Oil Leak | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil Leak

Sinz

As some of you probably read that I had a huge oil leak on the DVP on Saturday & this was the outcome of that day...
6728057f60c61b8cdf9f33820d76eb95.jpg

1759a53b7bfd88d05af8c10179b34fad.jpg

5e236e8f155f3a67768987177a52cebc.jpg

The problem has been solved, filled it up with fresh oil & fired it up for 20 seconds & BAM!!!...it is the dry clutch conversion kit, luckily I already have the Ducabike wet clutch set up at home ready to go...so today this is all coming apart & tomorrow the new clutch will be installed!
I am going to miss the dry clutch that's for sure...but here is the problem...
aca4f9560891beb46ab7457801b46b95.jpg

Started to rip it apart & this is where its leaking from...
8cf6d442a47d3e4f9c059b425d626359.jpg

fb7d0afd01ae4d81a7da909316f2c12a.jpg

576d022cb9fcaaae2c8516153ea1eb9a.jpg

Hopefully I will have the bike ready for the weekend but atleast it wasn't the engine!

What kind of oil is that it looks like rad fluid

What kind of oil is that it looks like rad fluid

It's Motul 300V oil, that's why it's green!

hectic. that sucks sinz, glad you have the part(s) and you'll be back up and running this weekend, and best part about it is your doing it yourself too- from these photos at least.

So one of the seals blew on the mainshaft? That looks like more work than just a clutch swap.

The seal is a big nut that has a circlip in there but it's really a poorly designed piece from Ducati Performance, it's a totally different system compared to the 1098/1198 clutches, Ducati Performance doesn't sell the seal alone, to get it you would have to buy another complete kit!

The seal is a big nut that has a circlip in there but it's really a poorly designed piece from Ducati Performance, it's a totally different system compared to the 1098/1198 clutches, Ducati Performance doesn't sell the seal alone, to get it you would have to buy another complete kit!

So nothing has really changed from my 900SS days.

Today I started on the wet clutch assembly, hopefully it will be ready by the weekend...
Wet clutch, gears & plates done...
700af0b8ab1e2c312d8bc7d7aad58323.jpg

Clear cover & pressure plate...
729bc59128a9debdc05fe8fbbebbf446.jpg

New case &oil filler cap...no more clackity clack sound from now on!
5fd6343cbf5142b9945a21f11ae2539e.jpg

Except this bike came with a wet clutch and was converted to a dry clutch. I have never seen this problem on the bikes designed with a dry clutch.

You are correct Steve...the 1098/1198 has no problems with dry clutches, the difference is that the 848 conversion dry kit has a special nut with a seal on it that is contoured to a beveled basket...all other baskets are flat & interchangeable where they bolt on to the shaft, also the shaft for the 848 is a little shorter than the rest so Ducati made it that way so that if it ever fails like mine did they don't make spare parts like the seal, you would have to buy another complete kit...total BS!

Last edited:
Except this bike came with a wet clutch and was converted to a dry clutch. I have never seen this problem on the bikes designed with a dry clutch.

This is a factory Ducati kit for the dry clutch, but for $1700 I would expect some reliability, and failing that, some responsibility.
I wasn't referring to the failure, but the Ducati after sales parts support costs.

Sinz, you should soak the plates in engine oil before assembling.

Dude.. that is a sweet bike... sorry about you bad luck...and lots of cleaning to be done.....

This is a factory Ducati kit for the dry clutch, but for $1700 I would expect some reliability, and failing that, some responsibility.
I wasn't referring to the failure, but the Ducati after sales parts support costs.

Sinz, you should soak the plates in engine oil before assembling.

Ducati did send me a brand new complete kit under warranty but I ended up selling it & buying the Ducabike wet slipper kit just incase if I installed the 2nd kit if I wasn't going to sell it & it started to leak again, I tried to fix the 1st kit a few times then I decided not to install the 2nd kit...I am glad that I went back to wet kit...no more headaches & yes the plates took a nice oil bath overnight lol!

Last edited:
Ducati did send me a brand new complete kit under warranty but I ended up selling it & buying the Ducabike wet slipper kit just incase if I installed the 2nd kit if I wasn't going to sell it & it started to leak again, I tried to fix the 1st kit a few times then I decided not to install the 2nd kit...I am glad that I went back to wet kit...no more headaches & yes the plates took a nice oil bath overnight lol!

Well WTF...that's a completely different story now. Why were you complaining ?

Back
Top Bottom