Oil Filter Issues | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil Filter Issues

Lord Business

So in getting the bike ready for nice weather, I decided to changed the oil this weekend. Whilst removing the oil filter, which took about 10 minutes as it was incredibly tight to remove, I noted a bunch of gouge marks on the oil filter stud. Anyone ever come across this? I looked online and that stud is only like $6. I think it's gonna be a bi*ch to replace tho. Any suggestions are welcome. I didn't want to put the new filter on, so now I can't ride it to a shop.

You mean the filter mount threads? If the threads are ok, shouldn't be a problem. Though it depends on how the gouges got there. Maybe someone before used a screwdriver thru the filter to remove a previous one. Pics?

Looks like someone jammed a screwdriver through a previous oil filter. That part is replaceable, just a PITA.
732f775d1fe27da02e1db71aaf5ccc03.jpg
b44a86edf0d2f46de278451655d1df0e.jpg

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, and would put the new filter on and just carry on...

It looks like the new part just threads in. So if it were me I would just buy two nuts that thread over and lock the nuts together to remove old part or just get the pliers out. To install new part use the jam nut idea.

or just use a thread file... whatever floats your boat.

As mentioned previously by Corpse use a proper thread file to chase the threads and you should be good to go. If you don't have a set of thread files I can lend you mine for a hefty cash deposit if your willing to pick them up from the city. If your careful and patient you can clean up the threads with a small triangular file but I would not suggest this unless you have had some experience cleaning threads already. What ever method you employ make sure to plug the center with some paper towel so that any filings wont make their way into the stud.

The filter studs generally are very easy to change. If you look down the center of the stud, you should be able to see the inside is hex to accept an allen key or allen head socket. Just spin the old one out and replace with the new one.

Apparently it's not a replaceable item on the 1000. The 600 and 750 are replaceable only. What about filing down the damage to a taper so the filer bypasses it and running a die down the remaining thread?

***Update***
With the help if my friends in our machine shop, we sourced a die nut and I was able to clean up the threads enough to spin a new filter back on with no issues.
a5a808ec87e30614bf3e46861bae7205.jpg

For cutting threads. There's this one, which I used, and there's adjustable ones that are circular and have a set screw for adjusting the depth with which to cut.

29d2d02db64f14db7765f30a8092f162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom