Old Nipissing Road - Dual Sport/Adventure/Touring Ride - Saturday, May 9th | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Nipissing Road - Dual Sport/Adventure/Touring Ride - Saturday, May 9th

I'm in, can't wait.

That lost part makes it more interesting, not less. Is there any point on the trip where distance between gas is over 200km? My dual sport has a 7I tank :)

Thread subscribed, date noted....wishing for rain on May 9th as the next Saturday would work better form me :D

Will also get off hwy 11 at Washago and spend the night at my cottage :D

Last edited:
Dammit....my bike probably isn't the best for this type of ride :(

Dammit....my bike probably isn't the best for this type of ride :(

Don't worry, I'm on a versys 650 with st tires :D Shane Kingsleys on a vstrom, not going to get too crazy.

I should be in - day scheduled. The distance of the trip isn't a problem... just getting out of bed! ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the date, but the route looks great when I had a quick look online.

Would appreciate it if you share a post-ride recap and "lost" stories as I'd love to do this later in the season.

Have fun!

^^ Love that avatar pic - I've seen it before on the Killboy Failure thread.

I'm in - looking forward to it and hopefully the weather is good because I have no other free days in May.

I have a electrical gremlin in my bike which I may not have time to get fixed until mid-May, so my low beam headlight is out. No riding in the dark for me, but I'm all good to go for and all day ride between sunrise and sunset.

@Shane, yeah, that Killboy thread is where I pulled the pic from. Whenever I'm bored at work I head over there to check the latest fails.

What tires are you running on your Wee right now? I just got Anakee 3s put on and think they should be more than suitable for the type of roads that would be encountered on this route.

I also have Anakee 3's on mine which are getting pretty low on available tread. If you have a new set on, then you are in much better shape than me. Not quite sure what tires to get next.

I also have Anakee 3's on mine which are getting pretty low on available tread. If you have a new set on, then you are in much better shape than me. Not quite sure what tires to get next.

I liked the Conti Trail Attacks when I had them a few years ago, and the TA 2s are supposed to be even better. The TKC-70s are another option if you're looking for something more aggressive. I was torn between the Anakees and TKC-70s, but in the end went for the one that was better suited for the 95% of the riding I'll end up doing (for now). Much as I love getting off the beaten track, time doesn't allow it much these days.

Thanks, I didn't know about those TKC70's - they look nice, and definitely worth a try. I've had TKC80's and Tourances before and liked them both. Also debating on going full street with the Pilot Road 4's... Too many choices.

Try Heidenau. K76 or K60 depending on how much offroading you want to do.

Anyhow, this is from ODSC, we may be in a jam right from the start!

I think you'll find the section of the Nipissing Road between Rosseau and hwy 518 to be impassible. It was last time I tried a few years ago. At the very least I would expect you'd spend considerable time making an attempt. From Seguin Falls, hwy 518 the Nippissing Road is good gravel road. North of Magnetawan it turns into single lane gravel road. This is probably the most interesting section.

Thanks, I didn't know about those TKC70's - they look nice, and definitely worth a try. I've had TKC80's and Tourances before and liked them both. Also debating on going full street with the Pilot Road 4's... Too many choices.

I'm going to need to figure out a rear tire for my 690... It's destroying my Pirelli MT21 :/

Could also be my right hand... :D

May 8th is booked off so i won't need to work late the night before, so barring bad weather or unforeseen circumstances I'll see you guys there.

So what are you thinking in regards to the start of the Nipissing Road, DemonPig -- in light of the info posted at ODSC?

Do you plan to investigate where it becomes impassable near Rosseau? https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=45.309847,-79.662644&num=1&t=m&z=15

Or would it be better to ride the Nipissing Road from the 518 South until it ends to see what is there: https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=45.376749,-79.68232&num=1&t=m&z=13

Or just ride the Nipissing Road from the 518 Northbound?

Since I now have Friday the 8th off, I am somewhat considering riding up on Friday, camping at the Southern end of the Nipissing Road down from 518, and meeting you guys when you get up there on Saturday around 11am or so. If I do that (and others are welcome to join), I am considering taking the DRZ so I can take the bike a bit further in than I would the Vstrom.

Anyway, even to bypass the impassable area entirely is only 33km, so not a big deal either way:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=N...gIdMLRA-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&t=m&z=11

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom