Prepping Rotors for New Pads | GTAMotorcycle.com

Prepping Rotors for New Pads

ABCarr

Site Supporter
What is the type/model of Scotch-Brite wheel to be used when preparing used rotors for new brake pads? Would the Multi-Finishing Wheel be the one to get?

Most pads have brake in compound on the surface that helps in bed in. Just wipe the rotors clean (if they aren't glazed) and get some heat cycles in.

While Frekeyguy is correct, there is an exception. Some pad manufacturers will advise you to clean your rotors if you are switching from one type of pad compound to another (ie semi metalic pad to dual carbon pad). This mostly applies to race compound pads. Follow the advice from the manufacturer as they will know what is required. If you do need to clean your rotors don't use a power tool! A cheap kitchen cleaning pad, soap and water and elbow grease will be more than enough. parillaguy

While Frekeyguy is correct, there is an exception. Some pad manufacturers will advise you to clean your rotors if you are switching from one type of pad compound to another (ie semi metalic pad to dual carbon pad). This mostly applies to race compound pads. Follow the advice from the manufacturer as they will know what is required. If you do need to clean your rotors don't use a power tool! A cheap kitchen cleaning pad, soap and water and elbow grease will be more than enough. parillaguy

I'd suggest using brake clean vs. soap. Soap will leave a film , and water has minerals. Brake Clean is a solvent and will evaporate - clean rag + brake clean.

If you do need to clean your rotors don't use a power tool! A cheap kitchen cleaning pad, soap and water and elbow grease will be more than enough. parillaguy

Would the thinking there be to reduce the aggression with the surface prep, to avoid scoring them or altering the surface uniformity? I'm currently running the stock pads in the Brembo calipers on a '11 GSX-R750, planning on switching to Vesrah RJL.

Vesrah even states "no bedding in required". Go out and get some heat into them (in a controlled environment of course) and they'll be fine.

if you are using a different pad from what is already on the rotor. sand blast them. otherwise you are trying to mate 2 different types of material together. we spend alot of money for pads. do you not want them to work at their best? or do you just want the sticker?

I use Brake Kleen when they squeal a bit.And every few years i carefully resurface them with my brake hone. (Sandblast! Where did you get that idea from?)
P4180146_zpscrwjt9sr.jpg

P4180147_zpsozytpasj.jpg

if you are using a different pad from what is already on the rotor. sand blast them. otherwise you are trying to mate 2 different types of material together. we spend alot of money for pads. do you not want them to work at their best? or do you just want the sticker?
from here^^^
I use Brake Kleen when they squeal a bit.And every few years i carefully resurface them with my brake hone. (Sandblast! Where did you get that idea from?)
P4180146_zpscrwjt9sr.jpg

P4180147_zpsozytpasj.jpg

Well ok then.He is a racepro,he must know his stuff.

I don't have access to other methods of cleaning rotors, so I too use the same type of stone hone on a drill. I got mine from Bluestreak.

Wet sand and finish with brake clean works good, just prepped mine for new vesrah srjl pads

When i converted to carbon pads. It was recomened to me by some big deals. They were correct. Any other pad matierial comprises the layer needed on the rotor for the carbon pads to work. If your lazy and dont break hard. Im sure anything will work. I have that hone also. Good. But blasting is best. And easy there wingboy.

Well ok then.He is a racepro,he must know his stuff.

He does, he can keep the pace with our current super bike Canadian champ. On an old ass bike.
So yes i would be confidant to both take and respect his advice, unlike most gtam'ers his posts come with actual hands on experience not just other internet advice.

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom