St Thomas dual sport ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

St Thomas dual sport ride

dirtbag

Anyone up to ride the abandoned rail line west of St Thomas? Did it last spring with 2 friends on 650s (a KLR & DR) both with 80/20 tires. They had some fun getting through some of the large mud puddles. My DRZ400 with kenda trackmasters was the perfect set up.

This line runs as far west a Dutton but we didn't go that far. At some point we headed south , and then back east along the lake for lunch and beer on a patio in Port Stanley.

Some time in April would be good in order to catch some of the puddles that made it interesting last year.

We can get into dates and meeting spots if I see some response.

I'd be into it. I intended to go on the ODSC rail trail run from St. Thomas last fall, but didn't make it.

When you go there on the DRZ, don't you find getting there and back via slab the most tiring part?

When I rode the ODSC run by Port Burwell last fall, that ride home afterwards sucked, and is why I am considering trailering the DRZ to the far riding spots now.

I remember going down the rail trail by Port Burwell when I was a kid on a friend's RM125 ... great memories, had no business going that fast on a bike that needed to be on the kickstand in order to start it, we were so small.

I would love to get a dual sport now!! Sigh..

When do you plan on going? How long is the trail?

I'm really up for some exploring this year.

Mike - You're right the DRZ is not the best street bike (especially after trimming an inch out of my seat...) . I rode down from St Marys and by the time I got home we had logged maybe 300km so I was a bit sore but that said I would ride down again rather than mess with the trailer.

Demon Pig - Envision a mud puddle. Now envision some as long as 40 or 50 feet. That's what it looks like.

SweetOnion - Yes of course you should get a DS

Chasem - This trail goes all the way to Dutton - about 65km (I'm told). I get a 4 day weekend every 3 weeks but I also work Saturday every third week. So Saturday is an option 2 out of 3 weeks but Sunday is always open.
This weekend (April 11) is my 4 day(Friday & Monday off), next week I work Saturday, followed by a normal 2 day weekend after that. The cycle repeats. I'll work with whoever is keen.

Last edited:
Who's up for Sunday the 19th. I think I can do that - working on the 18th.

Just started rebuilding my deck so will likely screw the weekend after next (25/26) but maybe....

Who's up for Sunday the 19th. I think I can do that - working on the 18th.

Just started rebuilding my deck so will likely screw the weekend after next (25/26) but maybe....

I'm good for Saturday, and until 7PMish on Sunday.

Sorry guys I screwed up. I'll be rebuilding my deck this coming weekend so it will have to be the 25th or 26th for me.

I can give directions if anyone wants to go down next weekend.

Sorry for the mix up

pm sentHey, could you please send over the GPX or any directions? going to try to get up there this tuesday... PM Sent
(looks like Saturday won't work for me either)

Who's up to ride this weekend? 7 day forecast calls for a mix of sun and cloud with a high above 10 both days. My preference is Saturday but Sundays good if it works better for someone else.

This coming Saturday is the Bethany ride, although that might be a bit far from you... I might be good for Sunday, it all depends on how Saturday goes.

I'm not sure what bikes ya'll are on, but Sunday is the Beagle Bash Enduro and Trail Ride. I'll be racing the Enduro, but I'm sure the trail ride would be a blast.

I'm not sure what bikes ya'll are on, but Sunday is the Beagle Bash Enduro and Trail Ride. I'll be racing the Enduro, but I'm sure the trail ride would be a blast.

Note that the Beagle Bash enduro is not for vstrom type bikes. Usually a great route/course.
Coincidentally, I got first place in my class there in 2010, my first time. :)
Saturday is the race, Sunday is the trail ride, lots of fun.

What and where is this Beagle bash enduro? The St Thomas rail will still be there next weekend.....

What and where is this Beagle bash enduro? The St Thomas rail will still be there next weekend.....

Just google "beagle bash enduro/trail ride. The start line is usually on the Main Street in Turkey Point, on the beach. The trail ride portion on Sunday is part of the OFTR trail ride series. With your new drz, you should actually google the trail ride series, so much fun, especially the Algonquin two-day, and the Soggy Boot.

Note that the Beagle Bash enduro is not for vstrom type bikes. Usually a great route/course.

Saturday is the race, Sunday is the trail ride, lots of fun.

Yes. I don't think it's for vstrom type bikes.

Race and trail ride are both Sunday. The trail riders will start after all the racers have left.

Back
Top Bottom