Old Motorcycle Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Motorcycle Helmets

Can they be thrown out?
You might be able to donate them to a place that runs first aid courses. Sometimes they have a need for these depending on what they teach.

Agreed on first aid course donation. Cut the straps off first though.

A 5 year old helmet can still be used unless it's really beat up. It's not a carton of milk that expires. Drop it off at Goodwill.

Agreed on first aid course donation. Cut the straps off first though.

Curious - why cut off the straps? I'd think that'd be the 'trickiest' thing for someone to get a hang of if they're unfamiliar.

Just my personal preference, when I get rid of a helmet it's usually because it's knackered in some way and I wouldn't want someone else using it thinking it's going to offer it's best in protection. I always assumed EMS cuts the strap off an injured motorcyclist anyways.

Your local fire department may want them. They sometimes use them for training on how to safely remove a helmet at an accident scene.

I only get rid of it if it's completely destroyed. I even had my first helmet EVER that I got when I was 6 and got my first dirtbike but I moved in with a psycho and she made me get rid of it (yeah, I got rid of the wrong thing). I have a few helmets now I'd like to put in a showcase in the garage.

I recently got employed by the Fire Dept. When I did my first responders course I asked the trainer if they'd accept helmet donations and he said yes.

I'll try and find out the best way for members of the public to donate their old lids.

Personally I'm keeping mine. I kind of like thinking about having a collection of all my helmets from years gone by. Also might use the 'newest' old one for things like go karting as it would fit 100x better than the ones they provide, and has a mount for my Drift HD Ghost.

Can they be thrown out?
You might be able to donate them to a place that runs first aid courses. Sometimes they have a need for these depending on what they teach.

Thank you, I will look into your suggestion. My helmets have no issues, just bought a new one this year, and have no need for the old ones. Can't store unused items; bring something in, something has to go.

People who sell helmets.

It's 8 years of use, 10 years outright, according to Arai.

EPS degrades with time and mechanical stresses of wear. It's just stryofoam.

But, I've never seen any study actually comparing the force absorption of old vs New helmets.

For those who are interested, you can drop off your old motorcycle helmets at 129 Glidden rd in Brampton. During regular business hours you can drop them at the front entrance with reception and say they are for:

Captain Scott Hewlett in Brampton Fire Dept Training

I'll try and see if there is a contact for Mississauga Fire Dept.

For those who are interested, you can drop off your old motorcycle helmets at 129 Glidden rd in Brampton. During regular business hours you can drop them at the front entrance with reception and say they are for:

Captain Scott Hewlett in Brampton Fire Dept Training

I'll try and see if there is a contact for Mississauga Fire Dept.

My local fire hall said they would get it to the right people if I just dropped them off.

I'm interested in what they think about full-face versus modular helmets for safe removal after an accident.

Back
Top Bottom