Critters on the road..pics or stories | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Critters on the road..pics or stories

Mostly Deer, Rabbits, Porcupines, Chipmunks, Canada Geese and Turkeys up here.

No Raccoons that I've ever seen, rumour has it that the Bears eat them.

The heavy Deer population tends to keep the Moose in check.

One thing I'd hate to hit would be a Loon.

Lately I'v been seeing alot of deer, I like to drive the backroads around this area... and yeah... It's starting to worry me abit cause I keep seeing them so often, would be a really bad day if one ran out infront of me before I could brake.

Doesn't help that I only have front brake ATM. I'v seen deer at the road/crossing the road about 5 times in the last 3 days of riding quick jaunts around the area. Its more scarey at night... to be fair if I'm going the speed limit I probably have time to slow down, but I like opening her up(my bike, not an unfortunate deer)... for short bursts anyways....

So yeah, gotta take it easy, what I don't like about deer is they seem to be an animal that just throws caution to the wind and will dart across the road even if something is coming making alot of noise/lot of light, they panick and just go for it rather then turn around when they hear it coming immediately just go in the opposite direction... although maby they do this sometimes I guess I don't understand their behavior that well.

No pics today but a GoPro would have been a good thing. - crossed the border into Quebec and they were out in force.

a flock of young wild turkeys got all confused and I had to navigate through them - made me smile.

Then the otter......a WHAT???!!! crossing the road started across, saw me coming and ducked back into the bullrushes

Then the deer....okay sort of normal but was midday - very solid looking doe or a buck without horns.. ....bit scary.

Then some very cute Ptarmigan chicks scurrying about.....looked like little Furbies

Then cruising along noticed large dark bird sort of in the bushes and then the other big dark bird that was beside it rocketed it off right in my face.....
I faceplanted into the tank bag and prepared for impact......how it missed I don't know.

15-20 lb bird in flight versus my helmet at 60 kph.....might have been very messy - must have been one heroic wing beat and maybe some uplift from the windscreen got it over me.....I totally totally expected it to hit me.

Couple of weekends ago was out early passed a deer stood at side of road when riding river road. Short time later had family of deer cross in front of me while riding though Dunedin.

I saw a bear cub on the 518 last year. I was not sure what to do, but fortunately the bear cub ran into the woods.

Back
Top Bottom