Old Nipissing Road - Dual Sport/Adventure/Touring Ride - Saturday, May 9th | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Nipissing Road - Dual Sport/Adventure/Touring Ride - Saturday, May 9th

Follow the left branch 10 km to Orrville, keeping right at the two intersections you encounter on the way. This takes you over the Turtle Lake road, and on to Star Lake Road.
That route looks good. I would like to try as much of the road as possible, even the north section - it's something I've wanted to do ever since I first rode the nice parts of it and read more about it.

Also, last weekend as we rode along both the 141 and the 518, I took a look down Turtle Lake Rd as I rode past it a few times and it looks very doable for our bikes on street tires. Turtle Lake Rd is hard-packed gravel.

Once on the 518 and about to head north on the Nipissing Road, we can also go right (south) and try out the part of it that seems to lead to a dead end. It might be too rough or tight for big bikes, but I'm curious. (Coordinates: 45.423511, -79.676472)

I used to know someone with a cottage on star lake. I haven't been there in 15+ years but the road wasn't too bad back then, similar to nipissing between 518 and Magnetawan.

Looking forward to this, should be a good ride.

Trying to find a motorcycle GPS btw, if any of you guys are selling a used one or know someone, lmk.
Can't afford to blow 500-700 bucks on a new at this moment.
Heard Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider are the best?

Looks like we have around 8 people interested. If anyone wants to meet in 'Sauga I posted where I'll be leaving from on the first page.

Keeping my fingers crossed for no rain. If it's bad, I can do 16th.

Motorcycle GPS? Is there a difference between that and a normal GPS? I just have my garmin GPS mounted on the handlebars.
My plan is to leave from Yonge/Eglinton area at ~7am.

Trying to find a motorcycle GPS btw, if any of you guys are selling a used one or know someone, lmk.

Looks like we have around 8 people interested. If anyone wants to meet in 'Sauga I posted where I'll be leaving from on the first page.

A motorcycle gps would be a more robust one that can withstand the vibrations and hopefully falls that come with a bike.

I would stick with a Garmin personally. I had a 60csx until I fell and hit a tree, now the screen is cracked.

I will plan to meet up the Mississauga spot.
Motorcycle gps is generally waterproof and might have some different tolerances to vibration? I used to use a car based Nuvi and after some long rides it would get really buggy and shut down or freeze up. Not sure if it was just a faulty unit or something else. Now I use the Nuvi 550 which is waterproof and has taken a very serious beating with no issues yet. It's discontinued but simple and cheap if you can find one.

I would take a look at the Garmin Montana (when it's on sale)

or get a rugged android phone and install Osmand+ & Locus Pro

Something like this https://www.chinavasion.com/china/w...Android_Phones/No1-X1-Rugged-IP68-Smartphone/

IP68 Rating: Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof

Mount the phone using ram X-GRIP or the Finger Grip.

To be honest my Samsung Note 4 works WAY better than my Garmin GPSmap 62s, but I worry about having a $900 phone on my handlebars... hence the rugged android phones I linked.

I'll be at the Tims at Innisfil Beach rd/400 at 7:30, coffee and a quick bite. At any point are we expecting the trail to narrow to the point where my v35 side cases will be an issue? If so I'll just run a tank bag/backpack combo.

Enjoy the ride. Given the trail conditions, I would remove those nice V35s as they can get in the way of a quick dismount. Or worse. Would be a good idea to lower tire pressure for the dirt sections and bring a pump to inflate them for the pavement

Mike are you in? what time are you leaving?

My only hesitation is my blasted seat and rapidly disintegrating rear tire :lmao:

Maybe head over to GP Bikes tomorrow and pick up a Airhawk.

Still up in the air on this what is the consensus on start time and end time? I would be in for sure if it wasn't so far to the start point, also not sure if my 1190 is the best bike for this on street tires.

My only hesitation is my blasted seat and rapidly disintegrating rear tire :lmao:
Maybe head over to GP Bikes tomorrow and pick up a Airhawk.
I have both a Canadian Tire Gel seat cover and a Alaskan Leather Sheepskin seatcover you can borrow for the ride if it helps. I used to use these on my old KLR and also on my stock V-Strom seat before I picked up a Corbin. They can attach to your bike via some bungee cords or Rok straps which I can also lend you.

I'm removing my side cases and will have a top box only.

Start time is leaving from Innisfil at 8am. I have to be home in Mississauga by around 6pm so no matter what, I'm going to start my slab home around 4pm. I'm doing this ride on almost worn out street tires and I'm not a good dirt rider by any stretch.

I'm in and actually leaving tomorrow... I am going to investigate the pavement route the guys did last weekend. I intend to camp somewhere on Nipissing Road tomorrow night -- unless it's raining, then I'll check into a hotel in either Parry Sound or Huntsville; I'll meet up with the rest on Saturday morning.

:(
If anyone else is going to be up there, I am still going to go and check it out because I can't really go any other day until July.

I have both a Canadian Tire Gel seat cover and a Alaskan Leather Sheepskin seatcover you can borrow for the ride if it helps. I used to use these on my old KLR and also on my stock V-Strom seat before I picked up a Corbin. They can attach to your bike via some bungee cords or Rok straps which I can also lend you.

I'm removing my side cases and will have a top box only.

Start time is leaving from Innisfil at 8am. I have to be home in Mississauga by around 6pm so no matter what, I'm going to start my slab home around 4pm. I'm doing this ride on almost worn out street tires and I'm not a good dirt rider by any stretch.

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it. I ended up buying an Airhawk DS from GP Bikes today... hopefully it really helps ;)

At this moment prognosis looks quite bad, rain most day and thunderstorm.

I'm leaning towards May 16th unless things change.

Hmmmm.... Looking at 80% chance of rain and 50% chance of strong thunderstorms.

It would be pretty ***** to get stuck in a thunderstorm on Nipissing road.

Will monitor it.....

Back
Top Bottom