Bluetooth devices | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bluetooth devices

drey

Hey everyone,

I'm considering getting a Bluetooth for my helmet. I've never had one before and I'm looking at either the Sena SMH10 or the Scala QZ.

It's going to be for phone use and music, not pairing with any other device. I was just wondering what other riders experiences are with either of them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Hey everyone,

I'm considering getting a Bluetooth for my helmet. I've never had one before and I'm looking at either the Sena SMH10 or the Scala QZ.

It's going to be for phone use and music, not pairing with any other device. I was just wondering what other riders experiences are with either of them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

+1 on this thread. I'm currently a Scala user, and considering the Sena because it just looks so much more user friendly with the dial.

I've been using a Sena SMH10 for a couple years and it works nicely. The dial makes it really easy to use.

There's a version that lets you use your own ear phones if you prefer.
I've had no issues using it with various phones and Garmin GPS's.

I've been using a UClear 100 boomless mic. I tested it out and no wind noise was heard on the other side at 80km/h but sounds of acceleration go through. Even so, I was told that when talking, my voice is heard clearly over the engine/exhaust.

Still getting used to the fell of the buttons but it is pretty easy to operate for music, calls, and voice command. Wire quality seems a bit flimsy but I can't really comment on that since I only started using it this season.

I got a 2 pack on sale which came out to about $110 each.

Last edited:
I just got a Sena 20S and I have no clue how I lived without one. Get what suits your budget and needs, and you will be very happy.

Been using one for about 5 years. (tried a cheap-o brand once, then went to the SENA range) - SENA SMH5/10 or 20S are great because they are easy to use. The jog deal beats the rest of them. The stores used to carry SCALA a few years ago, but I think more carry SENA.
The 20S has had some issues when first launched. The SM10 is the unit I would recommend. Its solid and works well. Been out for a few years now so not many bugs. I just sold my spare SMH10 last week.

The SENA SMH10 and 20S allow you to pair with non-SENA headsets too.. pretty sweet - you can pair to UCLEAR or SCALA.

If you search here, the archives and also the WWW you will find dozens of reviews. Good luck, and dont get too distracted!

I'm leaning towards the Sena but Royal has the Scala for $129. If the audio quality is similar then that might be my best choice. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone

If you are just using it for phone and music skip these expensive units and get a simple Bluetooth unit.

I have noisehush ns560 which is about a size of ipod shuffle. I bought it couple years ago for like $30 I think.

I just pair it to my phone, use a Velcro sticker to attach to inside the chin bar (full face helmet) so I can control play/pause/volume. The Mic is on the unit and since it's in front of my mouth inside the helmet I can receive calls and talk too.

If you are just using it for phone and music skip these expensive units and get a simple Bluetooth unit.

I have noisehush ns560 which is about a size of ipod shuffle. I bought it couple years ago for like $30 I think.

I just pair it to my phone, use a Velcro sticker to attach to inside the chin bar (full face helmet) so I can control play/pause/volume. The Mic is on the unit and since it's in front of my mouth inside the helmet I can receive calls and talk too.

How much room is in your helmet?

Im using a Scala. Great for riding 2 up or in groups. Also good for music or talking, clear reception. If you feel youll get distracted easily, dont get it. Otherwise its a great tool.

How do you guys find the volume of the headphones? Can you hear clearly when someone is talking or music is playing.

Last year I just velcroed my iPhone headphones to the inside of the chin bar and used that as my phone while riding haha.

Sent from my iPhone

How do you guys find the volume of the headphones? Can you hear clearly when someone is talking or music is playing.

Last year I just velcroed my iPhone headphones to the inside of the chin bar and used that as my phone while riding haha.

Sent from my iPhone

On my Sena SMH5, and earplugs in, I can hear music / phone calls clearly.

fiancé and I use the Sena SMH5 and we love them...great for talking to each other, listening to music or answering phone calls...talked to a few people on my phone and no one even noticed I was out on the bike...you can even share music with one another...Sena has also recently come out with a helmet cam, the Prism, which will interface with their headsets...that means you can record an audio commentary as the camera is recording video footage...pretty cool option in my opinion, but it's also over $500...get the Sena, you'll have no issues with it...and it offers free firmware upgrades which you download quite easily...

I have the SMH10 with the baseplate to run my earbuds; love it.

Rarely take calls, but clarity is fine when I do. Mostly use it for music.

I have the Scala G4 and my father has the Scala G9. I also have the Sena 20S and a couple of buddies have the Sena SMH10 units. In my opinion, Sena is easier to use, has better range, if you are planning to use it to listen to music then for sure the Sena has better sounding speakers and more volume than you will ever use. The SMH10 has less then half the range of the S20 and the wind noise from the microphone is much higher than the S20. The S20 also allows you to plug in your own set of ear phones if you have a higher end set handy and want even better sound and noise isolation. The S20 also allows you to listen to background music even if you do decide at some point to ride with a group using intercoms but the SMH10 doesn't have that feature it is either the music or the intercom. Don't get me wrong, they are all pretty good units with comparable battery life but the Sena units are a step above. Which model you get depends on your budget.

I hope this helps a bit.

I have the Scala G4 and my father has the Scala G9. I also have the Sena 20S and a couple of buddies have the Sena SMH10 units. In my opinion, Sena is easier to use, has better range, if you are planning to use it to listen to music then for sure the Sena has better sounding speakers and more volume than you will ever use. The SMH10 has less then half the range of the S20 and the wind noise from the microphone is much higher than the S20. The S20 also allows you to plug in your own set of ear phones if you have a higher end set handy and want even better sound and noise isolation. The S20 also allows you to listen to background music even if you do decide at some point to ride with a group using intercoms but the SMH10 doesn't have that feature it is either the music or the intercom. Don't get me wrong, they are all pretty good units with comparable battery life but the Sena units are a step above. Which model you get depends on your budget.

I hope this helps a bit.

Dont forget the SENA's allow you to pair to non-sena branded headsets too

Back
Top Bottom