Issued speeding ticket...Not signed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Issued speeding ticket...Not signed

bigfoot

I got a speeding ticket yesterday but here are some things I would like to clarify

Got pulled over by an unmarked Dodge Caravan and the female cop who was at the back of the van issued me a ticket, No radar and the male driver said he was pacing me.
Can the one sitting at the back seat still issue me a speeding ticket even though they aren't driving and have no way to testify the actual speed ?
They issued me a printed ticket from the printer in the vehicle and it is not signed. Does it not have to be signed to be valid ?? Anyone run into this situation before ?
Thanks for your help

Electronic tickets don't need to be signed

There is precedent for this; check CanLII for electronic signatures; the courts recognize that the officer had to login to their computer in order to print

You should request trial and request disclosure to see what evidence they have; pacing requires a speedometer certification and evidence the tire pressure was checked.

I got a speeding ticket yesterday but here are some things I would like to clarify

Got pulled over by an unmarked Dodge Caravan and the female cop who was at the back of the van issued me a ticket, No radar and the male driver said he was pacing me.
Can the one sitting at the back seat still issue me a speeding ticket even though they aren't driving and have no way to testify the actual speed ?
They issued me a printed ticket from the printer in the vehicle and it is not signed. Does it not have to be signed to be valid ?? Anyone run into this situation before ?
Thanks for your help

Hi,
just curious, was this OPP or one of the police services like Peel ?

City of London v. Caza, 2010 ONSC 1548 (CanLII)

[1] The applicant, the Corporation of the City of London (“the City”) brings this application seeking an Order of mandamus with certiorari in aid with respect to the quashing of three Certificates of Offence by his Worship Justice of the Peace Bruinewood on January 5th, 2010.

[2] The reason provided by the Justice of the Peace for quashing the certificates was on the basis that they were not signed.

[4] During the month of September 2009, the London Police Service implemented a new technology which allows for the issuance of electronically based Provincial Offence Notices, to replace the traditional, carbon-paper based, multiple copy, paper ticket.

[5] To issue an electronic ticket, a police officer must log into a computer system by entering a user name and password. Thereafter, the officer is required to populate various data fields, including but not limited to date, name, address, charging statute, short form wording, charging section, set fine and signature. When the ticket is complete, it is printed on a mobile printer and a copy is provided to the offender (respondents).

[11] Sitting in chambers on January 5th, 2010, His Worship Justice of the Peace J. Bruinewood examined the tickets to determine if they were complete and regular on their face, pursuant to s. 9.1(2) of the POA and proceeded to quash the tickets on the basis that: “no signature of provincial offence officer”.

[8] At the time of their issuance, the tickets were produced electronically, on a Form 1 document, by PC Rowsell, using an electronic device installed in a London Police Service cruiser. The electronic device affixed an e-signature in the signature box, located on the lower, left side portion of the ticket, on behalf of PC Rowsell.

[24] Clearly, the electronic Certificates of Offence are intelligible and cannot be altered after the document has been signed electronically because the offender receives a copy from the officer which cannot be altered thereafter. As well, the document properly contained a code, name and even the number of a person as the originator of the document for identification purposes.

26] Accordingly, I find that the electronic signature of the police officer affixed to the Certificate of Offence is presumed to be correctly affixed in accordance with the officer’s official duties pursuant to the POA, and its regulation.

[28] An order in the nature of mandamus is hereby granted directing His Worship J. Bruinewood to enter convictions for the three offence notices pursuant to his jurisdiction under s. 9(1) of the POA.

SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE - ONTARIO
JUSTICE J. N. MORISSETTE

Durham (Regional Municipality) v. Zhu, 2011 ONCJ 193 (CanLII)

24) Modern times require modern ways. There was initially a challenge to the issuance of electronically-generated tickets and more specifically to the ‘electronic signature’ of the investigating officer. Both matters have been disposed of by way of case law, and today electronically-generated ‘tickets’ are common-place. So too are electronic notes here to stay. It would seem the writing is on the wall so to speak, of the days of being unable to read an officer’s handwritten notes in disclosure packages all across the province.​

ONTARIO COURT OF JUSTICE
Justice of the Peace R. J. Le Blanc

This was from City of Toronto , Got a ticket on Overlea Blvd off Don Mills Rd. I guess I should request for disclosure at this point.

Request disclosure and here's why if there are 2 cops at the scene they both have to submit notes if you get your disclosure back and only 1 officer submitted notes then they either have to provide the other officers notes or your ticket gets dismissed… This just happen to my wife case dropped. Good Luck!

A lmg time ago in a galaxy far, far, away, I too experienced one policeman measuring my speed and another policewoman writing the ticket. At trial the policewoman testified that she was operating the speed measuring equipment.

Request disclosure and here's why if there are 2 cops at the scene they both have to submit notes if you get your disclosure back and only 1 officer submitted notes then they either have to provide the other officers notes or your ticket gets dismissed… This just happen to my wife case dropped. Good Luck!

Exactly the same here. YES, you have to request the evidence from both officers.

In my case, I made clear in my request for disclosure that my intention was to examine both officers in court, because one was measuring my speed (with the radar) and another prepared and signed the ticket. I asked that both of them be in the courtroom (they only sent me notes from one officer, and I submitted my disclosure request again).

When only one of them showed up at trial, I talked to the prosecutor, and she just dropped the charge.

Back
Top Bottom