Bike wont rev passed 8k... lost power? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike wont rev passed 8k... lost power?

Kramminn

Hey guys,

So today was the first day of warm weather and had the chance of taking my bike out all day. Went all the way up to Gtown then down to Hamilton. It was a great ride until the ride home.

I was on the QEW riding along doing my thing... I down shift and i instantly lost power and my bike would not climb in RPMs. its like stuck at 8000-9000rpm range.

I did some searches and getting hits on the spark plugs, coils, fuel pump. Im going to have my friend test the my rectifier( not sure if it has anything to do with it) and will see how that is holding up.

I hope this isnt going to clean my bank account out to just to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or a fix for it. The bike is a 2006 GSXR-600.

Make sure you drain the fuel and fill her up with Shell 91 if you're still running it with the stored winter fuel. If the bike detects a fuel injection problem it might be in "limp home mode" which limits your power and rev's. Give it a rip with fresh fuel and see how she goes.

I'm going to suspect your secondary throttle plates aren't opening. I've had this happen on two different gsxrs, I removed the plates from the throttle bodies and everything was good. You do lose a few hp in the midrange (1-3hp) doing this but it's the cheapest way and gets you out of a bind. It's easy to try it out just make sure to heat up the screws as they've got locktite on them and they're easy to strip. If it doesn't fix the problem put them back in (with locktite!!) and search elsewhere. The other option is to replace the throttle bodies (if this is the problem) as I believe you cannot remove the servo motor (you can physically remove it but you'll never get it back on properly, it's impossible).

Make sure you drain the fuel and fill her up with Shell 91 if you're still running it with the stored winter fuel. If the bike detects a fuel injection problem it might be in "limp home mode" which limits your power and rev's. Give it a rip with fresh fuel and see how she goes.

Thanks for the help. I doubt its the octane gas because iv probably went through already 2-3 tanks of gas this season already(I ride a lot). If the fuel injectors were dirty or something would it bring on a issue this suddenly?

I'm going to suspect your secondary throttle plates aren't opening. I've had this happen on two different gsxrs, I removed the plates from the throttle bodies and everything was good. You do lose a few hp in the midrange (1-3hp) doing this but it's the cheapest way and gets you out of a bind. It's easy to try it out just make sure to heat up the screws as they've got locktite on them and they're easy to strip. If it doesn't fix the problem put them back in (with locktite!!) and search elsewhere. The other option is to replace the throttle bodies (if this is the problem) as I believe you cannot remove the servo motor (you can physically remove it but you'll never get it back on properly, it's impossible).

Ill keep this as a option too. After sleeping on it I am suspecting more the fuel line over the spark plugs and coils. But will see its, rule of elimination.

Hey guys,

So today was the first day of warm weather and had the chance of taking my bike out all day. Went all the way up to Gtown then down to Hamilton. It was a great ride until the ride home.

I was on the QEW riding along doing my thing... I down shift and i instantly lost power and my bike would not climb in RPMs. its like stuck at 8000-9000rpm range.

I did some searches and getting hits on the spark plugs, coils, fuel pump. Im going to have my friend test the my rectifier( not sure if it has anything to do with it) and will see how that is holding up.

I hope this isnt going to clean my bank account out to just to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or a fix for it. The bike is a 2006 GSXR-600.

Like I suggested when you called yesterday, check the basics first.

Make sure it is charging well,
Make sure it has fuel, fuel pump is flowing well
Make sure it has good spark
Make sure all the cylinders are firing.
Make sure it isn't throwing any codes.

Like I suggested when you called yesterday, check the basics first.

Make sure it is charging well,
Make sure it has fuel, fuel pump is flowing well
Make sure it has good spark
Make sure all the cylinders are firing.
Make sure it isn't throwing any codes.

Yeah im checking those. But it doesn't make sense to me, if the fuel pump was faulty and wasn't delivering fuel then it would not start.

I sent you a text about the spark plugs already that I am changing them. Might as well since I have it taken apart and I dont know when it was replaced last.

I didn't see any codes or CHECK on the guage when this happened so ill double check on that.

Yeah im checking those. But it doesn't make sense to me, if the fuel pump was faulty and wasn't delivering fuel then it would not start.

I sent you a text about the spark plugs already that I am changing them. Might as well since I have it taken apart and I dont know when it was replaced last.

I didn't see any codes or CHECK on the guage when this happened so ill double check on that.

A clogged fuel filter, poor electrical connection or tired pump could all allow the bike to run fine at idle, but not provide enough fuel at high rpm.

My money is on one cylinder not firing, touch each header with a wet rag while the bike is running, listen for the cold one.

A clogged fuel filter, poor electrical connection or tired pump could all allow the bike to run fine at idle, but not provide enough fuel at high rpm.

