New RSV4 RF/RR | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New RSV4 RF/RR

Plot twist: both pictures are the same tech.

Also, FYI: it appears that these bikes come with a 4 year warranty. If so then I just may hack in my 2013 after all.

Two new reviews came up today:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...sv4-rf-review-first-ride-from-misano-circuit/

If it interests you, check the comments section below the article. I quite agree, today's bikes aren't all about brute horsepower, 200hp+ is too much even for slicks to put to the pavement in all circumstances, so TC isn't just a good idea, it's necessary for most riders and most conditions.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...aprilia-rsv4-rf-2015-first-ride/#.VTI-FMn6jqA

Last edited:
All the video games, ...but no cornering ABS, lean angle TC or auto-blip downshift?

Seems like a lot of focus on electronics, but not yet up to the level of Yamaha or BMW.

I know things are going this way, but it seems like nannies per-programmed for each turn are taking away skills components.

Yamaha /BMW offer auto blip downshifts???

So how many RSV4 versions are there currently? Two or three? My first thought about the GPS chicanery was what if it gets a sloppy fix, but I'll buy John's proposition. What will have a better margin on impressing the sex of your interest, an RSV4 RF or an RSV1000R Factory?

Yamaha /BMW offer auto blip downshifts???

Yup. I'm not entirely sure I would be able to trust it though

There are two versions, with a track option for the RR. Like most motorcycles, it's more likely to impress the male gender regardless of what it looks like, but we all keep telling ourselves otherwise, lol

And Dr. Lux: it's not utterly ridiculous, 200hp+ is definitely the territory of expert/pro riders without some kind of traction control. Go back to 2001 to the original GSX-R 1000 if you want, and take a look at the technology manufacturers have used, by and large, ever since... ways of *blunting* the power output of the 1000cc engines with secondary throttle vanes, spark maps based on gear position and more. Now modern bikes will unleash the motors and let the TC handle it, and without TC... the average rider is putting themselves right in the line of fire. I have such a bike without TC and it is lively on heated slicks, never mind cool Ontario pavement and worn street tires.

Visor Down released an onboard video and a revised review. It's a bad suspension setup, must have been really hard on the rear tire... I can again tell when TC is working just by looking at the tach... TC of 3 is what I use on cold days on the street (mind you, my RSV4 has different ECU with different base throttle maps and different TC than the new one).

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...rsv4-rf-onboard-fast-lap-at-misano/26551.html

Last edited:
Motorcycle put up their review. Not sure how it's possible that they don't know the M50 calipers are the same on the Panigale, RSV4 and Super Duke except for paint... but anyway. Also, I would imagine that dropping the engine in the frame could cause the bike to stand up a bit on the brakes, which is why Torres and Haslam say they prefer the engine at its mid-height setting for the track. But it would likely make the bike easier to ride on the street.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/aprilia/2016-aprilia-rsv4-first-ride-review.html

just a heads up..youre having a conversation with yourself at this point...

Kevin Duke is not very good at his job... anything he publishes that was not a track test is a lightly edited press release. He's probably going off of (erroneous) information he got from an Aprilia rep, though. And how would he even feel a difference? Isn't the main difference between the M430 and the M50 versions is that the M50 is lighter?

just a heads up..youre having a conversation with yourself at this point...

Just a heads-up, you're not good at this new-fangled Internet thing.

Kevin Duke is not very good at his job... anything he publishes that was not a track test is a lightly edited press release. He's probably going off of (erroneous) information he got from an Aprilia rep, though. And how would he even feel a difference? Isn't the main difference between the M430 and the M50 versions is that the M50 is lighter?

I was under the impression that the main difference was the paint colour.

Wish I understood Latin better, here's a demonstration of the GPS assist app:

[video=youtube;JgA6ED3JCng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgA6ED3JCng[/video]

Last edited:
All the video games, ...but no cornering ABS, lean angle TC or auto-blip downshift?

Seems like a lot of focus on electronics, but not yet up to the level of Yamaha or BMW.

I know things are going this way, but it seems like nannies per-programmed for each turn are taking away skills components.
That is what someone that has never pinned full throttle out of a corner in a liter bike would say. Takes skill and even more balls and trust me TC is not a magical thing that will ensure you don't go flying in the air.

That is what someone that has never pinned full throttle out of a corner in a liter bike would say. Takes skill and even more balls and trust me TC is not a magical thing that will ensure you don't go flying in the air.

That's it exactly. One of the owners in the UK just rolled his bike on a dyno yesterday and got........... 197whp.

You don't just pin the throttle on a bike like that with no rider aids. I'm not saying they're totally unridable, just that you will find yourself trying to find ways to use the power and failing, precisely because you can't just grab a handful of throttle and expect good results. It will try to kill you, maybe not this corner, maybe not the next...

Last edited:
That's it exactly. One of the owners in the UK just rolled his bike on a dyno yesterday and got........... 197whp.

I love the RSV4 but I think we can both agree that is one generous dyno.

I love the RSV4 but I think we can both agree that is one generous dyno.

It's a whole new bike. I think we can agree that it's UK horsepower numbers, though. The S1000RR apparently put down 196whp in the UK.

We're all asking him to post up his dyno chart but if he doesn't I'm certain that others will follow soon.

You need to be very experienced to ride a bike like this without electronics, and why wouldn't one want the option? You can always turn it off. These new bikes make significantly more power than the liters from a decade ago and most guys could barely handle those

This is the third dyno (and second graph) I've seen that show the new RSV4 over 190whp.

zvdHyFo.jpg

This one was from a shop that did air filter, exhaust and full remap of a guy's 2012 ZX10R. He threw his RSV4 RR with 100 miles on it on the dyno for fun. The RSV4 put out more power than his ZX10R with no modifications whatsoever. Optimistic dyno? Doesn't look that way.

Nice! Is there any warranty support for these bikes in Ontario? I've read testimonials of guys having to sit out the entire summer while a part from Italy is "on the way." And unlike the Japanese bikes, these bikes break!

Last edited:
Nice! Is there any warranty support for these bikes in Ontario? I've read testimonials of guys having to sit out the entire summer while a part from Italy is "on the way." And unlike the Japanese bikes, these bikes break!

I have a GSX-R 1000 engine with a cracked block (right across the mains) sitting on my garage floor, and a close to it, a Tuono that has been with me for 8 seasons with no major issues (two slightly tight valves at maintenance interval, not unusual). I've watched three friend's R1s self-destruct (street riding!) and a pile of S1000RRs die painfully at the track. Generalisations are to be avoided, I think. :)

Anyway, I haven't had to wait more than two weeks for any part so far. Parts have been reasonable, even cheap compared to Honda. Your milage may vary. Aprilia claims to have sorted out its parts sourcing issues in general, and it hasn't been a problem for me - some have waited for parts like frames, though.

FWIW, apparently the new Aprilias have four-year warranties. I haven't confirmed this in Canada, but with all the talk of the handling and engine improvements I am going to find out more... I may upgrade even though I really like my current bike. *sigh*

Last edited:
I have a GSX-R 1000 engine with a cracked block (right across the mains) sitting on my garage floor, and a close to it, a Tuono that has been with me for 8 seasons with no major issues (two slightly tight valves at maintenance interval, not unusual). I've watched three friend's R1s self-destruct (street riding!) and a pile of S1000RRs die painfully at the track. Generalisations are to be avoided, I think. :)

Anyway, I haven't had to wait more than two weeks for any part so far. Parts have been reasonable, even cheap compared to Honda. Your milage may vary. Aprilia claims to have sorted out its parts sourcing issues in general, and it hasn't been a problem for me - some have waited for parts like frames, though.

FWIW, apparently the new Aprilias have four-year warranties. I haven't confirmed this in Canada, but with all the talk of the handling and engine improvements I am going to find out more... I may upgrade even though I really like my current bike. *sigh*
Who and where in Ontario is selling Aprilia that offers knowledgeable warranty/service of Italian bikes? That means selling them with mechanics in the back with Italian motorcycle service experience. I've read so many Aprilia horror stories.

Back
Top Bottom