone on the cell phone (most obvious indicator is inability to stay in their lane), I will shift down into 1st or 2nd (city vs highway) and pass them as close as safely possible while staying in my lane.

Results I have gotten from this:

They slow down , freak out, and get off the phone (YAY!)
We stop at the red lights where they give me a rude look and I get to yell get the **** off your phone
They blow by me giving me the finger while I do a happy dance because I scared the **** out of them

Either way, they can't say they didn't see you!

EDIT: As an immigrant from Taiwan, I'd happily read your racist comments regarding Chinese drivers. I wish I could ***** slap every "C-lai" I see that pulls the driver seat all the way to the front and has a driving posture similar to the hunchback of notre dame.

Trying to figure out how riding as close as possible to other people scares them.
Did RTI teach you that?
Are they scared that you're going to kill yourself? I don't get it.

When people pass by really close to me super fast,
I'd like to reach out and tap their brake lever.
It'd slow them down, just a little.
Maybe even keep them alive a few minutes longer.
:p

^
If a driver is attentive, they'll see a bike coming...well, at least I do anyway cause I check my mirrors like a paranoid owl.

If a driver is distracted, they won't. Down shifting into 1st or 2nd brings the bike up to around 9k+ RPM, plus you get that cool mega buster charging sound from blipping. On any SS bike with an aftermarket exhaust installed, you'll make enough noise to scare the **** out of anyone who isn't paying attention...especially if you pass by the driver side.

You do not want to ride next to them, just pass them quickly.

I learned this lesson because a rider did this to me years ago when I was a stupid teenager on the highway on my cell phone while trying to light a cigarette. Thank you to that rider...I now carry on your lesson.

Back
Top Bottom