My money is on one cylinder not firing, touch each header with a wet rag while the bike is running, listen for the cold one.

I changed the spark plugs tonight, and still had the same problem. I am have a feeling its a coil myself. Im going to have to do the old school coil test and see which plugs are sparking and which ones arnt.

I also checked the codes by throwing the bike into dealer mode. I got C00, which leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong but I know there is something wrong. Its really weird. I just have to play process of elimination at this point.

Stock header? If so then check the easiest thing first which is the SET valve. Hold it open with your hands and see if that fixes it. They have a tendency to act up over time.

Update:

I had local shop look at my bike for two days and they came back with that the timing chain skipped and that there is a manual tension on my bike. I spent $150 to get it diagnosed ( which sucks because it didnt even fix the problem) and I am surprised it took them 2 days to notice it has a manual tensioner on it. Im pretty frustrated with the matter but what can you do? On the upside they did confirm that all four pistons are firing and there is no ticking

Frekeguy is going to be looking at it on Saturday and hopefully everything will be fixed and she will be back on the road.

Update:

I had local shop look at my bike for two days and they came back with that the timing chain skipped and that there is a manual tension on my bike. I spent $150 to get it diagnosed ( which sucks because it didnt even fix the problem) and I am surprised it took them 2 days to notice it has a manual tensioner on it. Im pretty frustrated with the matter but what can you do? On the upside they did confirm that all four pistons are firing and there is no ticking

Frekeguy is going to be looking at it on Saturday and hopefully everything will be fixed and she will be back on the road.
Wow, you're super lucky. When my cars timing chain skipped a tooth all hell broke loose and $7k later for a new engine!! Buy a lottery ticket :)

Update:

Uhh if your timing chain has jumped timing there's a 99.9% chance you've got bent valves and you need to remove the head now. Also to diagnose this and only charging you $150 is a good deal. They had to pull the valve cover which on a street bike is probably charged 1hr shop rate and then put it back together all the while "diagnosing" your problem. PS if this didn't fix the issue then that wasn't either wasn't the problem or there's damage done.

Wait...your bike won't rev past 8,000rpm and the shop told you it's because your timing jumped? This doesn't make sense. And if your reving the bike to 8,000rpm with your timing out it wouldn't last more than 100km before you broke a valve.

What at shop is doing the work? Did they adjust the timing? How far was it out?

Last edited:
The shop is Bartz Motorcycle shop in Mississaauga. I know nothing about bikes, i know my way better around a car then a bike.

I normally take my bike to Frekeguy(Fiaz) but I really wanted to get my bike fixed fast so I can ride it given that its going to be 20 degree today so thats why I took the bike there.

So with what you just said, its possible that its not the timing and it could be something else. They said the timing chain probably jumped 1-2 teeth. How far was what out? No they did not tighten the chain. they left it as is I believe. I am not riding it, I dont know what damage is done and dont want to make it worse.

Does the bike idle smooth as normal? The timing chain is NOT your problem.

When you hit 8000 rpm. Does it sound like its bogging out or does it sound like its hitting rev limiter??

Last edited:
The shop is Bartz Motorcycle shop in Mississaauga. I know nothing about bikes, i know my way better around a car then a bike.

I normally take my bike to Frekeguy(Fiaz) but I really wanted to get my bike fixed fast so I can ride it given that its going to be 20 degree today so thats why I took the bike there.

So with what you just said, its possible that its not the timing and it could be something else. They said the timing chain probably jumped 1-2 teeth. How far was what out? No they did not tighten the chain. they left it as is I believe. I am not riding it, I dont know what damage is done and dont want to make it worse.

If the bike starts and sounds normal then your timing isn't off. It would sound like the bike is running on 2 cylinders and probably bacfire/sputter. It would also still rev while destroying your valve train.

As 1sickcivic asked what does it sound like?

I've never heard of Bartz so I can't comment on their ability but reading this I'll just keep my mouth shut.

If the bike starts and sounds normal then your timing isn't off. It would sound like the bike is running on 2 cylinders and probably bacfire/sputter. It would also still rev while destroying your valve train.

As 1sickcivic asked what does it sound like?

I've never heard of Bartz so I can't comment on their ability but reading this I'll just keep my mouth shut.

It sounds exactly what 1sicCivic described. Its starts up fine. Idles normal. When I run it it boggs out at 8k RPM. The bike does sound and feel like its on two cylinders, im not sure about the backfire though.

Its my first time I have taken it in there. I don't know if they actually looked into it into to detail or if its just a shot in the dark.

You can tell by grabbing the headers. The ones that don't burn your hand are not firing.

Back
Top Bottom