What would cause straight line instability and scraping/grinding noises turning? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would cause straight line instability and scraping/grinding noises turning?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Went for a rip yesterday. I noticed a few weeks ago, when the weather was cold, taking 30km/h highway ramps at 60km/h caused a lot of instability. I figured it was the weather so took it easy.

Yesterday, same thing happened but I ended up hearing random scraping noises that started occurring more frequently as the ride went on; the rear started kicking out every so slightly too. This never happened on left turns (though I only turned left at intersections and Bayview -> DVP). Eventually the front started becoming very unstable in a straight line above 60km/h (wobbling back and forth).

Google says wheel bearings, bike is at Speedworx right now...just wanted to discuss cause this sucks =(

Bike is a 2008 GSX-R750 regularly serviced at Speedworx.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2291862 said:
Went for a rip yesterday. I noticed a few weeks ago, when the weather was cold, taking 30km/h highway ramps at 60km/h caused a lot of instability. I figured it was the weather so took it easy.

Yesterday, same thing happened but I ended up hearing random scraping noises that started occurring more frequently as the ride went on; the rear started kickout out every so slightly too. This never happened on left turns (though I only turned left at intersections and Bayview -> DVP). Eventually the front started becoming very unstable in a straight line above 60km/h (wobbling back and forth).

Google says wheel bearings, bike is at Speedworx right now...just wanted to discuss cause this sucks =(

Hey, at least nothing went horribly wrong while you were in the middle of a turn.

Steering head bearings could be worn?

Have you checked to see if a pinecone was stuck anywhere?

Hey, at least nothing went horribly wrong while you were in the middle of a turn.

I heard a few scrapes along with wobbles mid corner. I'm going to have nightmares at this rate.

油井緋色;2291869 said:
I heard a few scrapes along with wobbles mid corner. I'm going to have nightmares at this rate.

****** start to the season..
First, ****** weather, next bike problems.

edit: ugh, haven't been on GTAM so long, I forgot about the language filter lol...

油井緋色;2291862 said:
...just wanted to discuss cause this sucks =(

If you want to get into specifics you can unload in trash talk everything is feces thread. Some people are trying to turn it into a play date thread, it's gotten so bad even sonny (not the annoying Honda guy) wants in, but just ignore that. Pinecone,above, lol never gets old.

Where is the scraping noise comming from ? did you have your wheels of lately ?

This thread needs to moved to the Technical section.

I'd say wheel bearings as well but if your feeling problems in the front and back its hard to imagine both wheel bearings went at the same time. Unless the front of the bike is screwing with the back or vice versa.

Where is the scraping noise comming from ? did you have your wheels of lately ?

This thread needs to moved to the Technical section.

I think the scraping is coming from behind...maybe the rear is hitting parts of the swing arm. It sounds like a mild version of scraping pegs.

油井緋色;2291945 said:
I wouldn't be typing this if my kickstand was down and I went on a ramp.

Well... If you're only making right turns on the on and off ramps, you're all good with your kickstand down. xD

Wheel bearings.

油井緋色;2291941 said:
I think the scraping is coming from behind...maybe the rear is hitting parts of the swing arm. It sounds like a mild version of scraping pegs.
have you had your wheels off lately ?

have you had your wheels off lately ?

Nope...this seems like a progressive thing as there wasn't any scarping before and there wasn't wobbling until the end of the night.

油井緋色;2291960 said:
Nope...this seems like a progressive thing as there wasn't any scarping before and there wasn't wobbling until the end of the night.

If it got progressively worse then it's likely the wheel bearings, especially if the wheels haven't been off lately (otherwise would have suggested a spacer being mounted incorrectly and/or missing etc).

If it was the steering head bearings you could recreate the effect at a stop. Apply front brake, rock back and forth. You would be able to hear a clicking sound due to excess play.

If people want technical advice, it would make sense to tell us the model and age of bike.

I'd look at the wheel and swingarm bearings. Something corroded over winter and failed on the ride.

If it got progressively worse then it's likely the wheel bearings, especially if the wheels haven't been off lately (otherwise would have suggested a spacer being mounted incorrectly and/or missing etc).

If it was the steering head bearings you could recreate the effect at a stop. Apply front brake, rock back and forth. You would be able to hear a clicking sound due to excess play.

I wish you had told me about the steering head bearings 4 years ago. The first bike I had, had bad steering head bearings but I didn't know any better cause I didn't know what a bike in good condition was supposed to feel like. It wasn't until I brought my bike over to Fawaz at Speedworx and he explained the situation.

Back
Top Bottom