Downsizing from a Blackbird, Would you do it? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Downsizing from a Blackbird, Would you do it?

Mezzanine huh? Somehow I doubt that, you have some knowledge.

Since you asked:
Weight training and bodybuilding (natural) for the past 35 years, bodybuilding competition many years ago in the NPC, won the Pacific USA and West Coast as a 19 year old and qualified for the Nationals, did a tour with the USMC, trained with a couple of IFBB pros when I lived in California, was on the tug of war team (unique method in the Marines, speed strength), did slightly over 10.6 sprinting the 100m at my best, play around with a friend in his dojo kickboxing and grappling but nothing serious, still train intensely when the old body permits it, and still asked if I am competing in shows. I'm no heavyweight but OK for an old man of 45.

And I still get uncomfortable on sportbikes on the long haul. :)
You & Sonny should have a kickboxing match. I'm taking bets

Forget the gsx650f, or the bandit, etc. Next time Kawasaki has a demo ride take out the concours 14. This s what you're looking for!

I just downsized from my Yamaha FZ1 to a FZ6R. To be fair, I just picked up the new bike yesterday and have ridden less than an hour on it. Also, the FZ1 was going as it was 12 years old, 193,000 kms and needed work to get it on the road. So downsizing was not my main objective.

On the plus side, riding in the city I thought - wow - this is great, why didn't I do this earlier?

Hit the highway and thought - wow - this stinks, why did I do this?

Smaller bike equals lighter, nimbler - corning is more fun - u-turns are a breeze.

Highway riding and touring - I have to admit I haven't had enough saddle time on the FZ6 to be fair about this. The power is significantly less, but whether it is adequate - that may just be a matter of perception. The FZ1 does 120 without even breathing hard - the FZ6 certainly doesn't have a problem - it might just be a matter of getting used to the higher revs.

Also for touring, I will have to add a luggage rack.

So both pluses and minuses - depends on the kind of riding you are doing. I'm not going to say its a mistake, because mid-level and beginner level used bikes are fairly easy to get rid of. The FZ6R is a 2011 with 9,800 kms on it - for all intents and purposes its a new bike and I paid $5,000.00 for it all in.

is downsizing the key here? I'm thinking posture is the focus.

I went from a busa to an 883. Did a 1200 conversion (sportster, so shaddap, the lot of you), but still didn't have any oomph to her. I liked the posture a bit more to be honest, but wasn't a secure riding position at all (feet forward).

You're looking for more of an upright 'chair' seating position i'm guessing, as opposed to a smallder displacement (unless you're looking for an insurance savings). To me a 600 isn't exaclty well suited for long highway runs.

Hi All:
Insurance savings certainly a consideration as the Blackbird insurance has gone up 50% in the last 3 years and fewer companies will even cover it. GSX650F $640 per year and Bird $1,550 with clean record, 40 years riding experience (which means little to them)

Hi All:
Insurance savings certainly a consideration as the Blackbird insurance has gone up 50% in the last 3 years and fewer companies will even cover it. GSX650F $640 per year and Bird $1,550 with clean record, 40 years riding experience (which means little to them)

Make some phone calls and drop to minimum coverage. A couple years of fire and theft/collision and you pay for another Blackbird.

Make some phone calls and drop to minimum coverage. A couple years of fire and theft/collision and you pay for another Blackbird.

This.

Didn't put collision on the Busa and with Liab (2 Mill) + fire and theft ($500 deductible), it's $840/yr.

Too true. There's little point in paying for collision anyway, the bodywork is worth more than the whole - if it's damaged the carrier will just write the bike off.

Strange but collision on the Blackbird was so small was not worth dropping. What I am paying now ($1550) was the best I could find.

$900/year all coverage in for my Blackbird, with Meloche Monnex, clean record and I am an old man...

Since I am getting a little long in the tooth I am coming close to pulling the trigger on buying a used Suzuki GSX650F to set up as a mid-size sport-touring bike. Presently riding a mint CBX1100XX Blackbird but finding it pretty uncomfortable these days. You can see below the bikes that I have owned and am worried that I may regret losing 1/2 the HP and sheer power of the Bird.
Another advantage would be insurance savings of almost $800 per year.
Anybody else out there had similar experience? Regrets??
Thanks

Still having problems feeling the love from my FZ6R after downsizing from my FZ1. I honestly didn't think the loss in horsepower would bother me - I'm not a big person, in fact I had the FZ1 lowered - I don't ride 2 up and even with all my touring stuff loaded, I'm probably still only the weight of an average male rider. STILL...

My FZ1 was going to the scrap yard anyway (although someone did take it off my hands as a project bike), so its not a disaster, but if it had been a mint condition bike that I still loved I would definitely be full of regrets for downsizing.

Now if you could swing both bikes :)

Still having problems feeling the love from my FZ6R after downsizing from my FZ1. I honestly didn't think the loss in horsepower would bother me - I'm not a big person, in fact I had the FZ1 lowered - I don't ride 2 up and even with all my touring stuff loaded, I'm probably still only the weight of an average male rider. STILL...

My FZ1 was going to the scrap yard anyway (although someone did take it off my hands as a project bike), so its not a disaster, but if it had been a mint condition bike that I still loved I would definitely be full of regrets for downsizing.

Now if you could swing both bikes :)

What about looking at an FZ6? kinda like a meet-in-the-middle from where you went to where you are, riding wise.

I would guess you'd be disappointed with the tiny pistons.

Still having problems feeling the love from my FZ6R after downsizing from my FZ1. I honestly didn't think the loss in horsepower would bother me - I'm not a big person

Nothing beats big honkin pistons on the open road even if you don't use the top end rush.

I only have liability insurance on my Bandit 600 and it is $400 a year with Meloche Monix. I imagine similar rates for the 650. Food for thought.

I have Heli bars and peg lowering blocks from jaws. Touring screen makes huge difference too - I don't like the look of it, but it makes up for it in comfort on long rides.

Thanks again for all the input. Pegs have been lowered now deciding on the Helibars...man they are not cheap

Thanks again for all the input. Pegs have been lowered now deciding on the Helibars...man they are not cheap

Have you priced out the speigler kit? They are great and you can change out bars for adjustability. I had the helibars for my sv650, nice but no adjustments, what you see is what you get.

Back
Top Bottom