Battery revival a last suggestion before dropping money on a new battery | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery revival a last suggestion before dropping money on a new battery

zuk-r

Hey guys, Im new to the forum but not new to the bike world and figured id share a little something about battery revival. As you all know these winters here suck and often come spring batteries are dead. Some guys may know this but if your battery is dead and your thinking of replacing it there is sometimes a chance you can revive it. If you look at the top of the battery there are caps that cover the cells of your battery. If you remove the caps you can expose the cells. Usually when your battery is dead it is because the cells have no more battery acid. What you can do to fix this is you can actually go to the nearest grocery store and pick up some DISTILLED WATER and fill your cells. DO NOT FILL IT RIGHT TO THE TOP, fill it enough that just the cells are covered with the DISTILLED water. Once completed put the caps back on and hook it up to a trickle charger for 10-24 hours and wire it back up! Ive done this to a few of my batteries and has worked. Just a tip hope it helps!!!

You can always try if you want but usually when the plates in a cell are exposed they've had it

My vote would go to pitching the battery, but at the very least I'd remove it before trying this. If things go badly, it means you don't coat your bike with battery acid.

Also keep in mind although you might recover it, it will still be damaged. This means it won't hold a charge as good as a new one, and could leave you stranded somewhere in future. New is definitely worth $40-70 in my books.

You can always try if you want but usually when the plates in a cell are exposed they've had it

Not necessarily. Ive been using the same battery for the last 5 years or so and in occasions i have had more than half the cells exposed due laziness. The only time they go bad is when the connection between the cells rusts out or using tap water to top off the battery.

Back
Top Bottom