Motorcycle tires different grades ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle tires different grades ?

pfbmgd

Just had new rubber installed .Bought my tires from a reputable retailer . They are name brand and from a discount distributor .BTW it`s my second set from this distributor . My installer used several ounces to balance my rear ( a 250) .He told me it took excessive amount of weight to balance the tire .He told me that there are 3 grades of tires available to major distributors .There grades are A to C .C being the tires that come out of the mold that are not the best balanced .The compound is the same and they are just as safe .But to balance the tire it may take more weight than the A grade tire .

Is there any truth to this ?

What brand / model tire are we talking about here ?

It is true, you can observe the paint marks on the bead (usually 3 close together) that signify the balance to the tire builders. Whether or not they actually separate the tires into grades I'm not sure, but I have sorted through piles of car tires tat the retailer o find four that needed the least amount of weight back when I knew what the colours meant. But generally the lower priced tires can require more weight, especially bias ply versions because they are heavier to begin with. If the wheel is balanced, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Just to clarify the tires are Avon Cobra 120/19 and 250/18 tires .I checked my records the first set was bought from a non discount retailer . The tire code date are 3214 front and 4314 rear .

Left and right side of the rim .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom