Buying a used bike - UVIP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a used bike - UVIP

dadur

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions from anyone that has purchased a used bike privately.
A friend of mine is trying to get a bike and every seller he messages asking for UVIP nobody seems to have it.

Would you say that's a "red flag"? It's $20 and shouldn't you be showing that to all potential buyers anyway?

Thanks

I don't bother buying the UVIP until the deal is about to close. Or the buyer can just get it. Actually, I haven't bought one in a few bikes...the buyer did.

usually when the deal is about closed i ask for the VIN and i get the uvip myself. better to spend the $20 now and be sure than spend a few thousand dollars without the uvip and then find out after that there's a lien on it. rather take a chance on losing that $20 for uvip than losing a few thousand dollars on a bike that's crap.

experience: bought 2 used bikes privately.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions from anyone that has purchased a used bike privately.
A friend of mine is trying to get a bike and every seller he messages asking for UVIP nobody seems to have it.

Would you say that's a "red flag"? It's $20 and shouldn't you be showing that to all potential buyers anyway?

Thanks

A UVIP is required for private sales of vehicles in Ontario, so no it's not a red flag. You or the seller have to get it before selling. But why spend the $20 until you actually have a bite.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Most people will not get a UVIP until they have a serious offer... Which makes sense because people also want an up-to-date UVIP :)

If after showing the seller you are serious, and they refuse to get a UVIP......... now that's a different story.

Not necessarily a "red flag", I normally buy the UVIP on a vehicle I am considering, after I have seen the vehicle, but BEFORE, I make the final arrangements. Just to confirm lien status. I just tell the seller I am taking the VIN to get the UVIP. I would rther get the VIN myself that way I know the vin I am buying the UVIP is for the actuall bike I am buying.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Not necessarily a "red flag", I normally buy the UVIP on a vehicle I am considering, after I have seen the vehicle, but BEFORE, I make the final arrangements. Just to confirm lien status. I just tell the seller I am taking the VIN to get the UVIP. I would rther get the VIN myself that way I know the vin I am buying the UVIP is for the actuall bike I am buying.

I did something similar to this on my first bike, which I bought from 4 hours up the road and planned to ride home. Bike was in nearly new condition so I decided to ask the seller for the VIN, which he reluctantly provided to me. Thankfully for both of us, neither of us was a d-bag and it all worked out.

thanks for the replies :)

just seems like if you have to get it since the 3rd page is a bill of sale and contains lien info, why don't sellers just provide it for every potential buyer's piece of mind. Otherwise, say you're interested in 2 or 3 bikes and you're trying to narrow it down so you're going to get 3 uvips? lol

Just seems odd.

No, you work out your deal and ask the seller to provide the UVIP when you finalize ....or get the one yourself for the one you decide on.

Most people will not get a UVIP until they have a serious offer... Which makes sense because people also want an up-to-date UVIP :)

If after showing the seller you are serious, and they refuse to get a UVIP......... now that's a different story.
'zactly

thanks for the replies :)

just seems like if you have to get it since the 3rd page is a bill of sale and contains lien info, why don't sellers just provide it for every potential buyer's piece of mind. Otherwise, say you're interested in 2 or 3 bikes and you're trying to narrow it down so you're going to get 3 uvips? lol

Just seems odd.

UVIP can become outdated depending on how long you have it for. Most people expect to see one that's fairly recent, sometimes you could be trying to sell a motorcycle for a few months. I bought mine privately and asked for a UVIP after we agreed on price and time. I brought the cash and checked the UVIP before making the transfer. That's the way I'd recommend it. No reason to get a UVIP on all motorcycles you're just checking out. On the UVIP the lien portion is the most important part (IMO) the bill of sale stuff is secondary and used only so the MTO has a piece of paper stating how much you paid for said vehicle so they can charge you tax on it. It's required by law but only enforced when you register the vehicle. Frankly the MTO doesn't care if you or the buyers purchasing it just as long as someone does.

Yes. It is required. The MTO DOESN'T CARE who buys it as long as it's paid for.

Show up to transfer the ownership and they will ask you for it. Don't have one? They will charge you for it and print you one.

On a side note...there's not expiration date on the UVIP like on a safety. But when I buy, I want one that's no more than a few weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom